How do you guy's/gal's practice point shooting?

How do you guy's/gal's practice point shooting?

This is a discussion on How do you guy's/gal's practice point shooting? within the Training & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the General Category category; I was just wondering how everyone practices point shooting. And if you don't then we can also talk about that. Den...

Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How do you guy's/gal's practice point shooting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 How do you guy's/gal's practice point shooting? 
    I was just wondering how everyone practices point shooting. And if you don't then we can also talk about that. Den
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

2. #2 Re: How do you guy's/gal's practice point shooting? 
    From my trips to the range, I seldom if ever see anyone practicing point shooting( fast, using front sight only) or point and shoot( fast using no sights) . I typically practice point and shoot from the low ready, raising the gun only to waist or slightly higher. With SD in mind, both ways should be practiced.
    Denny4kids likes this.
    those who keep score tend to keep it in their favor.

3. #3 Re: How do you guy's/gal's practice point shooting? 
    *Unless I am missing something I too seldom see people point and shoot at the range. I mostly see target shooters. Tough to say...for me I practice both. Very important.
    *I practice point and shoot from the low ready, raising the gun slightly higher than the waist for point shooting fast using no sights. I then switch to putting the front sight on target for quick shoot. I throw in some double tap drills with keeping the front sight on target and keeping a stance for follow up. I love target shooting but the past few years I have increased point and shoot drills with all my firearms. Range time is divided into testing firearms, zeroing in sights and testing mags/ammo. Then point and shoot drills. And then I shoot at targets to test out ammo accuracy. Depends on what you take to the range each week. I always practice with CCW firearms and take some rimfire for fun.
    Last edited by rclark28; 09-10-2020 at 08:51 AM.
    louchia and Denny4kids like this.
    Wounded Warrior Project
    "Protect the ones you love!"
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    NRA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: How do you guy's/gal's practice point shooting? 
    I generally practice point shooting from retention. In my case this means my elbow is tucked by my side and bent like I am hip shooting. In competition we shoot from this stance to shoot through an 8" circle from 1/2 to 5 yards once in a while. We usually take this shot and run to another position. I'm pretty quick to pick up my sights when I quickly extend my weapon out to shoot but I do make fast shots and transition to another target and not use sights. I have included an interesting article with some point shooting history and a video of a drill I use sometimes. I can finish it in 4.5 seconds, sometimes longer. This drill is way to fast to use sights. Den

Why Point Shooting Is Useless To Practice (Don't Waste Your Time!) - Prepared Gun Owners

"We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

6. #5 Re: How do you guy's/gal's practice point shooting? 
    I don't ever practice that close and prefer a slightly further away distance to speed shoot:

I practice speed shooting on these steel plates on my range out back of my shop. Nobody to tell me what I can or can't do there. And, it works for me.
    There is absolutely NO reason to hate this country. Just think about what you have.

7. #6 Re: How do you guy's/gal's practice point shooting? 
    I think it is a matter of what you are practicing for. If you practice to defend against a thug on the street that intends to take your belongings or hi-jack your car, or a shop owner fending off a thug on the other side of the counter, drawing and shooting from the hip is what will be needed. If the offender is 15 ft away, then perhaps the Fairbairn method. Practicing both is a good idea.
    SGW Gunsmith likes this.

8. #7 Re: How do you guy's/gal's practice point shooting? 
    It is a matter of practicing for a specific need or scenario. For me like others have stated it is real smart to train for both.
    One thing that will wake you up for the need to train. Try and pull your firearm from your waste band while behind the wheel of a vehicle or sitting down at a table. Not much time in a hot situation to aim or react. Too many things can go wrong no matter how much you practice. Just get out and train as much as possible. I am looking for some point and shoot drills to practice with so this is a good thread for me. Also it is not a bad idea to get additional training if you have access to it.
    *The older I am getting the more fun I am having training. Do what is best for you but just get out and practice practice practice practice...know your firearm!
    Wounded Warrior Project
    "Protect the ones you love!"
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    NRA Member

9. #8 Re: How do you guy's/gal's practice point shooting? 
    Quote Originally Posted by rclark28 View Post
    It is a matter of practicing for a specific need or scenario. For me like others have stated it is real smart to train for both.
    One thing that will wake you up for the need to train. Try and pull your firearm from your waste band while behind the wheel of a vehicle or sitting down at a table. Not much time in a hot situation to aim or react. Too many things can go wrong no matter how much you practice. Just get out and train as much as possible. I am looking for some point and shoot drills to practice with so this is a good thread for me. Also it is not a bad idea to get additional training if you have access to it.
    *The older I am getting the more fun I am having training. Do what is best for you but just get out and practice practice practice practice...know your firearm!
    Great post. My opinion is if you do train while seated at a table or sitting behind the steering wheel of your car have a fellow shooter watch for safety reasons. You may be covering some part of your body and not even knowing.
    In competition we shoot from behind the wheel and while sitting at a table but we start with our weapon sitting on the seat or on the table. Drawing from a holster in these positions is pretty unsafe. When we have the club pickup on a stage we will have to run up with weapon in hand and lay down on a carpet and shoot around the front tire at a target. Pretty fun!
    Here is a video of me many years ago at a night shoot. I made plenty of mistakes. I was slow, and dropped my reload mag and had to grab another. my hits were good. This was the last stage on a rainy night. my pants were soaked and head was wet so were my hands. And oh, I was wearing a heavy rain coat. light was a fenix 1000 lumen held by my ear. Even with the mistakes and weather this was really fun! Denny

rclark28 likes this.

10. #9 Re: How do you guy's/gal's practice point shooting? 
    Lots of practice. And then more practice. Barely use sights at all. Just the front sight in a very offset peripheral view. Not really focusing on the sights but eyes like lasers to the target. I Have been doing this for years. Focus on the target same way as a baseball pitcher. Do speed drills pulling the trigger as fast as possible to multiple targets again focusing on the targets.
    With BB guns, Have some one behind you throw out a coke can, quickly draw and shoot. Take sights off of your gun and train without them. Does wonders.
    You can do more drills with a BB/Pellet gun then you ever imagined. The goal is to train your eyes and mind and hand/fingers.
    For so many years I have watched so many shooters target shooting their carry guns. Especially the pocket gun, revolvers and Micro 9mm's. Be quick or be Dead.

Ps Learn to shoot BB guns at night with no lights. It really hones the skills.

11. #10 Re: How do you guy's/gal's practice point shooting? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyshooter View Post

Ps Learn to shoot BB guns at night with no lights. It really hones the skills.
    Does sound like fun. The problem that I see is that when you miss you can't see how, right, left, up down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads