Bent ejector SR22

Bent ejector SR22

This is a discussion on Bent ejector SR22 within the SR Technical forums, part of the SR category; Hi all. I'm using an SR22 to introduce my daughter to shooting and the last 2 times at the range I've noticed an increase in ...

Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bent ejector SR22

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Bent ejector SR22 
    New User
    Hi all. I'm using an SR22 to introduce my daughter to shooting and the last 2 times at the range I've noticed an increase in malfunctions. Mostly FTL's and FTE's. A few times I'v head to pry live rounds from the chamber that did not fire. Today I felt like the slide was sticky and figured maybe it was dirty. We got home and I did a thorough cleaning and noticed that the ejector is bent. The slide defiantly is hanging up as it crosses this area so I am pretty sure that's the culprit. I am taking it to my local gunsmith in the morning but in the meantime I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if there are any theories on how the ejector would get bent like this?
    Bent ejector SR22-img_0071.jpg
    Sorry the photo got turned, you can see the bend more pronounced with the photo rotated counterclockwise

2. #2 Re: Bent ejector SR22 
    Just curious. What kind of ammo were you using. Ruger support is pretty good. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

3. #3 Re: Bent ejector SR22 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZK421 View Post
    ...... Mostly FTL's and FTE's.
    What, exactly, do you mean by the two abbreviations above? I don't know what "FTL" means and "FTE" has two distinctly different meanings ("Failure to Extract" and "Failure to Eject") which are significantly different from each other. It would be best if either the abbreviations were not used or at least define them at the first use in a post.

If you have a problem with a Ruger firearm, don't start by paying a gunsmith. Call Ruger's Customer Service. Our experience is that they will very likely send a shipping label to get the firearm to them for free. They then repair the firearm and send it right back to you.

Thanks
    louchia likes this.
    Skip Douglas

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Bent ejector SR22 
    New User
    Quote Originally Posted by studenygreg View Post
    Just curious. What kind of ammo were you using. Ruger support is pretty good. Good luck.
    Remington Golden Bullet. I originally thought it was the ammo until I got home and saw the ejector.
    Last edited by SkipD; 04-10-2016 at 09:48 PM.

6. #5 Re: Bent ejector SR22 
    New User
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
    What, exactly, do you mean by the two abbreviations above? I don't know what "FTL" means and "FTE" has two distinctly different meanings ("Failure to Extract" and "Failure to Eject") which are significantly different from each other.
    Sorry, I'm not even sure what I meant by FTL lol. I think I meant failure to fire as several times my daughter pulled the trigger and it was a click. Pulling the slide back revealed a live round in the barrel that had to be careful pried out with a fingernail. It was a pain because locking the slide all the way back made it so you couldn't access the round so i ran the risk of losing a finger if I lost grip of the slide lol. As far as the eject and the extract I guess I am unsure. We did have several stovepipes as evidenced by the dented casings I saw laying around my station and I believe those are failure to extract. Again sorry for the confusion.

I plan to call Ruger first thing in the AM rather than the gunsmith. I was thinking staying local would be better than having to ship but I've been reading other threads that show Ruger makes the process pretty painless and quick.
    Last edited by SkipD; 04-10-2016 at 09:50 PM.

7. #6 Re: Bent ejector SR22 
    I have had a few fte's with bulk ammo. It doesn't bother me a bit. My sr22 is still one of my favorite pistols I own.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

8. #7 Re: Bent ejector SR22 
    Just call Ruger customer service, they will ship it, fix it and ship it back to you and it will not cost you anything. Ruger stands behind their products.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    Logic will get you from A to B, Imagination will take you everywhere.
    μολὼν λαβέ

9. #8 Re: Bent ejector SR22 
    New User
    Hello, any luck on getting this fixed? I bought mine a few months ago and just realized I have the same problem. Thanks

New User
    Sorry if this is an old post but I just picked up a new sr22 today and experienced the same issue when I was trying to induce rimlock, cycling live rounds.

Experienced a double feed and found out the ejector was not hardened steel.

Bent it back with a pair of pliers with the suprised of it being alot easier to bend than it should. I straightened it out the best I can, an will be heading to the range after work tomorrow.

I will relay my results in the evening, but my current conclusion, so far, is this pistol does not like to be cycled with full weight, full length, live ammo.

It is just for plinking, it is not my ccw. But the ease of it bending reminds me of 1/8th inch sheet metal from shop class years ago.

Most reviews I've read an watched praised it's reliability, and I know cycling full length/size/livery ammo is never the norm.

This is an unfired (except from factory) test. If it makes it threw the 200 ish rounds I'll prolly go throught tomorrow. I'll be extremely happy.

If it fails I will send it back.

Either way, the ejector needs to be hardened. I'll be looking for a hardened replacement reguardless.

11. #10 Re: Bent ejector SR22 
    Definitely call Ruger and send it in.
    I carry a small dowel rod in my range bag. Occasionally a 22 case will expand enough that it sticks in the chamber after the extractor hook slips off. The rod is used to push out the case from the mussel end. No finger nails needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads