Guiderod change

Guiderod change

This is a discussion on Guiderod change within the SR Discussion forums, part of the SR category; Has anyone changed the plastic guide to a new stainless guide rod on their SR-22? I did this on my wifes LCP and increased the ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By ETS
  • 1 Post By pennsy
  • 1 Post By wsitgm
  • 1 Post By SGW Gunsmith

Thread: Guiderod change

1. #1 Guiderod change 
    Has anyone changed the plastic guide to a new stainless guide rod on their SR-22? I did this on my wifes LCP and increased the spring weight to 13lbs, it made a difference. I changed the spring on my LCP Custom, which had a stainless guide rod standard to a 13lb also, making it a better recoil recovery.

2. #2 re: Guiderod change 
    ETS
    Plastic guide rod to stainless ok. Changing the spring is definitely better than the Ruger engineers ever considered and smarter, too.
    louchia and SGW Gunsmith like this.
    ETS
    +++("Ed")+++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LCP(2), LCP Custom(4) LC9S (semi-pro)(3), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, MK IV Tactical, SR 22, 10/22 Takedown Lite, M77(.223), Mini-14, PCC 9
    NRA Benefactor
    Gun Owners of America
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

3. #3 re: Guiderod change 
    Which LCP had a plastic guide rod? My Gen 2 is not.
    louchia likes this.
    Raylan Givens > Justified > Quotable Quote
    “If you run into an ahole in the morning, you ran into an ahole. If you run into aholes all day, you're the ahole.”

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 re: Guiderod change 
    I havn't seen any reason to change the SR22 guide rod.

6. #5 Re: Guiderod change 
    Actually there might not be anything wrong with the plastic guide rod in the SR-22 but the plastic guide rod in one of the LCP's that I have got kinda chewed up before I changed it. I just believe it better to have a ridged stainless one with a heavier spring. Maybe just my opinion...

7. #6 Re: Guiderod change 
    I replaced my plastic rod with a tandemkross stainless and had endless feed problems (a new spring should be kitted in). Went back to original plastic rod...no problems.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    SGW Gunsmith likes this.

8. #7 Re: Guiderod change 
    The original guide works great and still does with our original SR22's. Unless you really want to and have some issues you should be good with the original. I did test a metal one.
    *I installed the "Galloway Stainless Steel guide rod assembly" in my range SR22. It ran and cycled without issue. This test was more out of being curious than anything else. The original guide rod assembly works great in both of our SR22's but just had to see for myself if the Galloway metal rod would run. Several range friends have Galloways in theirs for several years now without any issue. Our daughter has the TK in hers and it runs as advertised as well.
    *Galloway Stainless Steel guide rod assembly installed on range tested SR22 worked for me but I will just keep the original in.
    *All range ammo worked well with metal guide rod as did the original.
    CCI SV 40gr 1070fps. (SV had feeding issues in the beginning but now runs and cycles.)
    All other range ammo worked well as before the install.
    CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPRN 40gr. fps 1235
    CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPHP 36gr. fps 1260
    Blazer 22LR 38gr. 1235fps. LRN
    Blazer 22LR 40gr LRN 1255fps
    Remington Golden Bullet 22LR 40gr. 1255fps. Plated RN
    *The metal guide rod did seem stiffer and solid. I love my SR22's and have had ZERO issues with these Ruger's!
    *Yes we know it is a old thread but I gave my test results anyway!! Have a great day and be safe.
    Wounded Warrior Project
    "Protect the ones you love!"

9. #8 Re: Guiderod change 
    First thing I noticed when we got our first order of Ruger SR 22 pistols was the "black noodle" plastic guide rod. When I locked the slide back and could then flex that plastic part into a semi-circle, I immediately went to my stock of steel rod and set up my lathe to make a replacement that would give me more comfort with guiding the slide through its performance:

It took quite some time before commercial types became available, but I made quite a few until that point. Never experienced any negative issues. I've also replaced the plastic "noodle" in my LC9 and in my Glock 23. Maybe it has something to do with how I've seen "plastic" front bumpers explode into pieces all over the highway.

The comfort level means more to me in that I don't think the steel guide rod will break, even though I have no history of what the "noodle" will do. I'm just not much of a gambler.
    " I really like this NEW .45. It certainly gets a lot more done than the old .44 ever did."

10. #9 Re: Guiderod change 
    Quote Originally Posted by wsitgm View Post
    I replaced my plastic rod with a tandemkross stainless and had endless feed problems (a new spring should be kitted in). Went back to original plastic rod...no problems.

Being that they just purchase items and then resell those under a different name, they really don't have any sort of "quality control program", nor do they do any product testing.
    I've replaced quite a few of the parts they sell with those that have been thoroughly tested and endorsed here.
    wsitgm likes this.
    " I really like this NEW .45. It certainly gets a lot more done than the old .44 ever did."

11. #10 Re: Guiderod change 
    Had great luck in my Security 9 with a Galloway spring and rod.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads