Ruger Pistol Forums banner

Did you know the Ruger Security-9 is the LCPII's big brother?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  wsitgm 
#1 ·
Maybe everyone knows but me, but I just read an article about the Security-9 and the 9mm carbine. They mentioned that the Security-9 had the same trigger and firing group as the LCPII! They really liked both weapons, I may pick up the carbine in a year or so. The Security-9 is a full size hammer fired single action weapon that has a manual safety. Pretty cool! Denny

https://ruger.com/products/security9/models.html

#2 ·
Thanks for the like on my joke earlier. I own both of the LCP ll and the Security 9 and both have the factory laser on them. My LCP ll is my pocket carry. I like that they both are hammer fired guns. I don't think I can come across a better feel in my hand than a Security 9 for that price point. I really like them both. I also own a PC 9 Carbine and that is one fun rifle to shoot. Every time I go to my outdoor range with that rifle someone comes up and wants to see and hold it and then asks to shoot it. I know for a fact that at least 2 of those people ended up buying one.

#4 · (Edited)
The Security 9 is actually a double action.
Welcome to the forum Greg B! I believe you are mistaken. Both the LCPII and the Security 9 have the same action, a hammer fired single action with a trigger safety. Ruger calls it a secure action but its really closer to a single action. I guess technically you could call them both a double because the hammer is only cocked 95% and the last 5% is finished when you pull the trigger. I like the Security-9 because it also has a manual safety. On the LCPII I handled the hammer just dropped when I pulled the trigger like a 1911. Denny

Reactions: wsitgm
#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
On my Security 9 If you look at the hammer when you pull the trigger, you can see the hammer come the rest of the way back and then fall. Its partially cocked.
Every thing I've read has called it a DAO firearm.

While the Security-9 incorporates established, proven features, it is not on the cutting edge of design. It is not intended to wow, but to comfort. ... The Ruger Security-9 is a polymer-frame, double-action-only (DAO) pistol, but it's not striker-fired, though we now tend to think of all those terms going together.Feb 26, 2018
Shooting Illustrated | Review: Ruger Security-9 Pistol

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2018/2/26/review-ruger-security-9-pistol/

This says it's double action

American Rifleman | The Ruger P95 vs. The Security-9: 20 Years of ...
https://www.americanrifleman.org/.../the-ruger-p95-vs-the-security-9-20-years-of-evo...
Jan 10, 2018 - It was a brand new Ruger P95 pistol chambered in 9 mm. .... positively bulky next to the internal double-action only hammer of the Security-9.

This says it's neither double action or single action

Review: Ruger Security-9 - Guns and Ammo
Review: Ruger Security-9 - Guns and Ammo
May 30, 2018 - The Security-9 is a good value that features a 4-inch barrel and a blued, chrome-moly steel slide. It's also very easy to disassemble. The Security-9 and LCP II share similar qualities. The trigger is neither a single action (SA) nor a traditional DA.

Either way, it's a nice shooter.

#7 · (Edited)
The article in Shooting Illustrated says the LCP II and the Security 9 are the same trigger system. Sounds like they are 95% single action .

#9 ·
It definitely needs to further cock before firing so technically it is DA. Definitely different from a traditional 1911 or DA revolver though so call it a hybrid?

#10 · (Edited)
I have both LCP II calibers and a Security 9. They all feel the same firing with a slight edge to the Security 9 due to hand ergonomics. I paint the LCP II sights and hammer white. You can see the slight hammer dip just before break on all.

After field stripping and cleaning them all together. It is even more apparent to see the genetic similarity of the three of them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.