Ruger Mark IV Accuracy Kits?

Ruger Mark IV Accuracy Kits?

This is a discussion on Ruger Mark IV Accuracy Kits? within the Ruger MK IV forums, part of the Ruger Standard & MK Pistols category; Ever since the Ruger Mark IV pistols hit the deck, I've been racking my brain involving making parts that will provide a better, lighter and ...

Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Ruger Mark IV Accuracy Kits?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ruger Mark IV Accuracy Kits? 
    Ever since the Ruger Mark IV pistols hit the deck, I've been racking my brain involving making parts that will provide a better, lighter and smoother, yet safe, trigger pull for these pistols. Yes, I know, there are kits available. But, I figure after spending what we did to get this latest version of the Ruger Mark pistol, spending another $120.00 to $150.00 for a target kit is sort of extreme.
    So, I've been working on a system, as time allows, and have come up with a method that works very well in both Ruger Mark IV pistols that I've been using as "beta" examples. My question to you folks is...........what would you accept as a reasonable cost for a DIY installation, using most of the current parts you already have in these pistols?
    Fire away, and if I don't get much info from the folks here, I'll take the question to other forums for an answer. I'm just trying to learn what **NEW** Ruger Mark IV pistol owners like and desire if they can get a smoother pistol with a lighter, yet safe, trigger pull.

Dennis
    Theo98 likes this.
    There is absolutely NO reason to hate this country. Just think about what you have.

2. #2 Re: Ruger Mark IV Accuracy Kits? 
    Great idea and thanks for your quest to save the Mark IV owners some money. I thought of a glitch and a solution for it. Some Mark owners may want to keep their original unaltered parts to reinstall in the event the weapon has to have a warranty repair. You could send the modified parts with a core charge that would cover your cost to replace the original parts. personally I can't put a price on your mods because I don't know how much time they take to perform. Even if your mods take little effort you should be compensated for your R&D. Thanks again. Denny
    SGW Gunsmith likes this.
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

3. #3 Re: Ruger Mark IV Accuracy Kits? 
    Dennis,

Agree with Denny! All of my accurization action components were drop-ins, as I'm keeping the OEM parts for future warranty returns and potential sales. Seems most buyers want stock firearms and are not real interested in paying extra to cover AM parts.

With your available Ruger MkIV parts sources, can you get for modification (minimum action improvements) their trigger (mod for PT & OT), sear (mod with polishing) and of course offer your hammer bushing replacement (eliminating mag dc)?!

Ted
    SGW Gunsmith likes this.
    "FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Ruger Mark IV Accuracy Kits? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
    Dennis,

Agree with Denny! All of my accurization action components were drop-ins, as I'm keeping the OEM parts for future warranty returns and potential sales. Seems most buyers want stock firearms and are not real interested in paying extra to cover AM parts.

With your available Ruger MkIV parts sources, can you get for modification (minimum action improvements) their trigger (mod for PT & OT), sear (mod with polishing) and of course offer your hammer bushing replacement (eliminating mag dc)?!

Ted
    I recently received a fairly large order from Ruger for Mark IV parts. For some unknown reason there are still a few parts that they only install/replace inhouse. Their claim is that "some" parts need fitting. I don't buy into that and haven't needed to actually "fit" any of the restricted, yet duplicate, parts that others sell on the aftermarket. What's most likely more true, is that Ruger is "sue-shy" , and just doesn't want to get involved with an owner botching up an internal part and the blame coming back to them.
    I am working with someone who will make a replacement bushing, once I have my final design working perfectly, so no factory parts will need to sent to be altered, yet some will only be smoothed free from sharp edges and burrs, as part of the package. The idea is to easily replace but only a couple of parts, which will also remove the magazine disconnect. If any owner likes dealing with the magazine disconnect, they'll most likely need to "like" the heavier trigger pull also. Factory parts replaced will/can easily be replaced if need be. From my experience with the Mark IV since they've been introduced, there's not much that goes haywire on these pistols except for several of the "plastic" parts they chose as replacement for the perfectly working steel parts.
    That plastic magazine ejector is one PITA that causes fits for some owners, which is easily fixed, just remove it. The plastic safety detent is another part that's questionable:

The plastic detent, at least all that I've seen, so far, have a flat nose worn away from regular use. See above pic. I suppose a solution would be to not use the safety so the nose tip doesn't flatten out. Rumor has it that Ruger has begun to, now, install "blued steel" detents, same as all the silver steel ones that have been in use since 1949. Maybe they've read my haranging posts concerning that crappy part, or hopefully, discovered the issue themselves.

I do give Ruger mounds of credit for the machining fit involved with the Ruger Mark IV pistols where all the uppers involved will attach onto the lowers without any hiccups that I've been able to find, so far.
    So, if it can be done, whereby the only parts that may need to be replaced is the sear and hammer bushing, that's what I'm working toward. All other factory parts can be cached away, in the unlikely event the Mark IV pistol will ever need to be returned home to the "Mother Ship".

Just curious Theo. After installing those parts kits, how much more accurate is your pistol. I posted here that I received absolutely little accuracy improvement from installing a whole kit. This was shooting with factory parts and then with the "accuracy improvement parts". Only thing I found was trigger pull improvement, but none involved with accuracy
    Theo98 likes this.
    There is absolutely NO reason to hate this country. Just think about what you have.

6. #5 Re: Ruger Mark IV Accuracy Kits? 
    Concerning the Ruger Mark IV trigger, or for that matter, all the Ruger Mark triggers. These triggers are aluminum and serve only one function, to move the sear off the hammer. From what I've seen over the years, involving the Ruger Mark I, II & III target versions, the Mark II & III pistols only have an over-travel screw in the front face of the trigger:

This screw is a real PITA to adjust. It needs to come out, then go back in to see "are we there yet?". An adjustment screw installed into the trigger shoe face makes over-travel much easier to control. A much better solution to eliminate much of the pre-travel, that I use is having the screws bottom end come straight out the front of the trigger with adjustment available by just taking the upper off the grip frame:

With this method, the whole end of the adjustment screw hits the grip frame much more fully, rather than some of the aftermarket triggers where only a tiny bit of the screw threads edge makes contact. Trigger on the far right. Often, that sharp edge will dig into the contact area and then adjustment will need to be corrected for better contact.

Another issue I've found with the aluminum cast Ruger pistol triggers, involves the "elliptical" pivot pin hole in the trigger, it's sorta egg shaped. My fix is to drill & ream that hole so it's round and then install a "steel" bushing that's bore is smooth and round, and fits the pivot pin more precisely offering a smoother trigger pull feel:
    Theo98 likes this.

7. #6 Re: Ruger Mark IV Accuracy Kits? 
    Dennis,

Ted
    Ted,

I posted that ALL of the current parts in the Ruger Mark IV will be used as is, except for the "replacement parts" I'm working on. There's no reason why an owner can't keep those OEM parts stashed away for an unlikely need to return the Ruger Mark IV to Ruger. If the pistol does need to be returned, Ruger replaces any parts that have been modified. or even [email protected]@K like they have, anyway, at "no charge" to the sender. You just don't get any of the modified Ruger OEM parts back.
    Theo98 likes this.

8. #7 Re: Ruger Mark IV Accuracy Kits? 
    Quote Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
    Just curious Theo. After installing those parts kits, how much more accurate is your pistol. I posted here that I received absolutely little accuracy improvement from installing a whole kit. This was shooting with factory parts and then with the "accuracy improvement parts". Only thing I found was trigger pull improvement, but none involved with accuracy
    Absolutely Dennis! After the drop-in replacement parts, Pistol Accuracy had "0" ZERO improvements! However, lighter pull, less travel and crisper breaks greatly improved "MY" ability to stay on target and shoot more accurately with hand held fire! Basically, accurizing kits only assist to improve the "persons shooting skills" (at least my shooting skills)!!

Just as your ransom rest testing proves, taking the Human Factor out of the equation allows a true representation of what a fire arm, using the same ammo, can do! Similarly, a fully rested position with a good scope also removes a lot of the negative effects from the human element, allowing for better analysis of what accuracy that firearm/ammo is capable of!

But of course, I'm just rambling on...You (and the membership) already know all this!

Ted
    "FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!

9. #8 Re: Ruger Mark IV Accuracy Kits? 
    Absolutely Dennis! After the drop-in replacement parts, Pistol Accuracy had "0" ZERO improvements! However, lighter pull, less travel and crisper breaks greatly improved "MY" ability to stay on target and shoot more accurately with hand held fire! Basically, accurizing kits only assist to improve the "persons shooting skills" (at least my shooting skills)!!

Just as your ransom rest testing proves, taking the Human Factor out of the equation allows a true representation of what a fire arm, using the same ammo, can do! Similarly, a fully rested position with a good scope also removes a lot of the negative effects from the human element, allowing for better analysis of what accuracy that firearm/ammo is capable of!

But of course, I'm just rambling on...You (and the membership) already know all this!

Ted
    And that's the point I was making. The VC package is misrepresented as an "Accuracy Kit", and THAT, it is not. It is a kit that contains a couple of parts that only enhance trigger pull weight, so actual accuracy is no different before and then after the installation of the whole kit. I've proved it, several times, with customers Mark IV pistols, shooting from, yes, a mechanical rest that has no emotions. Only one kit does not a benchmark make. I've installed six of those kits for customers, so far, and have another one to do this week. The only part in that kit that creates improvement is the sear and hammer match that creates the better trigger pull, to some extent.
    This is the ONLY method, shooting from a mechanical rest, eliminating all human influence, that can test true accuracy of a handgun that I have found. Even shooting from a solid rest, holding the pistol, there is still that human influence element involved and that can't be denied. A mechanical rest holds the pistol in the very same manner, every time. Holding the gun in ones hand, even in a solid rest, a person can only try to emulate the accuracy involved with the mechanical rest. What really proves that are targets shot before the installation and then after the installation, accuracy when in the rest remains the same.
    The kit may indeed help some individuals to "shoot" better, but the peak accuracy involved with the pistol was already there, even before the kit was installed, and then still, after installation.
    Theo98 likes this.

10. #9 Re: Ruger Mark IV Accuracy Kits? 
    Basically, accurizing kits only assist to improve the "persons shooting skills" (at least my shooting skills)!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
    The kit may indeed help some individuals to "shoot" better
    Dennis,

We're saying the same thing! Personally, I never believed Any of the market product "Accurizing Kits" would make my Ruger's more accurate, just maybe make Me more accurate!! The action accurizing work you are doing could also assist/help the shooter be More Accurate! Possibly, those of us (including me) posting on the forums may be guilty of stating someone Needs to accurize their actions to achieve accuracy. Well, if that has been inferred in the past, it is wrong. Ruger Mk Pistols are inherently accurate, but because they don't shoot matches or game themselves, any little extra help to the shooter (like what you are working on) is always welcomed!

BTW, to answer your original question in post #1 Dennis, IMO $65 to $75 would be a reasonable price to pay for a safe 2-3# trigger pull!!

Ted
    Last edited by Theo98; 09-16-2020 at 10:20 PM.
    "FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!

11. #10 Re: Ruger Mark IV Accuracy Kits? 
    Dennis,

We're saying the same thing! Personally, I never believed Any of the market product "Accurizing Kits" would make my Ruger's more accurate, just maybe make Me more accurate!! The action accurizing work you are doing could also assist/help the shooter be More Accurate! Possibly, those of us (including me) posting on the forums may be guilty of stating someone Needs to accurize their actions to achieve accuracy. Well, if that has been inferred in the past, it is wrong. Ruger Mk Pistols are inherently accurate, but because they don't shoot matches or game themselves, any little extra help to the shooter (like what you are working on) is always welcomed!

BTW, to answer your original question in post #1 Dennis, IMO $65 to $75 would be a reasonable price to pay for a safe 2-3# trigger pull!!

Ted
    My contention still remains that the kit should be considered a "Pistol Performance Kit" rather than an Accuracy Kit. Calling it an accuracy kit will dupe some owners into thinking that all they need to do is install the said kit and accuracy is automatically produced, not so. The kit does provide for a better trigger pull weight, better pistol performance due to better mechanical action. The kit provides for an adjustable trigger to gain faster trigger position recovery, that's better performance involving the trigger. The lightened hammer, will provide faster lock-time, again improving the speed of the hammer hitting the firing pin, slight improvement of the pistol.
    What helps a person to shoot more accurately, whether a kit is installed, or not, is more trigger time and developing a more solid hold, eliminating movement while the trigger is being pulled. All that practice will make a person shoot more accurately. If one can't hold steady, or does not practice often, they will not shoot accurately. Shooting accurately is a "perishable" skill, only maintained through practice as often as one can do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads