Need help with adding an optical sight

Need help with adding an optical sight

This is a discussion on Need help with adding an optical sight within the Ruger MK IV forums, part of the Ruger Standard & MK Pistols category; I'm leaning toward mounting a Vortex Venom red dot on my Mark IV. I would prefer, short term, to keep the open sights. If I ...

Thread: Need help with adding an optical sight

1. #1 Need help with adding an optical sight 
    New User
    I'm leaning toward mounting a Vortex Venom red dot on my Mark IV. I would prefer, short term, to keep the open sights. If I mount the Venom on a Picatinny rail. will the sight picture be too high? Who would be the best source for the Vortex Venom?

2. #2 Re: Need help with adding an optical sight 
    You can keep the open sights with most any optics base you put on the Mark IV, but they will be obscured and not of much use with the optic mounted. Try "Optics Planet" for sight you're looking for.
    "There are many more airplanes at the bottom of the oceans than there are submarines in the sky"

3. #3 Re: Need help with adding an optical sight 
    Quote Originally Posted by dstottlemyer View Post
    I'm leaning toward mounting a Vortex Venom red dot on my Mark IV. I would prefer, short term, to keep the open sights. If I mount the Venom on a Picatinny rail. will the sight picture be too high? Who would be the best source for the Vortex Venom?
    DTM,

Hello and WELCOME to the RPF!

On my MkIV Hunter (see pic), I have the TK pic rail with a mounted Vortex Venom 3 MOA RDR sight. As Dennis stated, there's no way to simultaneously co-witness the open iron sights with this arrangement. Fortunately, the single screw attachment on the included Venom base allows me to detach or re-attach the sight in seconds. When needed or desired, I can use the iron sights, then switch back to the red dot reflex quickly.

Possibly, something like THIS might work, but not sure how you would attach the Venom to it?

Ted

Need help with adding an optical sight-ruger-mkiv-hunter-1.jpg
    "FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Need help with adding an optical sight 
    New User
    What happened to the VorteX Venom 3 MOA? Not available at sources searched.

6. #5 Re: Need help with adding an optical sight 
    Apparently, it's popular!!

Actually it is still listed on their website, so guessing the huge surge in firearm sales has also hit the RDR scope market!?!

Ted
    "FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!

7. #6 Re: Need help with adding an optical sight 
    It could be, that they are going to go with a larger MOA dot. The 3 MOA is sorta small, and from what my limited experience has show with "steel plate" shooters around here, they go with a larger MOA dot.
    "There are many more airplanes at the bottom of the oceans than there are submarines in the sky"

8. #7 Re: Need help with adding an optical sight 
    New User
    I shoot paper and "critters" mostly. The 3 MOA dot seemed better for that. () When I mount the picatinny rail, would it be appropriate to use blue locktite?

9. #8 Re: Need help with adding an optical sight 
    I shoot paper and "critters" mostly. The 3 MOA dot seemed better for that. () When I mount the picatinny rail, would it be appropriate to use blue locktite?
    I feel thread-locker is ALWAYS a good idea for optics bases and sight screws. There are several types of the "blue" Loctite. I used the #242 blue, as it is a serviceable type, meaning you can remove the fasteners with normal hand tools. Don't even bother with the wimpy purple Loctite, it's the weakest of all those we have to choose from and has been found to fail on firearms screws.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads