Ruger Mark IV target apex trigger issue

Ruger Mark IV target apex trigger issue

This is a discussion on Ruger Mark IV target apex trigger issue within the Ruger MK IV forums, part of the Ruger Standard & MK Pistols category; So I have a Ruger Mark Iv target (stainless) and the serial number starts with 5 so it was made after the recalls. I bought ...

Thread: Ruger Mark IV target apex trigger issue

1. #1 Ruger Mark IV target apex trigger issue 
    New User
    So I have a Ruger Mark Iv target (stainless) and the serial number starts with 5 so it was made after the recalls.

I bought an apex trigger kit for it (red anodized trigger). My issue is, the trigger bar would not press into the trigger, very tight fit. So i was able to work a punch in and out of the hole and allowed it to free up a bit and seat in, but its still too stiff for the trigger spring to lift the bar back up right, which results in occasional failure to reset on its own. I'm in canada and apex said to return it to brownells but it took about a month to get here. So waiting 2 months again for a replacement isn't high on my list. I'm not brave enough to drill it out bigger with fear of ruining it. Any suggestions? I was thinking a maybe slightly heavier trigger spring to compensate? Or should I just disassemble and slowly ream it out like i did the first time?

2. #2 Re: Ruger Mark IV target apex trigger issue 
    For me and I am no way an expert. I would polish the trigger bar until it fit the hole a lot better and smoothly operated. I would use some 2000 grit sand paper and cut it into strips wrap it around the shaft of the trigger bar and polish the heck out of it. It will smooth it up and fit the trigger better.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
    For me and I am no way an expert. I would polish the trigger bar until it fit the hole a lot better and smoothly operated. I would use some 2000 grit sand paper and cut it into strips wrap it around the shaft of the trigger bar and polish the heck out of it. It will smooth it up and fit the trigger better.
    I was thinking that as well! It fits now, its just a little too stiff for the spring. It was a bit of a mission to take apart and re assemble lol but I guess I will have to do it again. Thank you for the suggestion!

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Ruger Mark IV target apex trigger issue 
    The pivot pin on the Ruger Mark IV normally runs around 0.0930, or 3/32 in diameter. But, I have measured several of those disconnector pivot pins, and some can be found to be a bit larger.
    I would try drilling the trigger hole for the pivot pin with a 3/32 drill bit and then see how the disconnector pivots. If it's still too tight, you may need to go with a special size reamer. I use a range of reamer sizes that I have made that covers the range of the various diameters I've measured. Sanding with #2000 emery paper could take quite a while with a larger diameter pin than the pivot pin hole in the trigger.

Then again, it may not be the actual pin itself, but the shoulder between the pivot pin and the disconnector body.
    " I really like this NEW .45. It certainly gets a lot more done than the old .44 ever did."

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
    The pivot pin on the Ruger Mark IV normally runs around 0.0930, or 3/32 in diameter. But, I have measured several of those disconnector pivot pins, and some can be found to be a bit larger.
    I would try drilling the trigger hole for the pivot pin with a 3/32 drill bit and then see how the disconnector pivots. If it's still too tight, you may need to go with a special size reamer. I use a range of reamer sizes that I have made that covers the range of the various diameters I've measured. Sanding with #2000 emery paper could take quite a while with a larger diameter pin than the pivot pin hole in the trigger.

Then again, it may not be the actual pin itself, but the shoulder between the pivot pin and the disconnector body.
    Your right its the shoulder as well. That's the stiff part right now after i reamed the hole out.

7. #6 Re: Ruger Mark IV target apex trigger issue 
    Do you have a caliper, or micrometer, whereby you can measure the diameter of that shoulder? It most likely will not be round, so you will need to measure the diameter of the shoulder in a couple areas to find the largest diameter. If the highest diameter comes close to a standard drill bit diameter, or better yet, 0.002 thousandths of an inch bigger that will work for you.
    I would grind the front end of the drill flat and then carefully finger twirl the drill into the shoulder hole in the trigger until the shoulder fits into the hole in the trigger for it. I've made up several cutting bits just for adjusting those hole diameters to the disconnectors varied shoulder diameters, only because I see this condition more often than those who don't.
    " I really like this NEW .45. It certainly gets a lot more done than the old .44 ever did."

8. #7 Re: Ruger Mark IV target apex trigger issue 
    Those triggers retail for a tad under $90.00. Pretty pricey for not fitting properly, and it doesn't appear there are any provisions for pre and over-travel adjustment. A buyer should not need to "fit" the trigger to the disconnector pivot pin for that price.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads