Cleaned my 22/45 without a Youtube video - Page 2

Cleaned my 22/45 without a Youtube video

This is a discussion on Cleaned my 22/45 without a Youtube video within the Ruger MK III forums, part of the Ruger Standard & MK Pistols category; Originally Posted by Denny4kids A day in the sun might also help drying her out. Another idea, the cheapest air compressor at harbor freight will ...

Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Cleaned my 22/45 without a Youtube video

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Cleaned my 22/45 without a Youtube video 
    ETS
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny4kids View Post
    A day in the sun might also help drying her out. Another idea, the cheapest air compressor at harbor freight will deliver 3 to 4 times more air than canned air. With the right nozzle you won't be concerned about leftover moisture. Thanks for posting...great thread! Denny
    Please define "the right nozzle" for us dummies.
    ETS
    +++("Ed")+++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LCP(2), LCP Custom(4) LC9S (semi-pro)(3), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, MK IV Tactical, SR 22, 10/22 Takedown Lite, M77(.223), Mini-14, PCC 9
    NRA Benefactor
    Gun Owners of America
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

2. #12 Re: Cleaned my 22/45 without a Youtube video 
    ETS
    In doing a brief search, the last thread about air compressors/drying agents was around 8 yrs. ago and the references are defunct. The photos are blanked(thanks to Photobucket). Time for a new thread ref. air compressors and assoc. equipment for cleaning?? Come on you mechanical gurus, help the rest of us out.
    Last edited by ETS; 09-16-2018 at 10:00 PM.
    ETS
    +++("Ed")+++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LCP(2), LCP Custom(4) LC9S (semi-pro)(3), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, MK IV Tactical, SR 22, 10/22 Takedown Lite, M77(.223), Mini-14, PCC 9
    NRA Benefactor
    Gun Owners of America
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

3. #13 Re: Cleaned my 22/45 without a Youtube video 
    For me the right nozzle has an extended tube that has a bend in the tip. I had put the bend in mine but I bent the tip for another application. A straight tip may work great also. A thin stem can really get in there more effectively than a blunt tip. Den

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-bl...-pc-68260.html One example.

If your compressor will only be used for light duty a small unit capable of 100psi will be fine. If you think your uses may grow than a larger compressor is a must. I only have a medium size and it runs all my pro. air tools just fine.
    By the way, harbor freight air tools are good quality, cheap, and perfect for home use. I think Lowes stores has a good selection of compressors and accessories that won't break the bank also. Den
    Last edited by Denny4kids; 09-17-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #14 Re: Cleaned my 22/45 without a Youtube video 
    ETS
    Thanks for the info/reference.
    ETS
    +++("Ed")+++
    NRA Benefactor
    Gun Owners of America
    Freedom 's Never Free

6. #15 Re: Cleaned my 22/45 without a Youtube video 
    Well the glass was half full, or half empty? Didn't want to wait 2 more weeks so I poured it out & looked over the parts. Everything looked the same but the 2 silver colored nails were a little gray. No rust on anything. Wondering if something in Simple Green inhibits rust because I expected so see some after a week. Anyway, 16 days equals about 2,000 ultrasonic cleanings since the gun gets wet for about 10 minutes each time. I'll try to post pics. Most forums I can't because too many pixels & I have to find an image resizer & figure out how it works & I'm too tired to fight it tonight. We'll see in a few minutes....
    Ruger LCP .22
    (2) Ruger LCR 38
    Ruger 22/45 Mk 3
    SIG P290RS
    SIG P250 45
    SIG P250 SC 9mm
    (2) Beretta Pico 380
    Taurus 66 .357
    Taurus TX22

7. #16 Re: Cleaned my 22/45 without a Youtube video 
    Cleaned my 22/45 without a Youtube video-img_2102.jpg

Cleaned my 22/45 without a Youtube video-img_2103.jpg

allen wrench, 2 nails, aluminum foil, 2 drill bits, picture frame hook.
    Ruger LCP .22
    (2) Ruger LCR 38
    Ruger 22/45 Mk 3
    SIG P290RS
    SIG P250 45
    SIG P250 SC 9mm
    (2) Beretta Pico 380
    Taurus 66 .357
    Taurus TX22

8. #17 Re: Cleaned my 22/45 without a Youtube video 
    ETS
    "No rust" = good......right?

Guess you got the pictures resized.....that's good, also.
    ETS
    +++("Ed")+++
    NRA Benefactor
    Gun Owners of America
    Freedom 's Never Free

9. #18 Re: Cleaned my 22/45 without a Youtube video 
    Quote Originally Posted by Babbalou1956 View Post
    Put it in an ultrasonic cleaner for 8 minutes, dried it off, blasted it with a can of compressed air. Done. Super clean. It was so gunky it hardly functioned. I have taken it down using the 500 step procedure many times, for various mods & for cleaning. And that is exactly why I didn't want to do it again. This might tick off some traditionalists but for anyone wanting a simpler option here it is. Used the $79.95 Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner, 2.5 liter & Simple Green HD Pro which is actually purple not green. I had considered just getting the Mk 4 & doing the same Volquartsen mods again but this was cheaper.
    Hey, thanks for that info. We recently had a "Harbor Freight" set up a store here in Rice Lake, WI. I'm gonna stop in and see about one of those. I do have a small one that I use to clean small parts that my fingers can't hang on to, but the one you mention sounds like a better plan.
    " I really like this NEW .45. It certainly gets a lot more done than the old .44 ever did."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads