Trigger pull - MK3 vs 22/45

Trigger pull - MK3 vs 22/45

This is a discussion on Trigger pull - MK3 vs 22/45 within the Ruger MK III forums, part of the Ruger Standard & MK Pistols category; I am setting up a Ruger for International Rapid Fire matches. Which would give me a better trigger pull, a MK3 or 22/45 Target? I ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By bberg100
  • 1 Post By SGW Gunsmith

Thread: Trigger pull - MK3 vs 22/45

1. #1 Trigger pull - MK3 vs 22/45 
    I am setting up a Ruger for International Rapid Fire matches. Which would give me a better trigger pull, a MK3 or 22/45 Target? I shoot well with both, but don't have unlimited finances to set up both for competition. Also, both have upgrades including target grips that would fit the 22/45.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. #2 re: Trigger pull - MK3 vs 22/45 
    Welcome to the forum from Western Pa. My thoughts would be MK3 trigger for your matches. I read a lot of info about it and other competition triggers that cost less.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    Logic will get you from A to B, Imagination will take you everywhere.
    μολὼν λαβέ

3. #3 Re: Trigger pull - MK3 vs 22/45 
    As far as I know they are the same trigger. Lots of MKIII triggers mods available, #1 is removing the mag disconnect. Even if it doesn't significantly improve the trigger itself, not having to insert and removed the mag repeatedly during field stripping and reassembly is worth it.
    rpott3 and SGW Gunsmith like this.
    Ruger -Charger, LCP, 1911, Single-Six, Mk III, GP-100, Blackhawk 41, Super Blackhawk 44, Super Redhawk 480, SP-101 22
    S&W - Model 60 .357, Model 29 44
    1911 - Ruger SR-1911, Kimber Tactical II, Colt Gold Cup, Rock Island 1911A1, Springfield EMP (9mm), GSG (22lr)
    A few other auto loaders
    Numerous Single Action wheel guns
    Too many long guns to list...
    Retired USAF. Retired Deputy Sheriff.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Trigger pull - MK3 vs 22/45 
    Welcome to the forum scottselby! The MK3 and 22/45 are very different. One has a grip angle like a German Luger and the other like a 1911. One will probably point more naturally for you. Make sure the one you pick has removable grips, that will make it easier to add a competition custom grip when you are ready. For me grip angle would be more important than trigger because the trigger will be my first upgrade. Also, you can't change the barrel on the Ruger. (I may be wrong) so you might want to research and find out the most popular model shooters use for their build.Another idea would be to search for a used weapon. You might find a $350 weapon with $700 of upgrades for $500! Good luck and keep us posted! Denny
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

6. #5 Re: Trigger pull - MK3 vs 22/45 
    Actually Denny, Tactical Solutions and Volquartsen make uppers for the Rugers, to name two. At the upcoming show, I will be looking for either a 22/45 with removable grips or a good deal on a MK. My current 22/45 has the fixed grips. I am planning on a Volquartsen trigger kit from Rimfire Sports. Rimfire also carries full VC guns.

7. #6 Re: Trigger pull - MK3 vs 22/45 
    Both the Mklll and the 22/45 have the same internals so potentially they will have the same possible results. The target models come with an adjustable trigger though that you can adjust out the over travel. After market, Volquartson and Tandemkross have triggers with the ability to adjust out both pre-travel as well as over travel. Replacing the hammer bushing and the sear will make the biggest differences to improving your trigger pull weight though.

Here is what I'd do... Check out the guns at your local gun store. See what fits your hands best and points the most naturally. Don't forget to check what is in the used cases as you will often find deals there on guns that may be broken in already or are in as new condition at a used price.
    I did the modifications to mine as funds became available to me so I got a lot of experience taking things apart and putting them back together again... Youtube is great for help. If you have any more questions ask, we'd be glad to share answers.
    Last edited by IndigoWolf; 08-23-2016 at 09:33 PM.
    John

Ante Omnia Armari "Before all else, be armed"

8. #7 Re: Trigger pull - MK3 vs 22/45 
    Quote Originally Posted by scottselby View Post
    I am setting up a Ruger for International Rapid Fire matches. Which would give me a better trigger pull, a MK3 or 22/45 Target? I shoot well with both, but don't have unlimited finances to set up both for competition. Also, both have upgrades including target grips that would fit the 22/45.

i realise that this is a 3 year old post, but if there are any other Ruger Mark III owners interested in improving their 'trigger pull weight', here's what I've found. Either get someone who really knows what they are doing and has the proper equipment to rework your factory sear, or replace that sear with a VC sear. That purchase alone will provide you with a pull weight of 2 ½ to 3 pounds.
    Changing to a different trigger will not do much, if anything, for reducing trigger pull weight. An aftermarket trigger in some instances has adjustment for pre and over travel which helps getting the trigger ready for the next shot. Consider, you can have your factory trigger modified to have both adjustment screws installed, and the pivot pin hole can be bushed with a steel sleeve that will remove trigger wobble, which is involved with most all of the aluminum aftermarket triggers, which in many cases have an elliptical pivot pin hole, for around half the cost of what some gimmick triggers sell for:

If you plan to remove the magazine disconnect by replacing the hammer bushing, it will behoove you to be a bit picky on which bushing you choose. One size does not fit all hammer bushiing bores. I have replaced several replacement hammer bushings that wobbled horribly after installation due to poor fitting. That will not provide for a consistent trigger pull weight, but if that doesn't concern you, consider that the better bushing is the same price.
    Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; 06-23-2020 at 02:32 PM.
    ETS likes this.
    " I really like this NEW .45. It certainly gets a lot more done than the old .44 ever did."

9. #8 Re: Trigger pull - MK3 vs 22/45 
    I made it out to the range on the 4th and was checking all the trigger pull weights on my pistols. I was aware that my 22/45 LITE had a really good trigger but I wasn't aware just how light it was. It came up with a 5 pull, fairly consistent average of 1 lb 9.1 oz. ... (VQ sear, Ruger stock hammer, VQ Mkll hammer bushing, TK Victory trigger w/ stock plunger and spring) ... I was surprised that it was actually under 2Lbs.
    I later was shooting some CCI Quiet (manually working action) and was having a ball shooting little bits of clay pigeons on the 27 yard berm, with great accuracy. That sweet trigger was certainly doing it's part to help
    John

Ante Omnia Armari "Before all else, be armed"

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads