Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"!

Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"!

This is a discussion on Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"! within the Ruger MK II forums, part of the Ruger Standard & MK Pistols category; Although not an official MkII and maybe not a collectable, putting under this topic since it falls within that Ruger era. Finally got my 5 ...

Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"! 
    Although not an official MkII and maybe not a collectable, putting under this topic since it falls within that Ruger era. Finally got my 5 1/4" Target Heavy Taper in a Ruger 22/45 KP-514! The Zytel lower is very solid, with the original owner sending it off to get the front\back grip areas stippled for a non-slip hold. Spent 3-4 hrs of careful detailed action cleaning. It's a 1994 and the interior showed every bit of grim, dirt and rimfire fouling grit for every one of those "26" years of use! Exterior is perfect and overall, it cleaned up Very Nicely. Once cleaned and lubed, the Ruger Target trigger has zero-creep, breaks at a very crisp 2.5# and has minimal PT and OT...Very Nice! After cleaning the bore, the rifling Suddenly Appeared...imagine that!!

I've always associated this Ruger first polymer 22/45 lower with the regular tapered KP-4/6 and the Bull Barrel KP-512. Does anyone know if the KP-514 was equally prevalent?!? Even with the VQ drop-in parts I have, believe will leave well-enough alone! When our range opens back up, I'll check it's accuracy and possibly have it for a field side carry!!

Ted
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"!-ruger-mkii-kp-514-22-45-1.jpg   Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"!-ruger-mkii-kp-514-22-45-2.jpg  
    Last edited by Theo98; 04-25-2020 at 09:16 AM.
    SGW Gunsmith likes this.
    "FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!

2. #2 Re: Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"! 
    You keep showing these pistols. I may have to get one someday. Are the IVs recommended? I like that they can break down easily.
    Raylan Givens > Justified > Quotable Quote
    “If you run into an ahole in the morning, you ran into an ahole. If you run into aholes all day, you're the ahole.”

3. #3 Re: Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"! 
    Quote Originally Posted by pennsy View Post
    You keep showing these pistols. I may have to get one someday. Are the IVs recommended? I like that they can break down easily.
    Pennsy,

For Me, My Standards, MkI's and MkII's (all 6 of them) Uppers and Lowers dis-assemble/re-assemble Almost as fast (10 seconds) as my MkIV's one-button takedown (3-4 seconds)!!!

Ted

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"! 
    I'll take that as you are not a fan of IVs?
    “If you run into an ahole in the morning, you ran into an ahole. If you run into aholes all day, you're the ahole.”

6. #5 Re: Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"! 
    Quote Originally Posted by pennsy View Post
    I'll take that as you are not a fan of IVs?
    Just the opposite...I love my IV's, all 4 of them (Hunter-22/45 Lites-5.5" Bull Barrel)!!

However, my Standards and MkI Target represent Ruger History (collectables), and my MkII's are currently unavailable in the MkIV configurations. Since Ruger Mk Take-downs and Re-assemblies (old style mainspring removals-reinstalls) offer no issues to me, I've been able to acquire diverse shooting platforms I wanted without any thought to maintenance or accurizing differences! Actually, all of my non MkIV purchases have come at substantial saving investments, averaging about 50% less what a new MkIV would have cost!!!

Additionally, IME Stock Trigger Actions in the original Ruger Standards, MkI's and MkII's typically are HALF the MkIV pull weights and have much less PT, OT and Creep. Thus they require little to no additional accurizing cost to get a fine, target trigger performance. Sturm-Ruger rimfire accuracy and reliability has virtually remained the same for these past 70 years...Amazing!!

So for now, I'm keeping my MkIV's but please, don't ask me if I needed to sell any of these Mk's which I'd let go first!?!

Ted

7. #6 Re: Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"! 
    Thanks for your rundown. When the world gets normal again I will consider one. I was thinking SR22. That is a totally different format I realize. I do like steel guns though.
    Theo98 and rclark28 like this.

8. #7 Re: Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"! 
    Another beautiful Ruger II. Nice job.
    Theo98 likes this.
    Wounded Warrior Project
    "Protect the ones you love!"
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    NRA Member

9. #8 Re: Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"! 
    Ruger did produce a Mark I version of the MK 514, blued only, but it didn't go over very well as far as sales, so, it was dropped from the catalog. During the run of Ruger Mark II pistols, both the KMK 514 (stainless steel) and an MK 514 blued pistol were produced, along with the first type 22/45 pistols.

The whole first year of 22/45 production involved the version with the stainless steel barreled receiver and are marked boldly with 22/45 on the left side of the receiver. Mine is of the first production year also:

I replaced the factory Ruger trigger with the Clark trigger, when they were still selling those individually. These triggers normally arrived only with an over travel screw, so I added a pre-travel screw to keep both pre and over travel to a minimum. There needs to be some allowable pre and over travel or the trigger will not reset. After the pre-travel has been taken up during the trigger pull, hammer to sear engagement begins. That's where the amount of "creep" involved actually takes place. When I do trigger jobs the allowance for engagement of the sear to the hammer notch I strive for, is 0.0150 to 0.0180, for a safe, no "bump-off" condition where engagement is too light and would be dangerous. Ruger Mark pistols all need to have a safe amount of creep to work properly.
    Theo98 and rclark28 like this.
    "There are many more airplanes at the bottom of the oceans than there are submarines in the sky"

10. #9 Re: Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"! 
    Quote Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
    ...When I do trigger jobs the allowance for engagement of the sear to the hammer notch I strive for, is 0.0150 to 0.0180, for a safe, no "bump-off" condition where engagement is too light and would be dangerous. Ruger Mark pistols all need to have a safe amount of creep to work properly.
    Agreed Dennis! My above KP-514 hammer notch measures right around .020" and breaks very cleanly!

FWIW (info for others to consider), the safety (when ON with my KP-514) also locks down the Sear Solidly, so that pulling on the trigger Cannot move the sear forward (an absolute MUST, and 1st Priority, when attempting to minimize Creep)!! If there is Any sear movement when pulling the trigger against a "Safety On", there could be an un-intended discharge when setting the Safety to "Off"!

If anyone has any trepidation accurizing their action themselves, please get your Mk pistol lower to a competent Gun Smith (like SGW)!!

Ted
    rclark28 and SGW Gunsmith like this.
    "FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!

11. #10 Re: Ruger KP-514 - Yea, another "Like-New"! 
    SGW, those are nice photos and the ammo boxes are a great touch. Post #9 and the other safety data here is a must read for all of us.
    SGW Gunsmith and Theo98 like this.
    Wounded Warrior Project
    "Protect the ones you love!"
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads