KMK-678...Like New!

KMK-678...Like New!

This is a discussion on KMK-678...Like New! within the Ruger MK II forums, part of the Ruger Standard & MK Pistols category; Had been looking for a MkII Stainless Heavy Taper in 5 1/4", but those rarely come up any more. This 6 7/8" "one-owner" became available ...

Like Tree10Likes

Thread: KMK-678...Like New!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 KMK-678...Like New! 
    Had been looking for a MkII Stainless Heavy Taper in 5 1/4", but those rarely come up any more. This 6 7/8" "one-owner" became available w/case, an extra mag and all paperwork at a great price...rest is history!

Seller claimed he purchased this new around 2000 and shot it very little. After taking it down for a good check and cleaning, seems he had never cleaned it either! After a few hours of detailed cleaning, couldn't find any wear or signs of use...interior and action components all look Great...bore is perfect! Exterior is very clean and new-like...no scratches, marks or blemishes. Trigger broke at 3#+ before cleaning, now breaks cleanly at 2.3#! I set the target trigger for minimal post travel and believe I'll live with it As Is...should be a very accurate shooter!!

Ted
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KMK-678...Like New!-ruger-mkii-kmk-678.jpg   KMK-678...Like New!-ruger-mkii-kmk-678-2.jpg   KMK-678...Like New!-ruger-mkii-kmk-678-case.jpg  

2. #2 Re: KMK-678...Like New! 
    [email protected]@KS really clean. Would you check to see by chance if you have the "two-piece bolt" in that nice pistol? Also, see if the mainspring housing assembly is one or the three piece style. Those two features normally go together, at least it did on my version just like the one you now have.
    "There are many more airplanes at the bottom of the oceans than there are submarines in the sky"

3. #3 Re: KMK-678...Like New! 
    [email protected]@KS really clean. Would you check to see by chance if you have the "two-piece bolt" in that nice pistol? Also, see if the mainspring housing assembly is one or the three piece style. Those two features normally go together, at least it did on my version just like the one you now have. This is what those look like:

And here's what has happened to many of those:

If you have a bolt such as above, there is a preventative fix to prevent separation.
    Theo98 likes this.
    "There are many more airplanes at the bottom of the oceans than there are submarines in the sky"

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: KMK-678...Like New! 
    Quote Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
    [email protected]@KS really clean. Would you check to see by chance if you have the "two-piece bolt" in that nice pistol? Also, see if the mainspring housing assembly is one or the three piece style. Those two features normally go together, at least it did on my version just like the one you now have...If you have a bolt such as above, there is a preventative fix to prevent separation.
    Hi Dennis,

This MkII KMK-678 is One solid bolt piece with bolt ears=5 Ribs and 4 Valleys...whereas the Two piece bolt ears has 4 Ribs and 3 Valleys!!

However, I've not seen a 1-piece Ruger main spring housing, Except in a Volquartsen replacement main spring. My 2 Standards, a MkI and now, 2 MkIIs (5 auto pistols) are all a 3-piece plate design, riveted together!

Ted
    SGW Gunsmith likes this.

6. #5 Re: KMK-678...Like New! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
    Hi Dennis,

This MkII KMK-678 is One solid bolt piece with bolt ears=5 Ribs and 4 Valleys...whereas the Two piece bolt ears has 4 Ribs and 3 Valleys!!

However, I've not seen a 1-piece Ruger main spring housing, Except in a Volquartsen replacement main spring. My 2 Standards, a MkI and now, 2 MkIIs (5 auto pistols) are all a 3-piece plate design, riveted together!

Ted

Good to read. Mine has the two-piece bolt but I fixed it so the ears will never detach mainly because I like the larger diameter of the bolt ears for drawing the bolt backward.
    Theo98 likes this.

7. #6 Re: KMK-678...Like New! 
    Quote Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
    Good to read. Mine has the two-piece bolt but I fixed it so the ears will never detach mainly because I like the larger diameter of the bolt ears for drawing the bolt backward.
    Dennis,

My MkII 6" stainless standard has the 2-piece bolt. Looked on site, but couldn't find your fix or service cost for this! Please PM me what your fix for the stainless MkII 2-piece bolt would cover!

Thanks,

Ted

8. #7 Re: KMK-678...Like New! 
    I have the 6 7/8" SS HTB as well, it came with a two piece bolt, I swapped it out for a one-piece I had. I believe the MSH is one piece not laminated though.
    SGW Gunsmith likes this.

9. #8 Re: KMK-678...Like New! 
    Quote Originally Posted by valvestem View Post
    I have the 6 7/8" SS HTB as well, it came with a two piece bolt, I swapped it out for a one-piece I had. I believe the MSH is one piece not laminated though.
    For some reason, that Ruger only knows, that's how they sent that version out. If you ever need to send that pistol back to Ruger for any reason, don't send them that two-piece bolt as they will replace it.Those two piece bolts are easily reinforced so they will not separate. And if anyone actually does have a reinforced two-piece bolt, don't send that in either, as they will automatically replace those bolts due to their history.
    rclark28 and Theo98 like this.

10. #9 Re: KMK-678...Like New! 
    This MkII heavy taper target KMK-678 is better balanced than my MkIV Stainless 6 7/8" Hunter, but still somewhat muzzle heavy. I ended up swapping my MkII 6" standard lower to the Heavy Taper Target KMK-678 upper, giving me a 1.25# trigger pull And the VQ Volthane grip...a superb Target RF. Now, the balance is perfect and easier to maintain POA!

Thus my MkII Standard upper is now sporting the Lower from the KMK-678, with a 2.5# pull and the very nice thumb rest laminated grips, all excellent for a field side carry!!

Ted
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KMK-678...Like New!-ruger-mkii-kmk-678-3.jpg   KMK-678...Like New!-ruger-mkii-standard-5.jpg  
    rclark28 likes this.

11. #10 Re: KMK-678...Like New! 
    That is interesting and a solid looking setup. I love the way those Mark II's shoot out of the box and that configuration you setup maybe a keeper.
    +1 Agree-> "all excellent for a field side carry!!" or IMHO a great range target shooter...
    Theo98 likes this.
    Wounded Warrior Project
    "Protect the ones you love!"
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads