Ok so , What exactly is this ?

Ok so , What exactly is this ?

This is a discussion on Ok so , What exactly is this ? within the Ruger MK II forums, part of the Ruger Standard & MK Pistols category; First post here , thank you for adding me . I have this Mk 2 but it seems strange to me . It has a ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Swamp Yankee
  • 2 Post By SGW Gunsmith
  • 4 Post By Swamp Yankee

Thread: Ok so , What exactly is this ?

1. #1 Ok so , What exactly is this ? 
    New User
    First post here , thank you for adding me .

I have this Mk 2 but it seems strange to me . It has a 22/45 upper on it but what looks like a Mk2 stainless lower .
    Just wondering if this is a Frankengun or is it a factory model ?
    Former owner has passed on so I cant ask him .
    I have another Mk1 Standard from back in the 50s but other than that I dont really know much about these .
    Its been sitting in a safe for about 20 years , I took it down yesterday and thoroughly cleaned it .
    Seems Ok now but when I pull back on the bolt to cock it the first 1/4 " of travel seems stiff but then it gets past the wall and is smooth . My standard is smooth as butter the entire travel of the bolt . Ok so , What exactly is this  ?-20200303_171235-1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ok so , What exactly is this  ?-20200303_170634-1.jpg  

2. #2 Re: Ok so , What exactly is this ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post

I have this Mk 2 but it seems strange to me . It has a 22/45 upper on it but what looks like a Mk2 stainless lower .
    I have another Mk1 Standard from back in the 50s but other than that I dont really know much about these .
    Its been sitting in a safe for about 20 years , I took it down yesterday and thoroughly cleaned it .
    Seems Ok now but when I pull back on the bolt to cock it the first 1/4 " of travel seems stiff but then it gets past the wall and is smooth . My standard is smooth as butter the entire travel of the bolt . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200303_171235-1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	14404
    to the forum. Yes, you have what some call a "FrankenRuger". That is indeed a 22/45 upper, made during the Mark II era that someone installed on what appears to be a Ruger Mark II grip frame.
    What you may be encountering, and it's not easy to say without having that pistol on my bench, is a slight twist off location of the grip frame lug and the receptacle for the lug in the bottom of the receiver. The early 22/45 pistols did not have the lug receptacle swaged, or peened down to arrest any possible rotation of the upper on that grip frame lug, like so:

It would not be all that difficult to rotate that upper so it's more closely centered into the grip frame, but you'd need to remove the mainspring housing assembly and the bolt to get that done.
    That "knurling" on the muzzle end is interesting. Kinda wonder if the muzzle end was threaded for a compensator or a suppressor.
    There is absolutely NO reason to hate this country. Just think about what you have.

3. #3 Re: Ok so , What exactly is this ? 
    Swamp Yankee, welcome to the forum and greetings from Ohio. If you get a chance to test it out at the range let us know how you do. Hopefully you get a chance to enjoy that Ruger.
    Wounded Warrior Project
    "Protect the ones you love!"
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    NRA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Ok so , What exactly is this ? 

Seems Ok now but when I pull back on the bolt to cock it the first 1/4 " of travel seems stiff but then it gets past the wall and is smooth . My standard is smooth as butter the entire travel of the bolt .
    SY,

Hello and Welcome to the Ruger MkII Pistol Forum!

The Upper was from the factory designed to be as in the included GA pic...called a Ruger 22/45 Target Bull Barrel with a 22/45 Zytel polymer frame Lower. Although not really called a MkII, this Catalog # P512 had a Model # of 00193! However, the former owner seems to have swapped out the polymer lower with a regular stainless MKII lower...Cool!

So unless this may have been a "Distributor Special Edition" package (?), it certainly would be a FrankenRuger!!

FWIW, All 6 of my Mk rimfires (2-MkIV's, 1-MkII, 1-MkI and 2-Standards) First 1/4" of pulling the bolt back Are Stiff. That first pull back initiates cocking of the hammer against the stiff mainspring. Once cocked, manually operating the bolt action becomes smooth, even and easy! My easiest are the Oldest Mk's that have the most rounds, with broken-in return and main springs!!

Ted
    Last edited by Theo98; 03-04-2020 at 05:26 PM.

6. #5 Re: Ok so , What exactly is this ? 
    Welcome to the forum from Celebration Florida.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    Logic will get you from A to B, Imagination will take you everywhere.
    μολὼν λαβέ

7. #6 Re: Ok so , What exactly is this ? 
    New User
    Thank you all for the answers .
    I did take it to my range today , it did well . I ran a variety of ammo through it as follows .
    CCI Mini mags ,. 20 rounds , no malfunctions
    CCI Quiet , 20 rounds , no malfunctions, although it did not cycle .
    CCI 40 grain standard , 20 rounds , no malfunctions .
    Federal bulk pack , 100 rounds, two rounds did not extract and had to be pulled out . These were the first two rounds I fired and they had to be removed with a plastic stick as they were wedged in the chamber . After that no malfunction.
    Also the bolt freeded up on the first mag . I am wondering if it was mis aligned .
    Yes the barrel has been threaded .
    I only have one mag and my older ones don't fit . What are the best mags to get ,.
    Theo98, SGW Gunsmith and rclark28 like this.

8. #7 Re: Ok so , What exactly is this ? 
    I did take it to my range today , it did well . I ran a variety of ammo through it as follows .
    Federal bulk pack , 100 rounds, two rounds did not extract and had to be pulled out . These were the first two rounds I fired and they had to be removed with a plastic stick as they were wedged in the chamber . After that no malfunction.
    Also the bolt freeded up on the first mag . I am wondering if it was mis aligned .
    I only have one mag and my older ones don't fit . What are the best mags to get ,.
    Best are the original Ruger MkII 90046 mags! You'll save a little on the Mec-Gar, but I often read that the OEM Rugers have much less issues! I have in Ruger mags, 4-MkII, 6-MkIV and 6-MkIV 22/45...all perform flawlessly!!!

GB has a wide diversity of Ruger MkII magazine sellers, average $25 a mag (w\S&H) when getting 2 or more!

Happy to hear you're enjoying your FrankenRuger!!

Ted

9. #8 Re: Ok so , What exactly is this ? 
    Good to read that your pistol is running well. Stick with the Ruger branded magazines. Those are made in Italy under the Ruger factory specifications and standards, but they do work better than the Mec-Gar and Pro Mag brands.
    Your choice of CCI Mini-Mags, CCI Standard are good ones and are also what Ruger uses to test pistols after they do any return work on their pistols. The Federal are hit & miss, but being bulk ammunition, that's to be expected. CCI Quiet only run at 710 & 735 FPS so that doesn't provide enough recoil impulse energy to blow the bolt back far enough to cycle.
    If extraction continues to be an issue the first thing I'd do is to scrub the chamber vigorously with a bronze brush. Sometimes we don't know the round count history of a used pistol so there could be a slight carbon ring in the leade. I ALWAYS recommend that the Ruger factory extractor be replaced with a much better made extractor. There seems to be a very good reason that 6 aftermarket manufacturers make replacement extractors for the Mark pistols.
    Theo98 and rclark28 like this.
    There is absolutely NO reason to hate this country. Just think about what you have.

10. #9 Re: Ok so , What exactly is this ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
    . . . . . . . First 1/4" of pulling the bolt back Are Stiff. That first pull back initiates cocking of the hammer against the stiff mainspring. Once cocked, manually operating the bolt action becomes smooth, even and easy! My easiest are the Oldest Mk's that have the most rounds, with broken-in return and main springs!!
    ^Yes. This.^
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” Hunter S. Thompson

“Happy the man, and happy he alone, he who can call today his own, he who, secure within, can say, Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.” Horace

11. #10 Re: Ok so , What exactly is this ? 
    New User
    It hit 70 yesterday here in Commiecut . So , I went down to the range to celebrate .
    Put another 250 through the MK2 . No hiccups at all .
    All federal bulk pack .
    Boy , my thumb is sore today . Ordering a speed loader next . !!!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads