Will It Sell?

Will It Sell?

This is a discussion on Will It Sell? within the Ruger MK II forums, part of the Ruger Standard & MK Pistols category; This is the internet, so you can be whatever you'd like to visualise yourself as being and no one will ever know otherwise. At least ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By toytraindoc
  • 1 Post By boomer47

Thread: Will It Sell?

1. #1 Will It Sell? 
    This is the internet, so you can be whatever you'd like to visualise yourself as being and no one will ever know otherwise. At least until some of your projects are shown.
    One 'poster' that I ran into on another forum addresses himself as an "engineer". We'll call him T_E for convenience sake. He made a spent case deflector for his Ruger Model II pistol, and claims that it works extremely well, and they were for sale. Suppose by now he's retired and living on his own island with a bunch of hula girls from the fortunes made. :

I can't help but wonder what his holster looks like for this set-up? How much would you pay for one of these?
    There is absolutely NO reason to hate this country. Just think about what you have.

2. #2 Re: Will It Sell? 
    Looks easy enough to make your own version deflector. Custom made.
    SGW Gunsmith likes this.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    Logic will get you from A to B, Imagination will take you everywhere.
    μολὼν λαβέ

3. #3 Re: Will It Sell? 
    Quote Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post

[img] How much would you pay for one of these?

I wouln't.
    those who keep score tend to keep it in their favor.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Will It Sell? 
    New User
    Same guy said he hd reduced the hammer friction to zero and had a faster lock time. I asked how he measured the "faster" time and never heard another about it.

Glad to see SWG on this forum. He knows what he is talking about.
    SGW Gunsmith likes this.

6. #5 Re: Will It Sell? 
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer47 View Post
    Same guy said he hd reduced the hammer friction to zero and had a faster lock time. I asked how he measured the "faster" time and never heard another about it.

Glad to see SWG on this forum. He knows what he is talking about.
    Hey 'boomer', good to read from you again. I was involved with that project T_E thought would set the new standard for Ruger Mark pistol hammers. He emailed me with his initial project and I really tried to talk him out of it, only because the hammer needed to have the bushing bore "jig ground" so that the bushings could be pressed into the hammer, yet still allow the inside cylinder to turn. Mark pistol hammers are as hard as Hades:

He sent me 4 bearings, but only one Mark pistol hammer, so I jig ground the hammer bushing bore and pressed in one bushing on each side of the hammer sent after the bushing bore was precisely sized for the bearings. The smaller inside bushings rotated just fine and fit as he wanted. Problem was, the center bore was too large for the hammer pivot pin and to make the project work, he needed to have a special diameter pivot pin made to a slip fit into the bearing bores. Also, the grip frame needed to be "in-line reamed" to the special diameter pivot pin.
    His project was a failure only because he wouldn't listen to what I was trying to inform him of.
    Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; 06-01-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    There is absolutely NO reason to hate this country. Just think about what you have.

7. #6 Re: Will It Sell? 
    Quote Originally Posted by toytraindoc View Post
    Looks easy enough to make your own version deflector. Custom made.

Yes, I think you're absolutely correct concerning making a spent case deflector. But, a project like that is sorta a solution to a non-existent issue. If spent cases are not ejecting from any Ruger Mark style pistol, the main problem lies with the extractor and how it's performing. The Ruger Mark pistol extractor is a stamped part that is found quite often with roll-over burrs on the off side from the stamping die. Those burrs will often impede how the extractor swings to the right properly, yet the ejector will hit the rear rim and cause a cartridge case to "stove-pipe". Here are a bunch of factory Ruger Mark extractors that customers didn't want back after I replaced 'em with a much better operating extractor:

As is visible, many of these extractors are fraught with obvious burrs along with the flat faced hook end of the extractor that doesn't seem to hold case rims all that well.
    Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; 06-01-2020 at 02:04 PM.

8. #7 Re: Will It Sell? 
    Should help with finding holsters too!

9. #8 Re: Will It Sell? 
    Was he left handed or right handed? Did he get a holster fit? Will he mass produce the modification?

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads