Bolt peened - Page 2

Bolt peened

This is a discussion on Bolt peened within the Ruger MK II forums, part of the Ruger Standard & MK Pistols category; It's funny that Ruger should say that "you need to use the slingshot method to release a locked back bolt, to have it go forward". ...

Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Bolt peened

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Bolt peened 
    It's funny that Ruger should say that "you need to use the slingshot method to release a locked back bolt, to have it go forward". I was looking at some Ruger you tube videos the other night and a guy wearing a Ruger shirt, so I assume he was a Ruger manager of some sort, used the "thumb release" to allow the bolt to go forward a couple of times during that video.

Another thing that I find hard to understand is, when operating the Ruger Mark III 22/45, it's impossible to do the sling-shot bolt release. There is a detent and spring that maintains the bolt stop assembly upward and the ONLY method to release the bolt is with the thumb button for the bolt stop assembly.
    There is absolutely NO reason to hate this country. Just think about what you have.

2. #12 Re: Bolt peened 
    SGW,

IMO, Ruger's procedure seems to follow a locked back bolt resulting from an empty or removed mag. Once I insert a fresh fully loaded (or partially full) mag in my MkII (and either my MkIV's) and Slingshot the bolt, it flies into battery (Bolt Lock being released due to insertion of loaded mag)!

Using the thumb release also works (my old habit and hard to break)! But since my Mk's are new, they're pretty stiff and the slingshot action I now use possible minimizes any extra wear on the bolt face or bolt stop!?!

Ted
    stevenstark711 likes this.

3. #13 Re: Bolt peened 
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
    SGW,

IMO, Ruger's procedure seems to follow a locked back bolt resulting from an empty or removed mag. Once I insert a fresh fully loaded (or partially full) mag in my MkII (and either my MkIV's) and Slingshot the bolt, it flies into battery (Bolt Lock being released due to insertion of loaded mag)!

Using the thumb release also works (my old habit and hard to break)! But since my Mk's are new, they're pretty stiff and the slingshot action I now use possible minimizes any extra wear on the bolt face or bolt stop!?!

Ted
    Should get it back this Tuesday will forward what they did to it

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #14 Re: Bolt peened 
    Got back today,replaced bolt ass.,bolt stop ass.,hammer pivot pin,repaired barrel/ receiver ass?test fired 40rds cci,you can tell its not mark 2 bolt due to cut out for loaded chamber indicator

Theo98 likes this.

6. #15 Re: Bolt peened 
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenstark711 View Post
    Got back today,replaced bolt ass.,bolt stop ass.,hammer pivot pin,repaired barrel/ receiver ass?test fired 40rds cci,you can tell its not mark 2 bolt due to cut out for loaded chamber indicator

Great to hear, Steven. Yep, I heard Ruger used up their old inventory of MkII bolts, thus substitute MkIII when needed! My MkII standard has a 2-piece bolt, so if\when that ever has a defect, guess I'll also be seeing a MkIII replacement!

Ted

7. #16 Re: Bolt peened 
    From the testing I've done and the actual results that I've received, using the bolt stop thumb piece to release the bolt, allowing it to go forward does not cause damage to the bolt face. That's a myth that seems to get passed along on a regular basis, case in point.
    After I received a NIB Ruger Mark IV Competition Target, I purposely used ONLY the sling-shot method to release the bolt forward after a fresh magazine full of rounds was loaded into the grip frame. With this pistol, along with a NIB Ruger Mark III Hunter version, which also received the same routine ( sling-shot ) to chamber a round from a full magazine, after the empty magazine was ejected, which leaves the bolt stop holding the bolt in the rearward position, I still received some peening to the bolt faces on both pistols:

I don't do any guessing when I test any of these Ruger Mark pistols, never have. I give every WAG that I hear, or read about, the chance to prove itself or see if it's a myth, or find out YES, it does work the way some say it does. So, when I see the Ruger dudes in their You-Tube videos press the bolt release downward to send the bolt forward, I wanted to see if the myths passed along are legitimate, or not. The proof I was looking for is depicted above.
    The bolt face peening is the result of the bolt face smacking into the bolt stop assembly after the last round in the magazine has been fired, and the magazine follower thumb button has pushed the bolt stop assembly upward. There's nothing to impede the bolts forward velocity from crashing into the bolt stop assembly.
    Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; 06-23-2020 at 10:48 AM.
    Denny4kids likes this.
    There is absolutely NO reason to hate this country. Just think about what you have.

8. #17 Re: Bolt peened 
    SGW,

Ted
    Understood. The Mark II, III and IV steel grip frame pistols all work using the sling-shot method. The Mark II & III Ruger 22/45 pistols do not. What can be done to release a held back bolt from the magazine follower is, if you pull the bolt back slightly and then press down the bolt release, it will fly forward. Or, you just need to press down on the bolt stop thumb piece.
    Theo98 likes this.

9. #18 Re: Bolt peened 
    IME, after about 3K rounds each (roughly 300 empty mag last-round hold-open stops), my MkIV 22/45 Lite bolt face hardly has a scratch on it from the bolt stop activation. My MkIV Hunter has a shinny spot, but can't feel or measure any indentation or penning at the bolt stop/bolt face contact point!

Both my MkIV's bolt releases are hard to actuate, so I've gotten in the habit to just use the sling shot method. Since new, I may have used the bolt stop release to close a locked-open bolt less than 10 times. However after 30K rounds, very possible this penning issue could arise?!!

Ted
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bolt peened-ruger-mkiv-bolt-faces-lite-hunter.jpg  

10. #19 Re: Bolt peened 
    IME, after about 3K rounds each (roughly 300 empty mag last-round hold-open stops), my MkIV 22/45 Lite bolt face hardly has a scratch on it from the bolt stop activation. My MkIV Hunter has a shinny spot, but can't feel or measure any indentation or penning at the bolt stop/bolt face contact point!

Both my MkIV's bolt releases are hard to actuate, so I've gotten in the habit to just use the sling shot method. Since new, I may have used the bolt stop release to close a locked-open bolt less than 10 times. However after 30K rounds, very possible this penning issue could arise?!!

Ted
    With a *NEW* Ruger Mark pistol, the recoil spring assembly spring is at its longest length it will ever be. That is, until it reaches its working length. According to what those who make coil springs have found in their testing. What that means is, the return force of those new springs are a bit stronger until they are exercised enough to reach "set". At some point, down the road, coil springs will become weaker from doing their job, until they get to the point of failure, and then need replacement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads