Used? No...NEW! - Page 3

Used? No...NEW!

This is a discussion on Used? No...NEW! within the Ruger MK II forums, part of the Ruger Standard & MK Pistols category; Originally Posted by mukwah Altamont makes beautiful grips for sure. I've shared pics of my SR1911 on here before but it has the Altamont fleur ...

Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Used? No...NEW!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Used? No...NEW! 
    Quote Originally Posted by mukwah View Post
    Altamont makes beautiful grips for sure. I've shared pics of my SR1911 on here before but it has the Altamont fleur de lis grips also. They are special for us from Louisiana.
    That is one SWEET Looking Saintly 1911!
    mukwah likes this.

2. #22 Re: Used? No...NEW! 
    I never knew of Altamont grips until this week. I found a picture of them on Images of NAA grips while doing a search. Now I see them here and I see they come highly recommended. Cool.
    Raylan Givens > Justified > Quotable Quote
    “If you run into an ahole in the morning, you ran into an ahole. If you run into aholes all day, you're the ahole.”

3. #23 Re: Used? No...NEW! 
    Quote Originally Posted by pennsy View Post
    I never knew of Altamont grips until this week. I found a picture of them on Images of NAA grips while doing a search. Now I see them here and I see they come highly recommended. Cool.
    Pennsy,

Altamont does offer a nice selection of MkII-III-IV-22\45 wooden grips. All are well made, fit the firearm perfectly and at what I consider a reasonable investment!

Ted
    pennsy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #24 Re: Used? No...NEW! 
    Range Day and CCI CPRN 40 gr 1250fps Mini Mags + MkII 6" Standard Fixed Iron Sights with some .875" groupings off rest at 25 yds=Nice!

Ted
    mukwah likes this.

6. #25 Re: Used? No...NEW! 
    Quote Originally Posted by mukwah View Post
    Altamont makes beautiful grips for sure. I've shared pics of my SR1911 on here before but it has the Altamont fleur de lis grips also. They are special for us from Louisiana.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    That is an extremely nice lookin' pistol. One thing I sorta wonder about is why grip makers continue to provide a cut-away for access to the mainspring housing pin? How often does one need to take out the mainspring housing assembly, anyway? I guess I just like the looks of grip panels without that cut-away present.
    Theo98, Bgoff689 and mukwah like this.
    There is absolutely NO reason to hate this country. Just think about what you have.

7. #26 Re: Used? No...NEW! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
    Just dropped in my MkII 6" Standard a VQ trigger...work's great! Trigger pull still at 2.75#, but now have just 3\32" of PT, a clean break and a 1\32" of OT (overall 1\8" pull). DC consistently resets in 3\32" and safety is working perfectly...Accurization Complete!?!
    Well, not as complete as I hoped. My accurized MkIV Hunter (from 5.25# to 1.125# pull) and my accurized MkIV 22\45 Lite (from 5.75# to 1.6# pull) has been spoiling me, thus got the itch to see what the MkII Standard could do! I just installed a VQ Sear & Sear Spring in my MkII 6" Standard, hoping to get down to 2#. Well, I actually went from the 2# 14oz pull, down to 1# 6oz pull...reset the PT & OT and still have just 3\32" total travel...Nice!

I maintained the Ruger disconnect, hammer and bushing in the setup, as all are working well. I did have to stone the Ruger's safety hook to fully fit the new VQ sear, but now have very secured positive safety lockup!!

Since I've become very fond of the ergonomic VQ Volthane MkII grip (thumb swell, finger grooves, palm swell), decided to try the VQ Extended Mag Release...so far, shoots the mag out for quick & easy retrieval...works Great! I also added the VQ Firing Pin and Extractor, as these seem to perform very well and are very durable.

Don't know anything else I need\want for this MKII standard. Still enjoying the stocked iron sights, so I'll "probably" leave it as is!?!

Ted

Used? No...NEW!-mkii-std.-vq-volthane-grip-vq-trigger-vq-sear-vq-fp-ejector.jpgUsed? No...NEW!-vq-ext-mag-release.jpg
    Last edited by Theo98; 07-08-2019 at 11:05 AM.

8. #27 Re: Used? No...NEW! 
    Neatly done Theo98.
    Theo98 likes this.
    I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

9. #28 Target Accurizations-Complete! 
    Last upgrade (but not the least...my famous montra) came as a surprise to even me!

FWIW, My MkII Std, my MkIV Hunter and my MkIV 22/45 Lite (all with VQ Sears and Sear Springs) all had wall breaks that had 1\32" of smooth creep...not too bad. I didn't want to stone the OEM parts, but wanted to keep the Ruger hammers intacted. Creeps were very minimal and not noticeable at the range, but felt it might be pulling me a little off target too often. All three have triggers ranging from 1.25# to 1.5# pulls!

I recently received my sons MkII SS Comp Target Slab Sided that he obtained from me 25 years ago...(now with over 100K+ rounds on it). It had a Ruger accurized action (done personally for me-all OEM parts) with minimal PT & OT and absolutely NO Creep (a perfect break-like-glass surprise)!! During my detailed disassembly & cleaning of "his" MkII, I looked very closely at the sear-hammer notch relationship. The sear was mirror smooth and flat, just like the VQ. However, the MkII's Hammer notch (shelf, ledge, lip...whatever name you call it) that Ruger accurized for me in 1990 was just .020" (they don't do that anymore)!!! My stock MkII's hammer notch is .033", so visually and measurably...there's the 1\32" wall break creep!

Along came some New old stock MkIII hammers (from WG) that I could hone and set for a "no-creep action"! The MkIII hammer notches are just .023" and after I installed them with a VQ MkII bushing in My MkII std., I was delighted...ZERO CREEP (No honing needed)!! Now my MkII sports a "total trigger travel" of just 1\16" (1\32" PT-Solid Wall Surprise Break-1\32" OT), with a very positive and safe Safety Action!!!

In my MkIVs, I had to address the Ruger Safety\VQ Sear lock up pre-travel excess pull (via micro drop of JB-Weld on Sear hook locking surface-front side). This micro build-up totally Prevents Any Sear Forward Movement during safety engagement and pulling on trigger action. Had to do this (due to less depth in the MkIII Hammer Notch) to Successfully, Consistently and Safely achieve Zero Creep in my MkIVs with the MkIII hammers!! Now, my MkIV actions are just like my MkII...ZERO CREEP with Consistent Safe Safeties...YES!!!

Ted

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads