New guy; old MK II

New guy; old MK II

This is a discussion on New guy; old MK II within the Ruger MK II forums, part of the Ruger Standard & MK Pistols category; I bought my MK many years ago, not long after they first came out with the II: it's a bull barrel target model; 6" barrel. ...

Thread: New guy; old MK II

1. #1 New guy; old MK II 
    New User
    I bought my MK many years ago, not long after they first came out with the II: it's a bull barrel target model; 6" barrel.
    Used it, along with a 10/22 Carbine to teach my kids to shoot. Now, years later, I'm using the 10/22, in a somewhat altered state, to teach my grandkids to shoot, and am using the MK, as well. Only thing done to the MK II is a Volquartsen hammer bushing.
    Would it be wise, and increase the "shootability" of this piece sufficient to justify the purchase/installation of after market trigger/sear/hammer assembly or kit.
    Just used presently for paper punching.
    John in Maryland

2. #2 re: New guy; old MK II 
    Welcome to the forum from Oregon!

3. #3 re: New guy; old MK II 
    Welcome to the forum from Western Pa.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    Logic will get you from A to B, Imagination will take you everywhere.
    μολὼν λαβέ

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: New guy; old MK II 
    Welcome to the forum judgejohnmd! I think you should modify the MK II. You want the kids to have success and not have to use both index fingers on the trigger. Den
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

6. #5 Re: New guy; old MK II 
    I would say as long as the pistol still shoots true and the trigger is still smooth just leave it as it is. Almost everyone buys the complete the complete kit to go into the pistol but unless something is wrong with it it doesn't really justify the cost just to get a little less and trigger pull... Although the kit does usually make it as smooth and light as silk.

08/10/2017
    After further thought and contemplation on the 'Tree of Woe', modify that thing. It will be much more enjoyable to shoot. Don't know what I was thinking.
    Last edited by boutaswell; 08-14-2017 at 11:43 AM.

7. #6 Re: New guy; old MK II 
    90+% of the improvement in the trigger pull is gained in changing out to the VQ sear only. Swapping out to the VQ trigger allows adjusting out the pre travel (take up) and over travel of the trigger during the sears releasing of the hammer. The less pre and post movement allows a more steady hold during this ignition process.
    To answer your question Sear --- Yes, big gain
    Hammer --- No, little to no gain reported
    Trigger --- Maybe, other benefits

I have changed the sear on my MKIII and have had dramatic improvement. I have noticed more that the extra take up and over travel is more pronounced. I will be changing triggers in the near future.
    Last edited by IndigoWolf; 06-29-2015 at 06:15 PM.
    John

Ante Omnia Armari "Before all else, be armed"

8. #7 Re: New guy; old MK II 
    Love me some MKII... had mine for about 20yrs and has been flawless with some 10's of thousands of rounds, love the trigger, sights and everything about it... I'd love to ad a scope sometime though but its great as is.....
    welcome to the forum!!

9. #8 Re: New guy; old MK II 
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejohnmd View Post
    I bought my MK many years ago, not long after they first came out with the II: it's a bull barrel target model; 6" barrel.
    Used it, along with a 10/22 Carbine to teach my kids to shoot. Now, years later, I'm using the 10/22, in a somewhat altered state, to teach my grandkids to shoot, and am using the MK, as well. Only thing done to the MK II is a Volquartsen hammer bushing.
    Would it be wise, and increase the "shootability" of this piece sufficient to justify the purchase/installation of after market trigger/sear/hammer assembly or kit.
    Just used presently for paper punching.
    John in Maryland
    Judge:

If you indeed have a Ruger Mark II in the 6-inch bull barrel version you have the much desired Ruger Government version. This pistol was made in small numbers for the general public and is a very desireable acquisition.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads