Question about back sight on Ruger Mark II

Question about back sight on Ruger Mark II

This is a discussion on Question about back sight on Ruger Mark II within the Ruger MK II forums, part of the Ruger Standard & MK Pistols category; The back sight on my mark II is way over to the right. I would have to take a rubber mallet to knock it back ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SGW Gunsmith

Thread: Question about back sight on Ruger Mark II

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1 Question about back sight on Ruger Mark II 
    Jr. Member minimal brat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    83
    The back sight on my mark II is way over to the right. I would have to take a rubber mallet to knock it back into place. A gun smith did this once and sighted it for me. Seems the set pin is not staying and it has happened again. Can I replace that back sight and will this fix the problem?

    Thank you
    Last edited by minimal brat; 01-16-2013 at 08:39 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2 re: Question about back sight on Ruger Mark II 
    Super Member 3Coyotes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Effington, OH
    Posts
    2,722
    MB. Your frustration is understood. I went home last night to check my son's on your behalf and it seems he took it with him for a range date.
    He likes to take his dates shooting insead of going to a movie or whatever.
    Will follow up though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3 re: Question about back sight on Ruger Mark II 
    Super Member Tarheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Durham NC USA - Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    6,462
    You have several options to consider. This is a common prob with the Mark series.You might begin by thoroughly degreasing the pin, sight and dovetail. Take it to a range and zero it in when the sight seems to be stable. Mark that position. Then put a little blue (not red) Loctite in the dovetail channel and in the set pin hole, replace the sight to the mark and pin it and allow to set overnight. See if that works.

    If not, then the military armorer's method for securing a loose rear sight is to smack the center bottom of the slide dovetail with a center punch. The raised metal around the punch mark dimple should be enough to keep the sight where it belongs. I've done this before and the raised metal will usually add enough friction to keep it in place. In some cases I had to make several dimples.

    Last, there are several fine rear sights that are much better than the standard Ruger issue for the Mark II and most can be installed and relieve the drifting issue without major surgery, plus provide a superior rear sight. Let us know what you determine. Thx.


    Tarheel



    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4 re: Question about back sight on Ruger Mark II 
    Jr. Member minimal brat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Coyotes View Post
    MB. Your frustration is understood. I went home last night to check my son's on your behalf and it seems he took it with him for a range date.
    He likes to take his dates shooting insead of going to a movie or whatever.
    Will follow up though.
    Thank you. lol sounds like a great date to me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5 re: Question about back sight on Ruger Mark II 
    Jr. Member minimal brat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    You have several options to consider. This is a common prob with the Mark series.You might begin by thoroughly degreasing the pin, sight and dovetail. Take it to a range and zero it in when the sight seems to be stable. Mark that position. Then put a little blue (not red) Loctite in the dovetail channel and in the set pin hole, replace the sight to the mark and pin it and allow to set overnight. See if that works.

    If not, then the military armorer's method for securing a loose rear sight is to smack the center bottom of the slide dovetail with a center punch. The raised metal around the punch mark dimple should be enough to keep the sight where it belongs. I've done this before and the raised metal will usually add enough friction to keep it in place. In some cases I had to make several dimples.

    Last, there are several fine rear sights that are much better than the standard Ruger issue for the Mark II and most can be installed and relieve the drifting issue without major surgery, plus provide a superior rear sight. Let us know what you determine. Thx.


    Tarheel
    Thank you. Will let you know what I decide to do.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6 re: Question about back sight on Ruger Mark II 
    Super Moderator SkipD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    S.E. Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,812
    Quote Originally Posted by minimal brat View Post
    Thank you. Will let you know what I decide to do.
    If the problem is, in fact, a loose dovetail then the stippling of the bottom of the dovetail cut in the barrel is the best solution. I've done that quite a few times to tighten up loose dovetailed sights - both front and rear on a number of hunting rifles at our deer rifle sight-in where I play the role of gunsmith.
    Skip Douglas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 re: Question about back sight on Ruger Mark II 
    Jr. Member minimal brat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    83
    I will show the husband the posts. Since I only understood about half of it lol. Now I know I can wack the darn thing with a rubber mallet and sight it and then put some glue in but the other way is might be better. Will see what he wants to do. Thanks so much for all the information.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8 re: Question about back sight on Ruger Mark II 
    Super Member Tarheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Durham NC USA - Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    6,462
    ...mb, if he decides to replace the rear sight, I would suggest the Volquartsen TL2000. All the Mark series competition shooters I know use this rear sight. It replaces the Ruger factory fully adjustable sight without any gritty gunsmithing or front sight replacement. The TL2000 has two set screws as well and that easily handles the drifting issue as they have indicated. I am seriously considering installing one on my Mark III, which has a rather slippery rear sight too. So far I've kept it pretty much in place with Loctite, but would prefer a permanent solution and improving my shooting to boot.

    Tarheel



    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question about back sight on Ruger Mark II-mark-iii-wood-grips.jpg  
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9 re: Question about back sight on Ruger Mark II 
    Full Member SGW Gunsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northwestern Wisconsin
    Posts
    244
    I know and realize this is an old post, but I'd like to revive the Ruger Mark forum back to being active. I have a multitude of experience with the Ruger Mark pistols since 1971 that I'd like to share and this seems like a very good venue to share that with. I have done quite a few things with these pistols to make them run better and much smoother, so if those around here are interested and have questions, I'm free to answer with what I've learned.











    www.saronagunworks.com
    Bgoff689 and rayzer007 like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 05:32 PM
  2. Question about back sight on Ruger Mark II
    By minimal brat in forum Gunsmithing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-17-2013, 06:49 AM
  3. Ruger Mark III standard sight
    By rick d in forum Semi Autos
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 10:41 PM
  4. Ruger Mark III standard sight
    By rick d in forum Ruger MK III
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 10:41 PM
  5. Ruger Mark 3 assembly question.
    By franjy in forum Semi Autos
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Search tags for this page

how to install volquartsen tl2000

,

how to repair ruger mk 2 loose rear sight

,
install volquartsen rear sight
,

ruger mark ii

,

ruger mark11

,
ruger markii sites
,
ruger mk1 dovetail size
,
ruger mk2 rear sight dovetail dimensions
,

ruger mkii wood grips

,
size of backsight pin for ruger mark ii
,

tl rear site loose volquartsen

,
volquartsen tl2000 rear sight
Click on a term to search for related topics.