Can't manually eject a round

Can't manually eject a round

This is a discussion on Can't manually eject a round within the Ruger American Discussion forums, part of the Ruger American Pistol category; I just bought a new American Pistol 9mm, competition version. I've taken it to the range numerous times, but I've always emptied the magazine down ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hmarin

Thread: Can't manually eject a round

1. #1 Can't manually eject a round 
    New User
    I just bought a new American Pistol 9mm, competition version.

I've taken it to the range numerous times, but I've always emptied the magazine down range.

Yesterday I shot only half the magazine, and then decided to clear the weapon and set it down. The instructions say to remove the magazine and pull back the slide to eject the live round.

The slide is locked with a round in the chamber, and the slide won't retract. I put the magazine back in and tried again. No go, the slide is locked with a round in the chamber. I fought with that thing a while, and decided just to empty the rest of the magazine down range. Once the magazine is empty, the slide retracts easily.

I noticed that the instruction manual is for the regular American Pistol, and a lot of the material is incorrect when it comes to the competition version. I spoke with Ruger about another issue that I had with the gun, they said that they don't have a manual that covers the competition version. I guess Ruger expects you to just figure it all out on your own.

WTF? How do you manually eject a live round from the chamber of the competition version?

2. #2 Re: Can't manually eject a round 
    Quote Originally Posted by hmarin View Post

WTF? How do you manually eject a live round from the chamber of the competition version?
    Welcome to the forum hmarin! There has to be something wrong with your weapon. When you talked to Ruger they should have set you up with a shipping label instead of making you call back for one.
    After a stage in any type of competition the last words from the safety officer to the shooter are "if you are finished remove the magazine, rack the slide and show clear, pull the trigger, re-holster, and he/she yells out Range is safe" Denny
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

3. #3 Re: Can't manually eject a round 
    New User
    Thanks. At least I'm not going crazy.

I had to send this brand-new pistol back to Ruger for another problem, and I just got it back from Ruger. I didn't know that this eject problem existed when I sent the pistol back to Ruger.

Looks like I'm gonna have to sent this brand-new pistol back to Ruger a second time in 2 weeks.

I've never owned a Ruger before, and I read that the company had a bad rap. I read that the American Pistol was helping to turn around Ruger's reputation.

I guess that's not correct. This Ruger has been nothing but a P.I.T.A.
    Denny4kids likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Can't manually eject a round 
    Bummer man! This will be a great test to see if they catch the second problem. I bet they will. Thanks for coming back! Please keep us informed. You should like the longer barrel. The extra inch of sight radius helps me get on target quicker. Are you going to use the weapon for competition? Den
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

6. #5 Re: Can't manually eject a round 
    Examine the extractor. Chipped? Debris? Only similar situation I had was a build up of carbon and crud in the extractor. Shot and cycled fine, but also wouldn't hand eject. (A 1911, but I don't think that makes much difference) If it looks OK, then back to the mother ship it needs to go.
    Ruger -Charger, LCP, 1911, Single-Six, Mk III, GP-100, Blackhawk 41, Super Blackhawk 44, Super Redhawk 480, SP-101 22
    S&W - Model 60 .357, Model 29 44
    1911 - Ruger SR-1911, Kimber Tactical II, Colt Gold Cup, Rock Island 1911A1, Springfield EMP (9mm), GSG (22lr)
    A few other auto loaders
    Numerous Single Action wheel guns
    Too many long guns to list...
    Retired USAF. Retired Deputy Sheriff.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads