Why do you or don't you reload/handload your ammo?

Why do you or don't you reload/handload your ammo?

This is a discussion on Why do you or don't you reload/handload your ammo? within the Reload Bench forums, part of the General Category category; I would like to create a casual poll about why shooters reload/hand-load their ammo. I got off early from work today and loaded 1000 rounds ...

View Poll Results: Why do you or don't you reload/handload your ammo?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • What is the point? I can just buy ammo.

3 10.34%
  • I reload to save money and shoot more

13 44.83%
  • I just don't know where to start but I want to learn

0 0%
  • I reload because it is a great hobby

7 24.14%
  • I just can't make the time to reload

6 20.69%
  • It is pure joy to create better ammo for my handguns and rifles than I can buy factory loaded

5 17.24%
  • The tools and gear are too expensive

2 6.90%
  • I reload and lost interest, now I just buy ammo

1 3.45%
  • I compete with handguns and rifles and would go broke if I didn't reload!

2 6.90%
  • I'm on the fence and just don't know what to do

1 3.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Why do you or don't you reload/handload your ammo?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Why do you or don't you reload/handload your ammo? 
    I would like to create a casual poll about why shooters reload/hand-load their ammo. I got off early from work today and loaded 1000 rounds of 9mm in about 3 hours with my Hornady progressive press. I was not in a hurry or stressed out in any way, for about $110. These were loads for competition but they could have been for defensive practice/training and have the same felt recoil and point of impact as expensive carry rounds. I load practice carry rounds that shoot just like expensive carry rounds for .380, 9mm 10mm for cheap! And listen to this carefully: When I test my reloads, the SD (standard deviation) is lower than any factory ammo that I have tested! That is a good thing, it means my ammo is better than most.
    The reloading learning curve is not that big. It would be best to have a mentor or take a class. With proper research a shooter can learn on his/her own....I did.
    If anyone has fears or questions please post them and we can work them out. Denny
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

2. #2 Re: Why do you or don't you reload/handload your ammo? 
    Reloading is a stress reliever just like shooting. I do not reload a lot at one time. Normally just a few hundred rounds . I gave up all calibers a long time ago, and now just shoot 9mm. (I also own about five 22.s) I have a turret Press and enjoy making my own loads for various weapons. I shoot about 2-3 times a week and buy quite a bit of ammo for my main shooting and training. I started off with just reading as much as possible and used a Lee Hand Press and would just focus on one box at a time. Later, I would use the hand press in stages. Prime 100 rounds, then another step of 100 etc. Personally I think the best way to learn is to just go slowly, load a box, see how they shoot and then due your tweaking with different powders etc. It is gratifying to shoot ammo that you yourself designed and see how it shoots for a particular weapon. There is no need to rush the learning process. Learning is half the fun. Actually I enjoyed the hand press and still use it.

3. #3 Re: Why do you or don't you reload/handload your ammo? 
    The local range where I shoot does not permit reloads.
    rpott3 likes this.
    Dave

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Why do you or don't you reload/handload your ammo? 
    I compete in three different shooting venues. I load ammo appropriate for each "style" of shooting. No way I could afford to compete and practice if I were buying ammo.
    I have two Dillon 650's, a Lee Turret, and a Mec Grabber shotshell loader.
    Currently load 12 gauge shotshells, 9mm - 38 special - 357 mag - 45 acp - 45 colt - 223 - 30-06 - & 308.
    The only ammo I buy is carry ammo.
    I don't find loading relaxing. For me it is just a "necessary evil" that has to be done. I would much rather be building pistols or rifles than loading ammo.

6. #5 Re: Why do you or don't you reload/handload your ammo? 
    Quote Originally Posted by dkma22 View Post
    The local range where I shoot does not permit reloads.
    you took my answer!

Me: It's not how often you fall down, but how often you get back up!
    Cop: That's not how this field sobriety test works.

7. #6 Re: Why do you or don't you reload/handload your ammo? 
    No time to reload, oherwise I would.

8. #7 Re: Why do you or don't you reload/handload your ammo? 
    I'm a smoker.
    Denny4kids likes this.

9. #8 Re: Why do you or don't you reload/handload your ammo? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West View Post
    I'm a smoker.
    I gave up the cigs and cigars years ago. Now just Vape. Actually like it more. Really nice tobaccos and cigar flavors out there. More energy now, blood pressure dropped significantly and can enjoy a good cigar like flavor while reloading. Not trying to preach, but just a thought.

10. #9 Re: Why do you or don't you reload/handload your ammo? 
    I started reloading right after Sandy Hook. We would not have been able to get ammo especially .380 otherwise. Now just make it when I need it.

11. #10 Re: Why do you or don't you reload/handload your ammo? 
    Thanks for all the replies and pole votes!

When I run my Hornady progressive press to crank out pistol ammo I usually can't relax. It is a total concentration effort for a couple hours with a net result of 1000 rounds. I could also slow down and load fewer rounds and relax.
    The real fun for me is working up new loads and testing them for velocity and accuracy. I still have a ball with my single stage press. I have a Lee tripod stand and have brought it to the range and worked up rifle and even pistol loads right from the back of my Jeep grand Cherokee. What a blast. I can create custom ammo for my weapons that the top ammo manufacturers don't even come close to. The ammo company's have to make ammo that works in all weapons, we can create match ammo that works in our personal weapon. This ammo might not be perfect in your friend's weapon but is for yours.

I know the equipment cost can add up. If I did the math correctly, to recover a $500 investment, you would have to reload 33-100 round boxes of cheap ammo (WWB) or if you only shoot carry ammo, 38-20 round boxes of the expensive ammo. I can load cheap ammo for 11 cents and hollow points for 15 cents a round. Appx. It is possible to recover your investment. Denny
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads