What causes failures to eject? Does using ball eliminate that FTEject?

What causes failures to eject? Does using ball eliminate that FTEject?

This is a discussion on What causes failures to eject? Does using ball eliminate that FTEject? within the Range Card forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Having shot 2 50 rd boxes of the highly vaunted Precision 1 XTP 90 gr without problem, I thought I had finally found the super-bullet. ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Green Fire Fuze
  • 1 Post By Denny4kids
  • 1 Post By louchia
  • 2 Post By SkipD

Thread: What causes failures to eject? Does using ball eliminate that FTEject?

1. #1 What causes failures to eject? Does using ball eliminate that FTEject? 
    Having shot 2 50 rd boxes of the highly vaunted Precision 1 XTP 90 gr without problem, I thought I had finally found the super-bullet. After paying about $40.00 a box of 50, and waiting 3 weeks, imagine my disappointment when after 25 rds I got FT eject and some FT feed (separate bad magazine issue I think).

I also shot 50 rds of Sig ball 100 gr which seemed to shoot fine (I was so angry it was hard to keep track) as I think Sellior & Belloit ball, and even Winchester WB ball are the least troublesome. I think this gun can function using ball. The gun has only 600 rds on it as of now.

But there is a definite flaw in the feed ramp. There are two grooves on the right side that occurred in the forging process that seem to be getting worse as the ramp becomes worn. I am sending it back to Ruger. If these defects are causing trouble the barrel needs to be replaced. I tried living with it but it looks like it is getting worse - not better. This needs checking.

If this gun can only shoot ball reliably well then ok, as long as it goes bang every time I pull the trigger I can live with ball - "and make it count."
    pennsy likes this.

2. #2 Re: What causes failures to eject? Does using ball eliminate that FTEject? 
    I believe your weapon needs to go back to the shop. In my 8 or so years at this forum I've never heard of a groove on the feed ramp. Den
    louchia likes this.
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

3. #3 Re: What causes failures to eject? Does using ball eliminate that FTEject? 
    I know, but it does fire ball ammo just fine - shot 100 rds of WWbox flawlessly today. There are three grooves, casting flaws on the extreme right edge of the feed ramp, and there was a nick and a burr on the upper right inside slide edge that wore away. But I can see these casting flaws aren't getting better. Alternative? Keep it, carry it and just shoot ball once in awhile? Nah, I guess it'll only get worse.

I really hate to send it back and wait three months and RUGER CS has been good to me so far, so I really hate to impose. If it would stay like this I could live with it but the flaws are only getting worse and even now I can't count on HP or XTP bullets, like Precision 1.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: What causes failures to eject? Does using ball eliminate that FTEject? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny4kids View Post
    I believe your weapon needs to go back to the shop. In my 8 or so years at this forum I've never heard of a groove on the feed ramp. Den
    +1 toytraindoc
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    Logic will get you from A to B, Imagination will take you everywhere.
    μολὼν λαβέ

6. #5 Re: What causes failures to eject? Does using ball eliminate that FTEject? 
    "wait 3 months"? My experience with Ruger CS is 10 days there and back unless there is a holiday.
    wsitgm likes this.

7. #6 Re: What causes failures to eject? Does using ball eliminate that FTEject? 
    Call Ruger's Customer Service NOW (as soon as they are open, of course) and let them have your pistol so they can correct it.

A true Failure to Eject should have absolutely nothing to do with the style of bullet that you feed the pistol as long as you are using relatively common bullet designs. Of course, you may be calling the failure something that it is not. I suggest that when you call Ruger, you do NOT use a term like "Failure to Eject" when describing the problem. Tell them something along the line of: "The empty cartridge is always brought out of the chamber but is not kicked out of the pistol." or "The empty cartridge is sometimes not fully pulled out of the chamber" (which is actually a failure to extract) or whatever description of what you can see after the failure. Many novices use the wrong terminology when trying to describe a firearm's functional problem and this failure to communicate can make resolution of the problem far more difficult for whoever is doing the troubleshooting.
    stbear and rclark28 like this.
    Skip Douglas

8. #7 Re: What causes failures to eject? Does using ball eliminate that FTEject? 
    Both of my LCP's had to go back. The one dropped magazines and the other had extraction issues due to being improperly assembled, along with having excessive machining Mark's on the interior of the slide.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads