Best FMJ for every day carry?

Best FMJ for every day carry?

This is a discussion on Best FMJ for every day carry? within the Range Card forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; It's about time (one year) to change out my carry ammo and I'm considering switching from HP to FMJ for the necessary penetration. Anyone have ...

Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Best FMJ for every day carry?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    It's about time (one year) to change out my carry ammo and I'm considering switching from HP to FMJ for the necessary penetration. Anyone have experience or recommendations? My Elsie is the Gen 2 (not the LCP II) and digested WWB as well as most other brand name range fodder w/o any problems. My daily orbits are very tame, I'm all done w/seeking out dangerous people and places.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

2. #2 re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    Splinter, do you still have access to the your local county training range? If you do, talk to the instructors first about FMJ before buying them. When I think of changing my carry ammo, I always check with my local county firing range and ask for feedback on some different ammo. I hope this helps you.
    Denny4kids likes this.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    Logic will get you from A to B, Imagination will take you everywhere.
    μολὼν λαβέ

3. #3 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    Thanks toytraindoc, had not considered that.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    When I carry FMJ in my LCP its Remington Express (green box), I believe the promo stuff to be weaker and dirtier. Since my stash is limited at some point I'll be trying something else but green box stuff has functioned flawlessly, my goal with all my carry guns is to carry what I practice with but the ammo companies seem to want to force me into cheap crap for practice and a $1.00 a round stuff for Sd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    An LCP is my CC (constant Companion)

6. #5 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    In my view there is no good FMJ for carry. I want to stop a threat not wound them. FMJ is great for wounding the opposition in war as it wounds one troop and takes four more to carry him/her to safety. I will never understand the use of FMJ's for personal protection. Shoot a watermelon with a fmj, heck shoot it a lot and you will have a watermelon with a bunch of holes. Shoot it with 1 hollow point projectile and the melon will blow up. I'll go with the HP rounds. My view, Denny
    bld522, RogueLCP, ETS and 1 others like this.
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

7. #6 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    Denny: Thanks for your input but don't be fooled by the exploding watermelon thing, I've seen it too. I've "been there" during my LEO career (Mas Ayoob wrote an article about it in last summer's American Handgunner) and no one is going to sit still when you're defending yourself from a deadly attack. Watermelon, and other fruits, make for a spectular demo but has little to do with reality. Please don't misunderstand. I mean no disrespect, appreciate your input and I am not knocking your choices.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

8. #7 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    ETS
    Punching relatively clean holes in paper or water melons is one thing--my SD carry load is Fiocchi Suprema. Any round loading an XTP bullet is superior to an FMJ for self defense........clothes or no clothes(for those of you who hang out in nudist camps).

(Mistake--see below)
    Last edited by ETS; 08-09-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    ETS
    +++("Ed")+++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LCP(2), LCP Custom(4) LC9S (semi-pro)(3), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, MK IV Tactical, SR 22, 10/22 Takedown Lite, M77(.223), Mini-14, PCC 9
    NRA Benefactor
    Gun Owners of America
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

9. #8 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    ETS: Thanks, where do you get your Fiocchi Suprema XTP?
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

10. #9 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    ETS
    From AmmoSeek(sources will vary from time to time)--they also list a cheaper Fiocchi XTP, which is not the one tested on Shooting the Bull.

Should have said Fiocchi EXTREMA. I think I ordered from this source:https://www.ableammo.com/catalog/fio...x-p-89447.html

The source is not as important as the term "EXTREMA". Fiocchi makes a Shooting Dynamics with XTP bullet, but that is not the one tested by Shooting the Bull, so really have no idea if they are equivalent....the prices are not!
    ETS
    +++("Ed")+++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LCP(2), LCP Custom(4) LC9S (semi-pro)(3), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, MK IV Tactical, SR 22, 10/22 Takedown Lite, M77(.223), Mini-14, PCC 9
    NRA Benefactor
    Gun Owners of America
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

11. #10 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    ETS
    I think I found the two videos showing the performance of Fiocchi Extrema in gelatin and gelatin/denim from ShootingTheBull410. True, Performance One did slightly better, but, at the time you had to order a minimum of 200 rds. plus shipping to find out if it worked in your weapon, so I opted for the Fiocchi:

Couldn't get the video to flow into the second (denim) portion of the test, so here it is:

Last edited by ETS; 08-09-2017 at 09:20 AM.
    ETS
    +++("Ed")+++
    NRA Benefactor
    Gun Owners of America
    Freedom 's Never Free

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads