Best FMJ for every day carry? - Page 3

Best FMJ for every day carry?

This is a discussion on Best FMJ for every day carry? within the Range Card forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Got a box of Federal HST today and, along w/various FMJ rounds, fired about 65 - 70 rounds @ 7 yards. The little gun operated ...

Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Best FMJ for every day carry?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    Got a box of Federal HST today and, along w/various FMJ rounds, fired about 65 - 70 rounds @ 7 yards. The little gun operated flawlessly and I was able to hold a 3 - 4 inch group center mass. I even mixed the mags w/HP & FMJ and Elsie continued to run absent any problems. Pretty good combat accuracy.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

2. #22 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    ETS
    Good accuracy, but a bit shy on penetration, apparently due to HST's expansion. (As per test results on AmmoQuest)
    ETS
    +++("Ed")+++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LCP(2), LCP Custom(4) LC9S (semi-pro)(3), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, MK IV Tactical, SR 22, 10/22 Takedown Lite, M77(.223), Mini-14, PCC 9
    NRA Benefactor
    Gun Owners of America
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

3. #23 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    That's true of almost all the HP defensive ammo in this caliber. I've been reading some of the reports from homicide detectives as well as corners & ER docs re: FMJ three-eighty. Their experiences are it seems to work better in that it goes through intermediate barriers like an arm (victim's defensive posture) and reaches the vitals better than HP. Stephen Camp's 2010 book about the J Frame also talked a bit about the three-eighty and said the same thing about FMJ vs HP. I carried a KelTec P32 for awhile and kept FMJ in that.
    ETS likes this.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #24 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    ETS
    Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    That's true of almost all the HP defensive ammo in this caliber. I've been reading some of the reports from homicide detectives as well as corners & ER docs re: FMJ three-eighty. Their experiences are it seems to work better in that it goes through intermediate barriers like an arm (victim's defensive posture) and reaches the vitals better than HP. Stephen Camp's 2010 book about the J Frame also talked a bit about the three-eighty and said the same thing about FMJ vs HP. I carried a KelTec P32 for awhile and kept FMJ in that.
    1+ to that. Given the conundrum of expansion being inversely related to penetration, have been keeping only FMJs in my KelTec P32. Seems like .380 auto is on the cusp of being able to accomplish a satisfactory blend of the two.
    ETS
    +++("Ed")+++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LCP(2), LCP Custom(4) LC9S (semi-pro)(3), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, MK IV Tactical, SR 22, 10/22 Takedown Lite, M77(.223), Mini-14, PCC 9
    NRA Benefactor
    Gun Owners of America
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

6. #25 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    ETS
    Splinter--you may have already read this, but, before you close your mind to all .380 ammo, except FMJ, please read this and think about it. The 12'-18" of ballistic gel penetration figure was arrived at by a panel of experts who took into consideration the factors of bone, angled shots, arms, etc. being encountered by the bullet:

More on Bullet Penetration ? and Why We Don?t Use Bones When Testing Ammo in Gel | Shooting The Bull

This is why I am giving the "Penetrator" style bullet a serious second thought. And, don't forget that any panel of experts may not be aware of the many recent developments in both hollow points, such as the XTP and, now, the Penetrator. I suspect that to many of those so-called experts, "a hollow point is a hollow point is a hollow point".
    ETS
    +++("Ed")+++
    NRA Benefactor
    Gun Owners of America
    Freedom 's Never Free

7. #26 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    Thanks ETS, I have read this but it was helpful to read it again. I've also looked at some of the data on .380 one shot stops, HP vs FMJ (I've "been there" as a cop and realize what this really means). I'm actually looking at some of the better XTP HP styles but there's little selection at my LGS so I'm off to the internet. Many thanks to you and everyone else who has contriubted to this thread.
    ETS likes this.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

8. #27 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    So will you be the first to try Ammo Quest's best-performing .380 Auto round, Splinter? Curious minds want to know. (I'd try it myself but I picked up some CD when I bought my LCP and I haven't shot my way through that yet. When I do, Precision One's .380 HP/XTPs are right at the top of my list.)
    Last edited by bld522; 08-12-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    Self-defense Rule #1: Time is of the essence.

9. #28 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    Bld522: In answer to your Q my hesitation is what if I buy it and it will not feed in my LCP. If I can find it I'll buy one box and test it. If all goes well I'll order enough to fill my two mags plus a few more. Stay tuned . . .
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

10. #29 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    Ordered two 50 round boxes today, I'll test and post my results as soon as it arrives.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

11. #30 Re: Best FMJ for every day carry? 
    Awesome! Thanks, Splinter.
    Self-defense Rule #1: Time is of the essence.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads