Security-9 slide locks open/stuck on last round

Security-9 slide locks open/stuck on last round

This is a discussion on Security-9 slide locks open/stuck on last round within the LCR Discussion forums, part of the LCR category; Hello, all, I am a relatively new gun-owner (have been shooting my pistol, a Glock 17g4, for about 1.5 years), so I apologize in advance... ...

Thread: Security-9 slide locks open/stuck on last round

New User
    Hello, all,

I am a relatively new gun-owner (have been shooting my pistol, a Glock 17g4, for about 1.5 years), so I apologize in advance...

I recently bought my wife a Ruger Security-9 for protection. When I first inspected it, I found it was really hard to get the slide stop to set, but was told it would loosen up with firing, and slingshot worked fine. After about 300 rounds, it's easier to set the slide stop.

But the problem is the slide "locks out" on last round. There is absolutely no play. The slide stop won't go down no matter how hard you come after it. If I give it a slingshot "attempt" (again, no play at all) it will come loose on like the fourth try, but it's very, very hard, not something my wife could do.

Once it's been freed, it will slingshot like normal, and you can set and unset the slide stop pretty normally. But after I fire the next clip it does the same exact thing.

Like I said, I've put about 300 rounds through it at this point. It's a major pain now, slingshotting it out of that state is chewing up my hand. It's obviously not much use if my wife can't reload it.

Can someone let me know what might be wrong?

Thanks,
    Pete

2. #2 Re: Security-9 slide locks open/stuck on last round 
    Slide stop/slide release. Without reading the Security 9 manual I can't say how it is described. On my LC9s it is called a stop. To release the slide it should be sling shotted. Mine would not release the slide but after about 900 rounds it did eventually loosen up enough to release the slide but I still would not use it for that purpose.
    Raylan Givens > Justified > Quotable Quote
    “If you run into an ahole in the morning, you ran into an ahole. If you run into aholes all day, you're the ahole.”

3. #3 Re: Security-9 slide locks open/stuck on last round 
    I have a security 9.
    I'm not sure I follow exactly what you are saying.
    The slide is supposed to lock open on the last round.
    You have to remove the magazine to close the slide.
    The slide stop is not really a slide release. You are supposed to sling shot it.
    I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding the issue.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Security-9 slide locks open/stuck on last round 
    OP was a one and done.
    Raylan Givens > Justified > Quotable Quote
    “If you run into an ahole in the morning, you ran into an ahole. If you run into aholes all day, you're the ahole.”

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads