Handled a 9mm LCR today....

Handled a 9mm LCR today....

This is a discussion on Handled a 9mm LCR today.... within the LCR Discussion forums, part of the LCR category; and I LIKED it!! It had the exposed hammer so that makes it an LCR x right? It was an okay price NIB $397 + ...

Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Handled a 9mm LCR today....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Handled a 9mm LCR today.... 
    and I LIKED it!! It had the exposed hammer so that makes it an LCR x right? It was an okay price NIB $397 + 3% for CC and 8.25% tax. I didn't get it as it was the first time I had handled one. But it felt great in my hand. I was at the Mesquite, TX gun show.

I'm thinking this is going to be my next gun purchase. It will take the place of my S&W 642 j frame. It will be a good pick up for me as it will also share ammo with my Shield 9mm and my Mod 2 SC 9mm.

Dang it! Now I am wishing I had gone ahead and gotten it.

Joe

2. #2 Re: Handled a 9mm LCR today.... 
    Nice price. Hope when you’re able to get one, You can find one at that price.

How was the show?
    Rescue the weak and needy; Deliver them out of the hand of the wicked. Psalm 82:4

3. #3 Re: Handled a 9mm LCR today.... 
    ETS
    OK, don't mean to be critical, but have never understood the attraction of a 9mm revolver, which requires the additional use of a moon clip. The need to keep track of more paraphenalia for my firearms is a complete turn-off.....heck, at my age, have enough trouble keeping track of my glasses, hearing aiids, etc. Guess interchangeably of using 9mm ammo is an attraction, but, certainly, a minor one to me.

Convince me, guys 'n gals.
    ETS
    +++("Ed")+++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LCP(2), LCP Custom(4) LC9S (semi-pro)(3), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, MK IV Tactical, SR 22, 10/22 Takedown Lite, M77(.223), Mini-14, PCC 9
    NRA Benefactor
    Gun Owners of America
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Handled a 9mm LCR today.... 
    Quick reloads? .38 Special is expensive.
    ETS likes this.
    Raylan Givens > Justified > Quotable Quote
    “If you run into an ahole in the morning, you ran into an ahole. If you run into aholes all day, you're the ahole.”

6. #5 Re: Handled a 9mm LCR today.... 
    ETS
    Quote Originally Posted by pennsy View Post
    Quick reloads? .38 Special is expensive.
    OK, but not convincing enough to me.
    ETS
    +++("Ed")+++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LCP(2), LCP Custom(4) LC9S (semi-pro)(3), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, MK IV Tactical, SR 22, 10/22 Takedown Lite, M77(.223), Mini-14, PCC 9
    NRA Benefactor
    Gun Owners of America
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

7. #6 Re: Handled a 9mm LCR today.... 
    I have read the 9mm is a better performer than 38 with less blast than 357. I don't know. You can use it without the clips.
    Raylan Givens > Justified > Quotable Quote
    “If you run into an ahole in the morning, you ran into an ahole. If you run into aholes all day, you're the ahole.”

8. #7 Re: Handled a 9mm LCR today.... 
    We rented the LCR, LCRx and SP101 in 9mm and liked it as well.
    I used to not like the idea of a 9mm in a revolver until last month when I test fired both the SP101 and the LCRx. Both are good shooters and performed quite well. Vance Outdoors now has the SP101 9mm on sale for $419 this month and that is a good buy. I did shoot the LCRx in both 9mm and 22LR and really liked both. I still am on the fence with the 9mm and mood clips. I know you do not need to use the clips but just a concern. I got used to the moon clips at the test range and both 9mm shot accurate and Ruger did a good job.
    Wounded Warrior Project
    "Protect the ones you love!"
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    NRA Member

9. #8 Re: Handled a 9mm LCR today.... 
    I was very interested in the 9mm LCR when it first came out.
    What caused me to pass on it, was at the time, there were reports of the 9mm cartridges "Crimp Jumping".

Being that the 9mm cartridge was designed for semi autos and not revolvers, it does not have a solid roll crimp like say, a .38 or .357 cartridge does.
    Therefore, the 9mm cartridge is susceptible to crimp jump when fired from a revolver.

Crimp-jump is the action of the bullet (the projectile portion of the cartridge) becoming unseated from its original and proper position within its casing, causing the overall length of the cartridge to increase as more of the bullet is extruded from the case. This can cause the revolvers' actions to become locked up due to crimp-jumped bullets being wedged against the frame and thus preventing the cylinder's rotation.

Shortly after the 9mm LCR came out, one of the members here, ljutic (Bruce) did some testing of the crimp jumping issue of the 9mm LCR.
    If I recall correctly (IIRC), the issue came down to the Ammo Brand - some manufacturer's ammo exhibited crimp jumping significantly, while some did not.
    (Sorry, I do not recall which did, or did not have problems.)
    ljutic's Pocket gun review site:
    Pocket Guns and Gear: Gun Reviews

However, for the past couple of years, I haven't heard any more complaints of crimp jumping with the 9mm LCR.
    So, I don't know if the issue has been resolved or not.

Please let us know of your experiences with your 9mm LCR.
    rclark28 likes this.

10. #9 Re: Handled a 9mm LCR today.... 
    New User
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBlue View Post
    I was very interested in the 9mm LCR when it first came out.
    What caused me to pass on it, was at the time, there were reports of the 9mm cartridges "Crimp Jumping".

Being that the 9mm cartridge was designed for semi autos and not revolvers, it does not have a solid roll crimp like say, a .38 or .357 cartridge does.
    Therefore, the 9mm cartridge is susceptible to crimp jump when fired from a revolver.

Crimp-jump is the action of the bullet (the projectile portion of the cartridge) becoming unseated from its original and proper position within its casing, causing the overall length of the cartridge to increase as more of the bullet is extruded from the case. This can cause the revolvers' actions to become locked up due to crimp-jumped bullets being wedged against the frame and thus preventing the cylinder's rotation.

Shortly after the 9mm LCR came out, one of the members here, ljutic (Bruce) did some testing of the crimp jumping issue of the 9mm LCR.
    If I recall correctly (IIRC), the issue came down to the Ammo Brand - some manufacturer's ammo exhibited crimp jumping significantly, while some did not.
    (Sorry, I do not recall which did, or did not have problems.)
    ljutic's Pocket gun review site:
    Pocket Guns and Gear: Gun Reviews

However, for the past couple of years, I haven't heard any more complaints of crimp jumping with the 9mm LCR.
    So, I don't know if the issue has been resolved or not.

Please let us know of your experiences with your 9mm LCR.
    I have the 9mm Ruger LCRX and the Ruger LCR 357 and I very much like both guns. The 357 is my main EDC. As for Crimp Jumping I have 1100 rounds down range on the 9mm and have never experience a problem. I know the problem does exist. I use American Eagle Range Ammo for target and Hornady Critical Defense 115Grn FTX for self defense. There are videos and articles on the type of ammunition that will not Crimp Jump and these two are included. Coincidentally these are the two that I use on all my 9mm guns. The LCRX 9mm is a joy to fire. Several times I have used the ammo intended for my auto's on the Ruger because I enjoy firing it. Extremely accurate with minimum recoil. When used as a single action I can put all rounds in the black from 10 yards one handed. I routinely fire minus the MoonClips and can successfully eject them MOST of the time however, I prefer the MoonClips because of the quick loading capabilities. I can go on but it is best to fire it yourself.

11. #10 Re: Handled a 9mm LCR today.... 
    Thanks GunnyBlue! Crimp jump is another consideration. Like I stated before the LCR, LCRx and the SP101 I tested in 9mm surprised me on how well they performed. Accurate and very comfortable even with the moon clips in the mix. Just still not convinced on the caliber for my revolver replacement just yet. I will say that the price at Vance Outdoors for a SP101 in 9mm for $419.00 is hard to beat. I really liked the LCRx I rented at the Bullet Ranch and the search continues for me. You know I do remember that "BlazzerBrass" 115 gr FMJ did give us a issue about a decade ago with crimping and I have never run into that since. Maybe it is a none issue today but I will consider and look into it. Thanks for the information and have a great day GunnyBlue!
    Wounded Warrior Project
    "Protect the ones you love!"
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads