Lcp jamming

Lcp jamming

This is a discussion on Lcp jamming within the LCP Technical forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; just got an LCP, took it out today and it was jamming every 3rd shot. Failing to extract. Do i need to send it back ...

Thread: Lcp jamming

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Lcp jamming 
    New User
    just got an LCP, took it out today and it was jamming every 3rd shot. Failing to extract. Do i need to send it back to Ruger? The casing was jamming in the barrel

2. #2 Re: Lcp jamming 
    Hi Joe.

Sorry to hear that your first outing had problems. Pictures would be helpful if you have any. What kind of ammunition were you using? Did you do a thorough cleaning and lubrication before shooting? Are there marks on the jammed shell casings suggesting that the extractor made contact but slipped off? Any additional information would help folks help you with ideas on what might be causing the malfunction.

Cheers!

3. #3 Re: Lcp jamming 
    Can you please supply us with some pics of the issue you are having.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    Logic will get you from A to B, Imagination will take you everywhere.
    μολὼν λαβέ

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Lcp jamming 
    Is it a new gun? or used?
    those who keep score tend to keep it in their favor.

6. #5 Re: Lcp jamming 
    New User
    Quote Originally Posted by BoBo522 View Post
    Hi Joe.

Sorry to hear that your first outing had problems. Pictures would be helpful if you have any. What kind of ammunition were you using? Did you do a thorough cleaning and lubrication before shooting? Are there marks on the jammed shell casings suggesting that the extractor made contact but slipped off? Any additional information would help folks help you with ideas on what might be causing the malfunction.

Cheers!
    +1

7. #6 Re: Lcp jamming 
    Yes. Send it back immediately. Call CS first and get your shipping label.

8. #7 Re: Lcp jamming 
    You probably want to return it to Ruger; however, I would try some different ammo first. If it's jamming with just standard FMJ, then yes you may have a problem, but, the shape of some of the self defense rounds can be quite aggressive and cause feed issues too. Prior to getting my LCP I had a KelTec that was very picky about ammo, especially self defense rounds and I found that Pow'R Ball feed quite well, so, when I switch to the LCP I continued to use Pow'R Ball ammo. So, to make a long story short, I know that Pow'R Ball self defense rounds feed well into my LCP, however, I do not have much experience with other self defense rounds because once I found something that fed reliably I stuck with it (I have never had a feed malfunction with Pow'R Ball).
    Bad guys beware, Texas is a heavily armed state.
    Texas CHL holders 1,443,195 strong (as of 31 December 2019).

9. #8 Re: Lcp jamming 
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wilson View Post
    just got an LCP, took it out today and it was jamming every 3rd shot. Failing to extract. Do i need to send it back to Ruger? The casing was jamming in the barrel
    This sounds like an ammunition problem to me. Ruger will suggest you try another brand and if you are using reloads I would get rid of them and stay with factory ammo.

10. #9 Re: Lcp jamming 
    What do you mean by jamming. Is it a failure to feed or failure to extract. Each will cause a jam. Either failure can be ammo related. Failures to feed can be cause by bullet design when the bullet does not travel up the feed ramp properly. That is rare. It should not happen with any FMJ ammo. It can also be caused by a weak magazine spring. Is the gun new or used? Failures to eject can be cause by ammo or by a weak ejector spring. Try some non-white box ammo and see if the problem goes away. If it does not send the gun back to Ruger.

11. #10 Re: Lcp jamming 
    If they were really “FTExtracts,” where the spent case was still in the chamber and really failing to get extracted, it may be due to slightly out-of-spec barrel and/or slide, especially if the problem occurs with multiple brands of ammo across multiple shooters who are experienced with pocket sized semi-auto pistols. Then you need to send the gun back to Ruger.

Try different kinds of ammo, if the problem occurs regardless of the ammo types. Also ask another experienced shooter (e.g., range officer) to try your LCP to see if the same problem persists across shooters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads