Best oil and cleaning solution for LCP II?

Best oil and cleaning solution for LCP II?

This is a discussion on Best oil and cleaning solution for LCP II? within the LCP Technical forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Cranky old man. Have to wonder, but when it comes to instructions, like, looking up a process or repair on the web? There are an ...

Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Best oil and cleaning solution for LCP II?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Best oil and cleaning solution for LCP II? 
    New User
    Cranky old man. Have to wonder, but when it comes to instructions, like, looking up a process or repair on the web? There are an overwhelming surfeit of DIY videos. What I like? Instructions. Typed out. Printed. Well, maybe not printed, but available as text block.

So I like this forum, might’ve influenced my LCP II purchase. Really love this weapon, like a lot.

Stupid new user question, what is the preferred lube and cleaning solutions for the gun?

I wouldn’t ask, but I didn’t find any other threads...
    Last edited by SkipD; 12-25-2017 at 05:23 AM.

2. #2 re: Best oil and cleaning solution for LCP II? 
    1) I like a toothbrush inside to clean off residue particles on the lower, slide, and magazine as per Hickock45.
    2) followed by Birchwood Casey Lead Remover & Polishing cloth inside lower and on bottom slide.
    3) Bore snake to clear away residue from barrel
    4) followed by Hoppes No. 9 patches until patches are clear. Occasionally, copper solvent when it builds up.
    5) Overall wipe everywhere (lower, slide wipe and clean guide rod/springs with Hoppes until patches are clear).

Lube: top of chassis rails, slide rails, where slide and barrel contact and move, barrel hole, guide rail hole, and barrel slide hole, with light synthetic grease just a tiny touch will do. Make sure to lube bottom barrel lugs where barrel lugs slide over pin for breech lock.
    Lube: (Guide Rod & springs with Rem Oil - only place for oil).

I clean and lube every time I shoot (usually around 200 rounds at a time) and even with good ammo it does get dirty.
    kramerw likes this.

3. #3 Re: Best oil and cleaning solution for LCP II? 
    The best cleaning solution and best oil is Breakthrough Clean. The military, SWAT, Snippers uses their product to clean and lube.
    kramerw likes this.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    Logic will get you from A to B, Imagination will take you everywhere.
    μολὼν λαβέ

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Best oil and cleaning solution for LCP II? 
    New User
    The first time I field-stripped the new LCP II, I had Hoppes bore cleaner solution, Hoppes gun oil, and shredded t-shirts to use as bore snakes. Looks like I bought a gun cleaning kit.

I scheduled an hour and I was pulling it back together in less than 15 minutes. Another reason to like the weapon. A typical range day for me will include at least two boxes of shells through the little cute pistol.

So next stupid new user question, how often should I field strip and clean the weapon? Every range trip? Every 500 rounds? Once a year?

According to the above, I would be safe if I did it every range trip.

Remember: auto-correct is the enema.
    Last edited by SkipD; 12-26-2017 at 09:35 PM.

6. #5 Re: Best oil and cleaning solution for LCP II? 
    More damage is typically done to firearms by cleaning than shooting. But, my carry guns they are cleaned anytime I shoot them and ops checked every time I put it on. I don't "assume" it is still OK.
    louchia likes this.
    Ruger -Charger, LCP, 1911, Single-Six, Mk III, GP-100, Blackhawk 41, Super Blackhawk 44, Super Redhawk 480, SP-101 22
    S&W - Model 60 .357, Model 29 44
    1911 - Ruger SR-1911, Kimber Tactical II, Colt Gold Cup, Rock Island 1911A1, Springfield EMP (9mm), GSG (22lr)
    A few other auto loaders
    Numerous Single Action wheel guns
    Too many long guns to list...
    Retired USAF. Retired Deputy Sheriff.

7. #6 Re: Best oil and cleaning solution for LCP II? 
    The only parts I oil is occasionally the moving trigger parts of handguns. Everything else gets light grease (Superlube).
    I clean with either Hoppes Elite Cleaner or Ballistol and oil the barrel bore with either Slip 2000 EWL or Lucas Extreme.

8. #7 Re: Best oil and cleaning solution for LCP II? 
    Welcome to the forums.
    I still use good ole Hoppe’s No. 9 to clean my guns after all these years simply because it works. Bore snakes are great for quick cleaning after each range session of two boxes. But I would also use a bronze bore brush and cotton patches to really clean the barrel at every 300-500 rounds.

You also want to have one of those “gun cleaning tooth brushes” handy - not a regular tooth brush but a gun cleaning nylon brush that looks like a tooth brush to clean the frame and slide. I also use Blue Shop Towel whenever I clean my guns.

For the “best” gun lube, every gun owner/shooter has his own “best lube” to recommend, which basically means any oil marketed as “gun oil” or “gun lube” would do fine. My current “best gun lube” is Wilson Combat’s Universal gun lube. But BreakFree CLP that you can find at your local sporting good store or Wally Wold will do very well.

No need to overthink and overclean your gun. And just don’t overlube your little LCP as it can attract dust, lint and whatever small particles to gunk up.

Other than regular cleaning, it is also a good idea to replace the recoil spring set of your LCP at every 500 rounds or so to keep your little gun reliable. Recoil spring in larger guns can last much more rounds. But recoil springs in pocket pistols like the LCP take a lot of beating. They are really inexpensive anyways. Buy a few sets from Ruger and keep them handy in your range bag.

Enjoy your LCPII!

9. #8 Re: Best oil and cleaning solution for LCP II? 
    w
    For oil i just refill a little oiler thingy that i bought once with official store bought gun oil with the same Mobil 1 synthetic oil i use in my vehicles.

10. #9 Re: Best oil and cleaning solution for LCP II? 
    Why Mobil One rather than any other synthetic oil ?

11. #10 Re: Best oil and cleaning solution for LCP II? 
    I use Breakfree CLP. Bought a pint bottle a couple yrs back and still have not used all of it. I shoot and clean 2-3 gun once a week. Clean and lube with one product. It's really not much more costly, Not even as much as a box of ammo.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads