1) I like a toothbrush inside to clean off residue particles on the lower, slide, and magazine as per Hickock45.
2) followed by Birchwood Casey Lead Remover & Polishing cloth inside lower and on bottom slide.
3) Bore snake to clear away residue from barrel
4) followed by Hoppes No. 9 patches until patches are clear. Occasionally, copper solvent when it builds up.
5) Overall wipe everywhere (lower, slide wipe and clean guide rod/springs with Hoppes until patches are clear).
Lube: top of chassis rails, slide rails, where slide and barrel contact and move, barrel hole, guide rail hole, and barrel slide hole, with light synthetic grease just a tiny touch will do. Make sure to lube bottom barrel lugs where barrel lugs slide over pin for breech lock.
Lube: (Guide Rod & springs with Rem Oil - only place for oil).
I clean and lube every time I shoot (usually around 200 rounds at a time) and even with good ammo it does get dirty.