Ruger Pistol Forums banner

My newest project

6K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  ETS 
#1 ·
This is my latest acquisition:

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

Up to this point, am really impressed with the appearance of the EC9s compared to the LC9s's that I have. The trigger is identical to it's more expensive brothers and I like the "black oxide" finish. It does not get covered with finger prints like the blued ones. The interior machining looks very good and, overall, am very happy to have a nice quality LC9s without drift adjustable sights for $203.

I plan a trip to the range after Labor Day to test for reliability, including with the MagGuts magazine mod., and, with additions, to make it my ultimate bedside gun. Have already painted front sight with Testors fluorescent orange, although not particularly critical to it's final use. Stay tuned for updates.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looking forward on reading your range report.

#4 ·
When I saw it for significantly less than a II, I just couldn't pass it up. At that price, I figured it would be a piece of junk, it appears the opposite....hope it works as good as it looks and feels.

(Just checked-GOG is still listing it at $210)

#6 ·
No--I like the soft, non-shiny oxide finish somewhat better than the shiny, blueing. Overall, it seems to be identical in all respects, except the sights.

#7 ·
I can live without adjustable sights on a carry gun. I think the only thing I ever did to the rear sight on the LC9s pro was tighten the allen screw that came loose.

Reactions: Bgoff689
#9 · (Edited)
Took this pic. tonight at the camp while cleaning the EC9s after trip to the range yesterday:

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Airsoft

Shot about 200 rds. including Blaser Brass 115gr, Agulla 124gr, Federal HST 124gr and Federal Aluminum 115 gr. Had three failures to feed from the Aluminum, only. Used two different mags. with the MagGuts +1 modification and they performed flawlessly, although did not try them with the aluminum rounds. Accuracy with the fixed sights and shot placement at 10 yds was just fine. I have a total of eleven mags for the LC9 series and started the session with all of them loaded with a mixture of all the above ammo and finished up concentrating on the eight rounder mags. with the HST.

Very happy with the $203 EC9S and plan to modify it further for bedside, "bump-in-the night" use.

Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, plan to run my Savage Silver Stainless Cerakoted LCP II through it's shake down.

(Guess I should call this an EC9S Semi-Pro, since the magazine disconnect safety has been removed)

#10 ·
Federal Aluminum 115 gr. Had three failures to feed from the Aluminum, only.
somewhere else here I posted about my experience with Federal Aluminum. most of a box had the bullet loose in the case (not crimped tight). bullet would push-in when it rode the feed-ramp and wouldn't chamber properly (FTFeed). Had one when I racked it clear, it pulled the case and left the bullet in the gun. next round was FTFeed cause the last bullet was still in the chamber.

anyway...

Stay away from Federal Aluminum

Reactions: ETS
#11 ·
Sounds like good advice for any aluminum cased ammo. The only failure I saw with the LCP was with Blazer aluminum.

#13 · (Edited)
Modifications continue. Ruger ext. 9round magazine and LaserMax green laser/light, which seems to be a very solid, well designed unit. It has grip-sense activation, which is much better than the electronic contact design that I have on an old ?Armalaser?.

Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun barrel

Muzzle view with laser and light turned on:

Knife Everyday carry Revolver Tool

Breech view with the light/laser activated. The front sight is unnaturally illuminated and overall effect somewhat reduced by the fact I could not defeat the camera flash. In near-dark situations, the front sight is just a dark silhouette. The projected light is more than enough to identify the target:

Room

Additional range report to follow.
(If it ever stops raining)

#15 ·
Exactly, but is proximetry (sp.?) activated. Even a sloppy, loose grip causes a solid activation....it really works very well.

#16 ·
Nice work! I've been having a problem with my extended mag. For some reason the mag disengages and causes a failure to eject. I shoot left and right handed and this happens mainly when I shoot left handed. Definitely gonna have to correct this.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Hmm....haven't shot it with the extended mag., yet. I have had perfect performance with standard mags./MagGuts +1 modification.

#21 ·
Maybe contact Ruger . They will replace it. If it still acts up, perhaps the mag release needs attention. I don't own extended mags but have read of issues. A lot of extra torque with that extra length sticking out. Just remembered, I do have an Impact +one extension that has not given me any problems but I don't carry with it just in case.

#22 ·
Back from the range. Was able to run about a dozen magfulls of the Ruger +2 extended mag plus about 6 magsfull using one with the +1 MagGuts modification. All functioned without a hitch. Very happy with the results. Was also using the LaserMax laser/light with the light on to test for calibration of the laser and reliability of the light combo. Found out that I had to retrain myself to concentrate on the laser instead of the sights. I was surprised that I had to relearn ignoring the sight picture. Another thing that was apparent, was that, using the laser, my groups appeared significantly smaller than they had been with the open sights, alone. I suspect maybe I need to practice more with the open sights, or accept that my aging eyesight may be at play, here.

I planned to shoot some more from different positions, different targets and off-hand, but decided to "call it a day" when my LaserMax batteries died. Next trip I will leave the flashlight portion off. All in all---a good day was had.

#23 ·
If you are going to rely on the laser you best practice a lot with it as you found out. I took mine off because it just felt like too much to think about in a stressful situation . Mine did not have the sensor so yours is better in that regard. Mine also bit my trigger finger as the trigger guard is made smaller because of it. Mine was very accurate after one adjustment after the initial sight in. For a special purpose bedside gun it may give you the edge but having two styles of sight acquisition could be confusing, one with a laser and your carry gun with open sights Just giving you my 2 cents .

#24 ·
In the dark, the open sights are, probably, less distracting--hoping so, anyway. Of course, I am not planning on EDC of the "combo" set-up.

Reactions: Bgoff689
#25 ·
ETS, Do you shoot left or right handed. My mag release problem is only when I shoot left handed but I practice with both.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Sorry, didn't see your post earlier--right handed. The large mag. seemed solid throughout the session. Didn't get around to shooting with left hand.

#26 ·
True. I like the flashlight option also. I found my laser useful in full darkness and through windows at night. Longer distance shooting is possible with the laser at night. So, many pluses but that one negative of adding complexity to an instinctual act was a little to much for this old dog. Maybe I should give it a chance again.

#27 ·
Give the ol' dog another chance.:watermelon:....Seriously, if you have a firearm to dedicate to the home/nite situation, consider doing it, but I recommend the GripSense activation system on the LaserMax. I didn't notice it impinging on the the space for the trigger finger, but, I took another look and it may do so.....I was unaware that it did this afternoon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.