Lcp 2 cleaning questions

Lcp 2 cleaning questions

This is a discussion on Lcp 2 cleaning questions within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; hello all im newer to guns and just picked up a little lcp 2. I have watched a few cleaning videos but none of them ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By allenr

Thread: Lcp 2 cleaning questions

1. #1 Lcp 2 cleaning questions 
    New User
    hello all im newer to guns and just picked up a little lcp 2. I have watched a few cleaning videos but none of them explained where and what to oil and how much. I use to much oil whenever I clean my mk3 and I'm trying to learn.

2. #2 Re: Lcp 2 cleaning questions 
    1.) For years I have used Hoppe's 9 cleaner and Hoppe's Oil with very good results.
    2.) For the past x2 years I been using Break Free CLP and have had been very happy. Others here may have more suggestions.
    *I also keep Rem Oil around for light uses.
    3.) Threads on cleaning are fun to read because of the many different ways and products. Read the manual and try what you can. It does depend on the firearm and keeping a firearm clean is important. I love the process of caring for these firearms it is therapy for me.
    4.) Keep looking for videos on what to lube and where. Some members may chime in here and assist on your LCP. Look at the manual or download it from Ruger.
    https://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html
    Wounded Warrior Project
    "Protect the ones you love!"
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    NRA Member

3. #3 Re: Lcp 2 cleaning questions 
    Welcome to the forum Welderman85! Here is your video. Denny

https://ruger.com/videos.html?vid=205227944&cat=3769278
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

New User
    Do you clean a new gun before shooting

6. #5 Re: Lcp 2 cleaning questions 
    You do clean a new gun before shooting it. New does not mean clean. Clean the gun very thoroughly to remove any grit from the manufacturing process and any residue from it being test fired at the Factory. The video posted by @Denny4kids is excellent. Ruger know s hot to maintainer its guns and the video is Ruger’s advice. I also agree with @rclark28 about using CLP for cleaning RemOil for periodic light oiling between cleanings. Oil dries out.periodic likings are best done to pivot points and the rails. What ever you do remember the Light Oil recommendation of Ruger. Accumulated oil just turn into gunk from powder residue as the gun is fired often. My rule is clean it after you shoot it. It will work if you wait for lots of shooting but why wait. Those in the military who were issued firearms will confirm this. It is beaten into your mind that your life might depend upon your weapon. Keep it well maintained.
    Last edited by allenr; 07-27-2020 at 07:12 AM.
    rclark28 likes this.

7. #6 Re: Lcp 2 cleaning questions 
    Quote Originally Posted by Welderman85 View Post
    Do you clean a new gun before shooting
    Yes! Gives you a chance to know your firearm. Read post#5 too. Enjoy your journey! Good luck and be safe.
    Edit: If you did not-> start now...I clean after each training session. Your life may depend on your firearm.
    PEACE FAVOR YOUR SWORD!
    Last edited by rclark28; 07-26-2020 at 09:05 PM.
    Wounded Warrior Project
    "Protect the ones you love!"
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    NRA Member

8. #7 Re: Lcp 2 cleaning questions 
    A great many people use common breakfree CLP. Small amounts of modern, inexpensive gun oil are much better than large amounts. Generally you would disassemble (field strip) your unloaded pistol, and put a drop on the barrel and use fingers to rub it over the surface. Another drop on the inside of the slide where the barrel and chamber will rub, spread thinly. One more drop in each of the slide rail cuts, use your finger on the slide's pickup rail. A drop at the hammer catch in the frame, and on the take down pin. That's about it, though I encourage you to read the manual for what Ruger recommends.

Keep your magazines clean, but don't use oil to avoid contaminating ammo. You can run a dry patch up the mag tube to clean out fouling once in a while. I have sometimes used a little bit of renaissance wax on a cloth and wipe the inside and out of the mag tube. Not really necessary but picks up a lot of grime and protects the metal.

I keep a plain white cotton cloth soaked in CLP in a plastic bag. I used it for an exterior wipe down when done with cleaning my pistols, especially blued like the LCPs. The cloth should not be dripping - just enough for it to leave thin layer of oil on what you wipe down with it.
    unclenunzie

-------------------------------------------------
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!
    this space for rent

New User
    Thank you forbthe reply. I have had the gun for a few weeks but haven't had time shoot it or give its first cleaning will it hurt it if it sits as it is. Thanks

10. #9 Re: Lcp 2 cleaning questions 
    w
    I just use the synthetic oil I use in my vehicle. A little goes so far that essentially it's free. I refill a micro-tip oiler bottle that came with gun oil. Use very little. Less is more.

11. #10 Re: Lcp 2 cleaning questions 
    Welcome, @Welderman85! I always clean a new gun. You'd be surprised how much gunk is there when you take it out of the box!

That said, I've recently become a convert to EEZOX, which not only cleans, but protects and provides a measure of lubrication as well. I like to add a dab of Mil-Comm TW25B to the rails, since they seem to have the most friction applied during the shooting process.
    You can't call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads