CCI Clean-22

CCI Clean-22

This is a discussion on CCI Clean-22 within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Has anyone tried this new so-called Clean-22 45gr polymer coated ammo in an LCP 2 .22lr? The heavier grain weight and clean operation may have ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By wsitgm
  • 1 Post By Whiskeyshooter
  • 1 Post By SGW Gunsmith

Thread: CCI Clean-22

1. #1 CCI Clean-22 
    Has anyone tried this new so-called Clean-22 45gr polymer coated ammo in an LCP 2 .22lr? The heavier grain weight and clean operation may have great promise as a carry round.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    SGW Gunsmith likes this.

2. #2 Re: CCI Clean-22 
    Not yet! Due to the unrest and the pandemic shelves again are void of any ammo at any price. We have a very good supply but testing different ammo is on hold until they stop with the looting and social readjustment.
    *Some lady at the range said she was going to try this CCI Clean-22 45gr with a LCPII22LR and report on it. That was the first I heard of it. She knows her firearms so I will see what she comes up with. They have a group at the LGS that are seriously trying out the LCPII22LR for carry, SD and a trainer.
    Wounded Warrior Project
    "Protect the ones you love!"
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    NRA Member

3. #3 Re: CCI Clean-22 
    Quote Originally Posted by rclark28 View Post
    Not yet! Due to the unrest and the pandemic shelves again are void of any ammo at any price. We have a very good supply but testing different ammo is on hold until they stop with the looting and social readjustment.
    *Some lady at the range said she was going to try this CCI Clean-22 45gr with a LCPII22LR and report on it. That was the first I heard of it. She knows her firearms so I will see what she comes up with. They have a group at the LGS that are seriously trying out the LCPII22LR for carry, SD and a trainer.
    I already had a good supply of various 22.cal. However, I did not need a crystal ball to see that rimfire was going to be next in line to go bare and it is slowly is. For two months, I have been having shipments of 22.cal come in almost weekly. I am a member of Target sports and watch the prices daily. And have alerts set up for when a certain product is back in stock. I am buying as much as I can reasonably afford.
    It boggles my mind that on this forum and the popularity of the LCP and the amount of people that carry the gun that they are not jumping of the LCP22.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: CCI Clean-22 
    Hopefully discussions will pickup on these forums regarding the LCPII22LR. I was shocked when I tested mine. Still very reliable after 700 plus rounds. We are done testing ours and will start training with them. I love the one I have. Hands down a great way to train is with this 22LR from Ruger. Just fun too!
    *People are busy trying to make sense of the issues current in our nation.
    Wounded Warrior Project
    "Protect the ones you love!"
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    NRA Member

6. #5 Re: CCI Clean-22 
    Quote Originally Posted by wsitgm View Post
    Has anyone tried this new so-called Clean-22 45gr polymer coated ammo in an LCP 2 .22lr? The heavier grain weight and clean operation may have great promise as a carry round.

It is a low velocity or standard velocity ammo more for target shooting. I can see no reason to purchase for a small barrel gun that you are going to train defensive skills for. Of all the 22.cal ammo I certainly would not choose this round for defense if I were to do so. Not worth the cost for my needs.

7. #6 Re: CCI Clean-22 
    Quote Originally Posted by rclark28 View Post
    Hopefully discussions will pickup on these forums regarding the LCPII22LR. I was shocked when I tested mine. Still very reliable after 700 plus rounds. We are done testing ours and will start training with them. I love the one I have. Hands down a great way to train is with this 22LR from Ruger. Just fun too!
    *People are busy trying to make sense of the issues current in our nation.
    Yes, no interest here at all. Mine is due to arrive on Friday. I will take a month away from posting and get a few thousand rounds through the gun and check in again in August to see in there is any traction for this gun. Plan on testing as much ammo as possible and targets at various yards. See how well the Mcarbo spring does in comparison etc.

8. #7 Re: CCI Clean-22 
    In my view if your barrel does not lead foul with the ammo that you are using then there is no need to spend extra cash for the coated projectiles. I'm sure everyone has noticed most .22 ammo has a wax coating on the projectile to eliminate fouling so I'm calling semi gimmick on the new .22 rounds.

For pistol competition I only use polymer coated projectiles for two reasons. The first is health reasons. When I would sit and reload 1K rounds my fingers would be black from the pure lead projectiles. That can't be healthy! My hands stay clean with polymer coated. The second reason is lead fouling. After switching to coated projectiles my barrel fouling has been almost completely eliminated. Den
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

9. #8 Re: CCI Clean-22 
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny4kids View Post
    In my view if your barrel does not lead foul with the ammo that you are using then there is no need to spend extra cash for the coated projectiles. I'm sure everyone has noticed most .22 ammo has a wax coating on the projectile to eliminate fouling so I'm calling semi gimmick on the new .22 rounds.

For pistol competition I only use polymer coated projectiles for two reasons. The first is health reasons. When I would sit and reload 1K rounds my fingers would be black from the pure lead projectiles. That can't be healthy! My hands stay clean with polymer coated. The second reason is lead fouling. After switching to coated projectiles my barrel fouling has been almost completely eliminated. Den

I am not understanding your comment. You load a 1,000 rds for competition? How many do you load for training? What Pistol are you talking about? How many magazines are you loading? I do not see the new Polymer bullets as a gimmick, and given the same price as others would buy them. Just not paying more for the volume I use.

As far as the OP's question, he was talking in regards to "CARRY". And no, it would not be a good choice if a person were to carry a 22.cal. That said, for my Ruger LCR9m I do use the APX Plus P polycoated bullet.

PS there are many clean lead remover hand wipes available. I keep a supply in my range bags.
    Last edited by Whiskeyshooter; 07-02-2020 at 01:35 PM.
    SGW Gunsmith likes this.

10. #9 Re: CCI Clean-22 
    Quote Originally Posted by wsitgm View Post

Yes, I have, but not in an LCP 2, only in Ruger Mark pistols and a couple of 10/22's. Some might think these rounds are nothing but a "gimmick", but I won't be able to see that for myself unless I actually try 'em and see how they actually perform. Otherwise, as for me, I can't offer any opinion unless I shoot a bunch to find out. Guesswork ain't worth squat:

.22 rimfire is about the dirtiest round that I've found in a metallic cartridge. Even after a 100 rounds, stuff begins to build up in the action of a .22 rimfire, so, if I can stave off cleaning for a while longer, I sorta like that. And, I don't adhere to how some feel about cleaning a .22 rimfire bore after shooting, even two rounds. It's not that laborious of a job to use my weed whacker line to pull a solvent soaked felt cylinder through the bore, followed by a dry one. Takes less than 5 minutes, well spent:

So, from what I've seen so far concerning the "CLEAN" ammunition compared to other .22 rimfire ammunition, like CCI Blazer in .22 Long Rifle, the Clean variety is more clean shooting. The tiny bit of blue and red coloring in the bore is easily removed with the solvent I use, which also coats the bore to prevent excess fouling. But, before I feel I can develop a certain opinion concerning this new ammunition, I think I need to shoot a bunch of it first.

And NO, I don't think these rounds should be considered as an alternate to a centerfire round as an insurance policy to protect one's hide as a regular carry round. For personal protection, at minimum, I carry my LC9 Ruger.
    Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; 07-02-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    Whiskeyshooter likes this.
    " I really like this NEW .45. It certainly gets a lot more done than the old .44 ever did."

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads