Light Strikes in LCP II .22lr

Light Strikes in LCP II .22lr

This is a discussion on Light Strikes in LCP II .22lr within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Frustrating....is Ruger trying out for the General Motors of gun makers? Not reliable on delivery but hey! We'll fix it. With my 380 LCP II, ...

Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Light Strikes in LCP II .22lr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Light Strikes in LCP II .22lr 
    Frustrating....is Ruger trying out for the General Motors of gun makers? Not reliable on delivery but hey! We'll fix it.

With my 380 LCP II, I had to go through two iterations with Ruger to get it running right. And thankfully now it's running great.

The .22lr version had been working fine. Put it in a case, drove from FL to NV. Took it to a Vegas range right our of the case and it ran ok for a couple mags, then started light striking like mad. I was running CCI mimimags and velocitors as well as Aguila. I got light strikes on all of it. I just quit using it in frustration and went back to the 380 and my Security9. Upon examining the light strike rounds, they barely had any nick on the rims at all.

The gun was clean and maybe too well oiled.

I'll see what Ruger has to say. .22lr may not be the most robust cartridge, but in this case, the brands were top notch and the gun wimped out.

Security 9 has been a solid citizen after some startup stovepipes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2. #2 Re: Light Strikes in LCP II .22lr 
    Bummer you are having problems. So the weapon worked fine until you cleaned and messed with it. That's what I gathered from your post. And now you blame the weapon and want Ruger to tell you what you may have done wrong. This is from your words not mine.
    maybe next time spend the less than 5 min. it takes and flush out all the extra lube and function test the weapon again. Then you could maybe post a positive post instead of a woe is me post. Just think what the guy or gal at ruger will think when they ask you what you tried and you say nothing. Denny
    Last edited by Denny4kids; 05-07-2020 at 09:36 PM.
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

3. #3 Re: Light Strikes in LCP II .22lr 
    I found that both the range LCPII 22LR's had few if any lite strikes if any when I tested them. Both seem to run many brands of ammo and I decided to get one. Ordered last week and it is due here this week. Hopefully I will be able to field test and report soon on what I come up with. Outside of the two range guns I tested several times my neighbor has had hers since they came out so I asked about lite strikes and she reported very few using Mini Mags, CCI Blazer, Aquila and even SV CCI. Who knows what issue you have with lite strikes but keep me informed on the issue if you can with what you have tried. If you contact Ruger after continuing troubleshooting let us know what they come up with.
    Peace Favor Your Sword!
    Wounded Warrior Project
    "Protect the ones you love!"
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    NRA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Light Strikes in LCP II .22lr 
    Found the problem. I field stripped it, wiped it down, and I noticed the firing pin was sticking out of the strike surface in the slide. I grabbed the tip with tweezers and about 3 or 4 mm of the firing pin came out. Broken firing pin! Ruger sending the replacement parts.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    rclark28, Denny4kids and Bgoff689 like this.

6. #5 Re: Light Strikes in LCP II .22lr 
    Wow! Interesting to hear this again. I believe someone else here may have had similar issues. Anyway good for Ruger getting you a part in the mail. That pin did not last very long!
    Good luck. Thanks for the data...Peace Favor Your Sword...
    Wounded Warrior Project
    NRA Member

7. #6 Re: Light Strikes in LCP II .22lr 
    I told them I dry fire it a lot.....they said so what, that's why we make the firing PIN out of titanium.

I get free parts and learn how to change out a firing pin. Lesson applies to the 380 LCP II as well, where I have replaced an extractor a couple of times.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

8. #7 Re: Light Strikes in LCP II .22lr 
    I don't take the chance of the firing pin damaging the chamber when dry firing. I use drywall anchors, here is a video and the info is at about 1:25. Denny

Bgoff689 and rclark28 like this.
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

9. #8 Re: Light Strikes in LCP II .22lr 
    Got my parts from Ruger to replace the broken pin, the spring and the retainer pin.

As you can see below, the spring they sent was substantially longer, a notch bigger in diameter and much stiffer than the one I had in the gun as purchased.

You can also see the broken firing pin and the broken off tip and then it's replacement.

I did the replacement with the larger spring but boy that pin could barely move with the longer, bigger, stiffer spring. I would've needed a stronger hammer spring to get that to budge. I pulled the big spring and replaced it with the original spring and it returned to the feel I had know (pretty easy to depress the firing pin with a finger tip.)

Gonna call Ruger and give them a heads up about that incorrect spring. I believe it was an LCP 380 firing pin spring. While the part number for the firing pin clearly indicated it was for .22lr, the spring did not.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    GunnyBlue likes this.

10. #9 Re: Light Strikes in LCP II .22lr 
    @wsitgm - Good information. Thank you for following up!
    I'm planning on buying an LCP II .22LR this summer.
    If I experience light strikes, I'll know what to check first!

11. #10 Re: Light Strikes in LCP II .22lr 
    Thanks for the update and information. My new LCPII 22LR is on the bench and getting ready for the range for first testing. Good information and keep us updated.
    PEACE FAVOR YOUR SWORD!
    Wounded Warrior Project
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads