Taurus Tracker 44mag

This is a discussion on Taurus Tracker 44mag within the Wheel Guns forums, part of the Other Firearms category; Hey all, Been a while since I've posted, but as I know this community is more than willing to give honest opinions, I wanted to ...

Thread: Taurus Tracker 44mag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Taurus Tracker 44mag 
    Hey all,

Been a while since I've posted, but as I know this community is more than willing to give honest opinions, I wanted to ask yours about the Taurus Tracker in 44mag. I have wanted a big bore wheelgun for the past couple years, but haven't been able to afford one until now. It is for some casual plinking and trail carry, not CC (LCP plenty IMHO for that). I'm no novice to big bore, I'm confident I can handle the caliber, but as far as reliability/general experience, nothing is better than first hand. Any and all thoughts welcome,

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...rumbseries=CF2

2. #2 Re: Taurus Tracker 44mag 
    Funny you should mention that. My friends said I was in a "rut" on my small assortment so I just picked up the Taurus 608 (used at the last gun show), which is the 8 shot 357, with the 6 1/4" barrel. (It's funny to put it next to the LCP) My criteria was "big, shiny, make a really big boom." Haven't gotten to the range with it yet, but my logic was I could use the longer barrel with a scope at some point if I chose, plus I had more options for ammo (38 special or 357) that wouldn't necessarily be available for a .44, which has limited choices. Had a difficult time finding anything really negative about it on the web. Tracker is most comparable to this, so we should have fun discovering.

3. #3 Re: Taurus Tracker 44mag 

Have fun with the Judge, a friend of mine has one and swears by it. My personal preference is of course the Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Mag. with a 2 1/2 in barrel.

I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one in case trouble finds me.

4. #4 Re: Taurus Tracker 44mag 
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaKen
    My criteria was "big, shiny, make a really big boom." [...] Had a difficult time finding anything really negative about it on the web. Tracker is most comparable to this, so we should have fun discovering.
    As much as I don't like to admit it, it was a certain San Francisco cop that was idolized some time ago that made me want the 44 . I handled the 357 you are talking about in the store, and it just didn't cut it. If I were making a logical choice, the 357 is an excellent caliber with many choices (cheaper to boot), but alas I need more boom.

Got the tracker on order, should get in tomorrow, going to have fun this weekend with some buddies and some unlucky pumpkins.

5. #5 Re: Taurus Tracker 44mag 
    BHealy: Have fun with it. I have a S&W Performance Center 686 44mag with the 8 3/8 barrel and a Bushnell Holographic sight. Use it for deer hunting. Longest kill was 75 yards off shooting sticks. Nice gun and caliber.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! Benjamin Franklin

6. #6 Re: Taurus Tracker 44mag 
    I would like to hear more about your Tracker as I am not familiar with the Taurus line. The Judge has gotten my attention and they have some interesting guns out there I just have no personal experience with the brand.

7. #7 Re: Taurus Tracker 44mag 
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmc2001
    I would like to hear more about your Tracker as I am not familiar with the Taurus line. The Judge has gotten my attention and they have some interesting guns out there I just have no personal experience with the brand.
    Well I was hoping to hear other member's opinions before I commit and pay for the gun, but I will definitely give a mini-review after this weekend if I buy it.

Most if not all of the reviews I found on the web have been positive. The only caveat some people have is the porting. Personally I am looking forward to it, as getting back on target with big bore guns has been an issue for me personally. And since I am getting the 4" barrel, there isn't a ton of weight keeping that barrel down.

8. #8 Re: Taurus Tracker 44mag 
    Quote Originally Posted by BHealy

. If I were making a logical choice, the 357 is an excellent caliber with many choices (cheaper to boot), but alas I need more boom.
    Well, I tend to have to manipulate "logic" to convince myself I need yet another toy that goes boom. So far, it seems to be working!! LOL!! I figured I needed to work my way up to the .44 in baby steps, so I am anxious to hear how the Tracker does. I handled one in the gun show as well, and surmised it MIGHT be my next addition to the collection. PLEASE do share a range report: I can use that in my next logical argument with myself.

9. #9 Re: Taurus Tracker 44mag 
    I've had the Tracker in .41 mag (Model 425), for several years. I got the 4" stainless version (at the time a lightweight titanium model was available), because I figured the extra weight would help moderate recoil. Loaded w/5 250 gr. rounds it weights 39 1/2 ounces. Carries nicely in an Uncle Mike's No. 2 Mirage. Excellent sights, if a mite large. Controllable but with my hiking load (250 gr./1360 fps) it lets you know you've touched it off. With 210 gr. loads at 1000 or so it's just plain pleasant to shoot. I'd have to guess the .44 would be similar. Don't know if you'll run into cylinder length issues with the heavier .44 bullets. I'm pretty sure a 300 gr. load at 1200-1300 fps would stop being fun real quick from a revolver this size & weight! If you've got big hands you might find the Ribber grip a little small. It works fine for me. Probably the best grip I've ever used from a utility standpoint. It adjusts to the grip of whoever wraps their hand around it. But aftermarket grips for this gun aren't exactly plentiful. All in all I've been well impressed with the piece. Makes a good trail gun in bear country. Usable hunting revolver for medium size game at reasonable ranges. And it's certainly usable for home defense or CC. It's pretty much of a size with a S&W K frame. In .41 there aren't alot of choices for defense loads. .44 mag. is probably better in that regard. Taurus is a little spotty on quality control but I haven't heard of too many issues with this particular line. The gun is ported, so you have to keep that in mind from a safety standpoint. Hope you enjoy it!

T
    There ain't many problems a man can't fix with 700 dollars and a .30-06.

10. #10 Re: Taurus Tracker 44mag 
    jwardiii, thanks that is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for. Would you care to elaborate on the safety issue on ported revolvers though? I've seen some say that the exhaust gases(etc) can hit you, and others say it is hooey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads