Wanted: A Uberti or Pietta Replica of a Colt Paterson

This is a discussion on Wanted: A Uberti or Pietta Replica of a Colt Paterson within the Wheel Guns forums, part of the Other Firearms category; I looking for a Black Powder Replica of the first revolver that Sam Colt put on the market. They have been produced by Uverti or ...

Thread: Wanted: A Uberti or Pietta Replica of a Colt Paterson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Wanted: A Uberti or Pietta Replica of a Colt Paterson 

I looking for a Black Powder Replica of the first revolver that Sam Colt put on the market. They have been produced by Uverti or Pietta in the past and hard to come by. Pm me if you can locate one and we can work something out. The puppies are hard to find that's why I'm asking.

Thanks.
    I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

2. #2 Re: Wanted: A Uberti or Pietta Replica of a Colt Paterson 
    ....geez, Bgoff, they are really in demand. I looked around out of curiosity...and it appears everyone else is looking too. The only one I found was here...and in SC down near Charleston:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=185399403

...seems like a hefty price compared to what I saw in the closed auctions, but I know nothing about these BP wheel guns.

Tarheel

3. #3 Re: Wanted: A Uberti or Pietta Replica of a Colt Paterson 

She's a rare bird.

A fellow called me a while back making inquiries for a friend who had the Paterson, a Walker and another Colt replica.They were going to take them to a friend of theirs who runs a Gun Shop to sell.

So it looks like that's the Paterson and the Walker being listed. Can't say much about that asking price, but it'll be interesting to see if he gets the $500. starting price. The FFL is only needed for shipping if it were going to NY City, Chicago or someplaces in Kalifornia. With 2 days left it will be interesting to see how it's going go at the end, that's when the "serious" bidding usually starts.

I would like to have one but... that price is a bit above my range. But right now it's what ever the market will stand. I've seen Ruger Old Army Revolvers go for $700-900.00. I'm not cheap, but I'm not easy either. So I guess I'll keep looking. Thanks for posting the link.
    I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

4. #4 Re: Wanted: A Uberti or Pietta Replica of a Colt Paterson 
    I've been kicking myself for over 40 years for passing on what appeared to be an original Texas Paterson in pretty decent condition at a shop in Monterrey, Mexico. The guy wanted $500 US, but I was just a little leery - and had never examined one before to know if it was a fake. In retrospect I believe it was a genuine original, as it had the shorter bbl just like this one (in fact it looked exactly like that one):

5. #5 Re: Wanted: A Uberti or Pietta Replica of a Colt Paterson 
    The one that got away?? I shot a few of these BP Revolvers back in the 80's. I should have bought a couple back then, when they were really cheap.

More than 40 years ago your instincts were probably correct.... it was more than likely a fake. Sort of like the Rolex Watch deal a friend of mine got in Mexico.

Here are two 1861 Colt Navy Revolvers. The top is the real one. With some artificial aging who knows?

This is a Replica of a 1847 Colt Walker. The guy in England "made" 3 of them, from pictures. He numbered them all as 1011. It's not likely he had a home factory. More than likely he just removed the Italian markings. I saw a Colt Walker offered on Gun Broker for sale recently. Care to guess what the number was? It wasn't one of the English Trio (I don't think..), but that was quite a coincidence.

6. #6 Re: Wanted: A Uberti or Pietta Replica of a Colt Paterson 

I'm in the process of closing a deal in Connecticut on a Pietta Replica of a Texas Colt Paterson. She has a 9" barrel and is a .36 caliber. Great price. She'll be an excellent addition to my BP Collection which goes along the time line in the development of revolvers and pistols from the singleshot muzzle loading pistols to cylinder revolvers.

This is a replica of one of the first models. The loading lever was not attached, as in later models.

The trigger was tucked up, under neath and did not fall down until the weapon was cocked. They were a complicated design, with the inner leaf springs, a axis pin with deep wedges and a barrel wedge making it more like a watch than a weapon.

Colt started production of the Paterson in 1836 and went bankrupt a few years later. In 1847 he started producing the Colt Walker, followed by the Dragoons, and then Army and Navy Revolvers.

I'd love to have an "Original" but a good one is going for a mere $300,000. plus so I guess I'll settle for the replica.

7. #7 Re: Wanted: A Uberti or Pietta Replica of a Colt Paterson 
    Thanks for the pictures gentlemen. Those are some real purdy shootin irons and would sure make any collector's barrel smoke just a little. I have been out of the wheel black powder business for several years now. I am beginning to miss the mess that it black powder revolvers represent.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 of my neighbors than carried by 6 of my dearest friends. Be prepared!

8. #8 Re: Wanted: A Uberti or Pietta Replica of a Colt Paterson 
    Quote Originally Posted by brudaddy
    Thanks for the pictures gentlemen. Those are some real purdy shootin irons and would sure make any collector's barrel smoke just a little. I have been out of the wheel black powder business for several years now. I am beginning to miss the mess that it black powder revolvers represent.

Here's a pair of Ruger Old Army .45s that might just jog your memory a bit more. Even Old Bill Ruger couldn't resist the urge to blow a little Black Powder ever now and then.

9. #9 Re: Wanted: A Uberti or Pietta Replica of a Colt Paterson 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgoff689
    Quote Originally Posted by brudaddy

Here's a pair of Ruger Old Army .45s that might just jog your memory a bit more. Even Old Bill Ruger couldn't resist the urge to blow a little Black Powder ever now and then.
    The blue version on top was my last BP revolver. She was a beauty but 3 kids and college tuition sorta caused us to part ways.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 of my neighbors than carried by 6 of my dearest friends. Be prepared!

10. #10 Re: Wanted: A Uberti or Pietta Replica of a Colt Paterson 

Understand about the kids and college. Been there done that. Mine are all growed up and raising their own now. So I'm spending their inheritance money. Check in at Cabelas they have some great deals that could get you back in the game. Pietta has come a long way since their "junk" days and making some good stuff. Of course the ROAs are still top of the line, they're not historic 17th Century type replicas but do have their place in modern black powder shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads