Uberti Black Powder Replica Colt 1851 Navy .36 Cal.

This is a discussion on Uberti Black Powder Replica Colt 1851 Navy .36 Cal. within the Wheel Guns forums, part of the Other Firearms category; It's all good.. I like to throw one of these type posts on here ever now and then about dealing with some replicas of the ...

Thread: Uberti Black Powder Replica Colt 1851 Navy .36 Cal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Uberti Black Powder Replica Colt 1851 Navy .36 Cal. 
    It's all good.. I like to throw one of these type posts on here ever now and then about dealing with some replicas of the "Original Wheel Guns". There is a bit more to just buying a Black Powder Revolver and shooting it. Acquiring all the "accouterments" is an interesting process.

I picked up a Uberti Replica of a Colt 1851 Navy Revolver, .36 Cal, Black Powder. It's the lower weapon. The one above it is a Uberti 1871 Richards-Mason conversion of an 1851 Colt Navy Revolver, it fires a .38 Special Cartridge. I usually run a Remington 130 grain round, with a muzzle velocity of 790 fps. A fun gun to shoot.

The first thing one does upon getting a new weapon is of course read the owners, disassemble the weapon and clean out the factory grease.

Having read David R. Chicoine's book "Antique Firearms Assembly /Disassembly I took her down to the level shown above. Having taken the 1871 Replica apart gave me some good experience. Not forgetting to mention there are some great Black Powder Forums out there with plenty of information.

One of the things I have learned is to take some pictures and make some notes because getting it all back together is a bit more complicated than the "Reverse the instructions to reassemble" notations. Ayway I got it all back inside and it's working.
    I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

2. #2 Re: Uberti Black Powder Replica Colt 1851 Navy .36 Cal. 
    Great hobby...........have fun.......Thanks for the photos......
    Life is to short to shoot ugly guns....May Glocks live forever....

3. #3 Re: Uberti Black Powder Replica Colt 1851 Navy .36 Cal. 
    Thanks for posting..... enjoy getting to share just a little bit of you hobby with you.

4. #4 Re: Uberti Black Powder Replica Colt 1851 Navy .36 Cal. 

My next project is to disassemble and of course reassemble a recently acquired Uberti Replica of a 1847 Colt Walker. She is a real beast type 44 Cal, one of the original Horse Pistols. She is a real hand full. When Capt. Walker of the Texas Rangers and Sam Colt designed this thing they were not fooling around. Walker wanted a weapon that would stop a man or a horse. It was carried in holsters attached to the saddles. If you have ever seen "The Outlaw Josey Wells" or any of the "Lonesome Dove" Movies she's a familiar sight.

The original versions had thin cylinder walls and were subject to chain firing and explosions. But when you were facing an attack from a Comanche who could fire 5-6 arrows a minute, an upgrade to a 6 shot cylinder revolver from a single shot muzzle loader might not seem like a bad idea.
    I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

5. #5 Re: Uberti Black Powder Replica Colt 1851 Navy .36 Cal. 
    ....now, that IS nice, Bg. Love the lines and history behind that pistol. Seems like it was the turning point is SD in those days....and packed a wallop to boot. Thx for all the pics and narratives. Your collection is to be envied...as well as your gunsmithing skills.

Tarheel

6. #6 Re: Uberti Black Powder Replica Colt 1851 Navy .36 Cal. 

Thanks for the comments. Here is a copy of the Original Owner's Manual or Instructions that Sam Colt's Company sent to civilians who bought one of his new revolvers.

Actually I have found that they are more helpful than some of the Owner Instructions given to people today who buy the replicas. Especially on reassembly instructions.

7. #7 Re: Uberti Black Powder Replica Colt 1851 Navy .36 Cal. 
    Have you shot any 38 special cartridges yet....
    Life is to short to shoot ugly guns....May Glocks live forever....

8. #8 Re: Uberti Black Powder Replica Colt 1851 Navy .36 Cal. 
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIGGER_1
    Have you shot any 38 special cartridges yet....

I ran a box of Remington UMC 38 Special 130 Grain, with a mere 790 f.p.s. Muzzle Velocity through the Uberti 1871 Richards-Mason Conversion of a 1851 Navy Revolver. After putting 50 rounds of .44 Rem Mag, 240 grain SPs through the Alaskan it was easy. The .38 is really an accurate shooter despite the rear sight being a notch on the top of the hammer. Using a loading gate to insert individual rounds versus the modern day swing out cylinder takes some getting used to.

Tomorrow evening I'm making it to a meeting of the Outdoor Range Membership to submit an application so I can take the Black Powder pistols/revolvers out for an little action. I've fired a few before but never owned any and it's a bit more complicated than buying a modern weapon, getting a box of shells and finding some where to shoot.

It's been loads of fun learning how to disassemble and reassemble these old gals.

The Mendi Replica has been interesting in that so little information is available concerning her since the company went out of business "years ago". She is a rare bird in that she is a .36 cal versus a 50 cal. So I had to get a new caliper and do a lot of measuring and determine what size of .36 cal ball to use, powder load and patch or wad to use. Fortunately there are a lot of Black Powder enthuasists out there in Forum Land who don't mind sharing some of their experience and knowledge. Just like this forum. Some of these guys have been at Black Powder shooting for decades. It's something new for me but I'm a fast learner.

Rounding up all the essentials to get started, with all the loading tools, cleaning equipment, powder, lead balls and all that before even getting to fire a single shot has been interesting.

I'll give you a range report on the BP Shooting, if and when I manage to get into the range.

9. #9 Re: Uberti Black Powder Replica Colt 1851 Navy .36 Cal. 
    ...well, Bg, I think it can be safely stated that you take this hobby seriously. I enjoy lookin' at your antique stash, rather authentic or replica. They are all beauties. I'm beginning to get the urge to own at least one of those revolvers...not good .

Tarheel

10. #10 Re: Uberti Black Powder Replica Colt 1851 Navy .36 Cal. 
    Tarhell

I know about those urges. I've spent a few bucks getting it all together. Most people start out with just one but I kinda fell into three of them around the same time. But what the heck?

I spent months doing a lot of reading and research before I decided to get into it. The Spanish Lady is not going to get a lot of range time. She's more of a Safe Queen or Mantle piece type, too old and not easy to find replacement parts. But I just gotta run a few through for the heck of it.

The Walker and the Navy Colt on the other hand are commonly sold and I have already purchased the replacement parts that I identified during disassembly and research that are subject to common know problems. They have of course been manufactured within the last 10 years or so and are a lot better made than the originals were, with better metal and machined technology. But the design and specifications are still circa 1847 or later which is part of the kick.

Here is a picture on a Colt Walker, 44 Cal doing a flame on. Not for the faint of heart types. Smokeless Black Powder didn't exist in 1847. You Tube has video of people loading and shooting the gun and it's a hoot to watch.

Colt Walkers have an interesting history. This is a $500. Replica.

This one, an 1847 original, has a Million Dollar price tag on it. Not something one would casually disassemble or take to a firing range.

Yep. I'm serious about it. Of course the Ruger LCP and/or a few other Modern Day weapons get to go along for the ride. Just in case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads