SP101 problem

This is a discussion on SP101 problem within the Wheel Guns forums, part of the Other Firearms category; I was just at the range and put 100 rounds of .38 Special and .357 through my new SP101. All ammo was Blazer which I've ...

Thread: SP101 problem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 SP101 problem 
    I was just at the range and put 100 rounds of .38 Special and .357 through my new SP101. All ammo was Blazer which I've always found to be reliable.

After about 75 rounds, I found it very difficult to open the cylinder to remove the spent shells. At one point it completely froze and would not let me open it at all. The gun was pretty warm when this happened. I let the gun cool for a few minutes and was then able to open it.

I've never had this happen with a wheel gun before and was wondering if there's something wrong with the gun or the ammo. I've had guns get hot from firing before but have never had one lock up like this.

Has anyone seen similar issues with wheel guns in general or the SP101 specifically?

2. #2 Re: SP101 problem 
    *Klutch*
    I've had one for about 9 months now and have never had any problems other than the .357 reloads i made sticking in the cylinder. Possibly something wrong with it but it could just need to break in. Try shooting 100 rounds of different ammo, if the problem persists call Ruger they will take care of it.

3. #3 Re: SP101 problem 
    I have had mine for a couple of years now. I had the same problem the first time I took mine to the range. I took it home and cleaned it again and shot it some more an it started to loosen up. I also put a small drop of oil on the cylinder shaft. It also would not to hurt to get some snap caps and dry fire it. If it still locks up also look to see if your primers are backing out sometimes that will happen and lock the cylinder. If all else fails call ruger they will make it right.

4. #4 Re: SP101 problem 
    Good thread! Just bought my wife a SP101 in .357 but have not shot it. Look forward to hearing a resolution. I hope your situation is like 99% of the others.. Shoot the hell out of it - it will loosen up.

BTW, they are built like tanks and come with an extremely high favorable rating.

Keep us posted.. Especially me

C r a i g

5. #5 Re: SP101 problem 
    Two things may be happening you may be getting a powder build up in the cylinder from the .38 shells which are shorter than the .357's which may not allow the 357's to seat fully. Are the 357 shells hard to extract? Also you my be getting a powder build up on the front of the cylinder which is causing it to hang up on the barrel. Pull your cylinder out as per your owners manual and take some 00 steel wool and gently clean all the powder fouling off the front of the cylinder back and back of the barrel. Hope this helps also clean all the gunk out of the cylinder from both bullets when you look through it you will see two distinct rings of powder residue from the 38's and 357's

6. #6 Re: SP101 problem 
    I actually think it's heat related. Once I got the cylinder to open fully, the shells extracted normally. It was almost like either the cylinder or shell casings expanded due to the heat from shooting it. As I mentioned, once the gun cooled off a bit, everything worked normally.

I've got it cleaned and oiled and ready for my next test. It should be next week. I'll keep you all posted.

7. #7 Re: SP101 problem 
    I sent my back to the factory for a refund. the gun is manufactured wrong and they know it it. They will glady refund the money. there is no upgrade in the works to fix it either.

Jim
    "ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell !"

8. #8 Re: SP101 problem 
    let us know how it goes im very interested in what it is.

9. #9 Re: SP101 problem 
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Good thread! Just bought my wife a SP101 in .357 but have not shot it. Look forward to hearing a resolution. I hope your situation is like 99% of the others.. Shoot the hell out of it - it will loosen up.

BTW, they are built like tanks and come with an extremely high favorable rating.

Keep us posted.. Especially me

C r a i g

Your wife will love it!. It's a really nice gun aside from this jamming issue (which I hope to correct). I bought this one for my wife for home protection. She had never even fired a handgun before but was hitting bulleyes at 25 feet after a couple of rounds. Must be the instructor

You may want to check out the Hogue grips for it. We replaced the stock grips with Hogue grips and we both think it handles much better.

10. #10 Re: SP101 problem 
    OK, took it out again and ran another 200 rounds of .38 and .357 through it with no problems. Used different ammo for the first hundred and then switched back to the Blazer brand for the second hundred. No problems with any of it.

Must have been a fluke last time.

I REALLY like this gun!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads