Becoming a CONVERT? Now as hard as you might think

Becoming a CONVERT? Now as hard as you might think

This is a discussion on Becoming a CONVERT? Now as hard as you might think within the Training & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the General Category category; Ok, many folks are now converting those Striker Fired guns and or Light triggers ex. LCP ll, Glocks etc. for the safer Double Action Pistols,or ...

Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Becoming a CONVERT? Now as hard as you might think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Becoming a CONVERT? Now as hard as you might think 
    Ok, many folks are now converting those Striker Fired guns and or Light triggers ex. LCP ll, Glocks etc. for the safer Double Action Pistols,or even moving to revolvers. Yes I am one of those converts and the decision to do this has already given me a lost of peace of mind. Here is a short example of a traing video for us converts.
    PS I have a Bersa Thunder that will aid me in getting back to these actions.

RICHGCOOP, bld522 and Elsie9er like this.

2. #2 Re: Becoming a CONVERT? Now as hard as you might think 
    I guess you could say I was a convert from the very beginning. SA triggers only appealed to me at the range. They're fun to shoot and usually very accurate without a whole lot of practice. But from a carry standpoint they scared me to death. And they still do.
    Elsie9er likes this.
    A man's got to know his gun's limitations!

10/22 Muzzlelite Stock Bullpup (Range Fun)
    Beretta Bobcat, .22 Rimfire (Plinker)
    LCP Gen. 2 (Light Duty, DAO Concealed Carry)
    SR-101 .38+P (OWB, Now We're Getting Serious)
    Remington 870 Wingmaster, 12 Gauge (Home Defense, Extremely Serious)

3. #3 Re: Becoming a CONVERT? Now as hard as you might think 
    Thanks, pass.

Not that I don't appreciate revolvers, but I get the distinct impression you like to push this concept. And that's certainly your right.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Becoming a CONVERT? Now as hard as you might think 
    Yep. Dave's a safety pusher, all right. That's one of his most appealing qualities as far as I'm concerned.

6. #5 Re: Becoming a CONVERT? Now as hard as you might think 
    I've had every trigger type known, at least in terms of modern firearms, and I prefer a single-action the most, and that is followed by a good striker-fired action. I must say that double-action just holds no appeal to me at all.

I have always held that my mind and trigger finger are my most indispensable safeties, so just adding weight, L.O.P and complexity to the trigger mechanism does nothing more than hinder the best possible shot... At the range or otherwise.

Having said that... Good video and one that could help those who do carry a double action only or DA pistol.
    "...shall not be infringed." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states).

7. #6 Re: Becoming a CONVERT? Now as hard as you might think 
    A striker fired gun especially with no safety and/or a light trigger scares me in many ways. Can you really NOT inadvertently place your finger are the trigger when frightened or threatened? Does the human body have a "Flinching" reaction when something severe is going to happen? Does your body just naturally tighten up? Would it be conceivable that in a fast dangerous moment, that your finger on a light, crisp trigger and your body's natural mechanism of tightening, be just enough to let loose a round? Think about it, have you ever tensed up?
    Quickly drawing that firearm, scared to death for your life, and a light trigger. Seriously, you really trust yourself that much? I wish I had that much confidence in myself. Heck, have seen people at the range aiming at the target and the gun surprisingly go off. In fact I think I have done this with light triggers.

I also have trained with double actions and yes, in my opinion it is nothing more than just training. Train often and you should have no problem. I kept hearing this internet stuff and from fellow range shooters that a snub nose revolve was hard to shoot and just not accurate. Well they are wrong. They are accurate and hard to shoot, only means to me, that they are saying "I just don't feel like training to shoot one". Ok, all this did was make me want one all the more. And guess what, I am slowly mastering that gun and enjoying it all along the way. The gun can be very fast and can be very deadly with the right training.
    And guess what again? You actually really start to enjoy the trigger. It slowly starts to become a part of you.
    Last edited by davevabch; 03-20-2017 at 04:04 PM.

8. #7 Re: Becoming a CONVERT? Now as hard as you might think 
    I don't think talking common sense is going to do any good, Dave. Some people are just dead set on running what others would consider to be an unconscionable risk . . . not only to themselves but to others. They have every right to do that, of course. But in my view, right behind personal safety comes personal responsibility. Even if I truly believed that my gun handling skills were infallible, I'd owe it to my fellow man not to bury them with my arrogance. Carrying and more importantly, wielding a firearm in self-defense is a MASSIVE responsibility best carried out by those with some humility and respect for what that responsibility entails.
    davevabch likes this.

9. #8 Re: Becoming a CONVERT? Now as hard as you might think 
    Well, Bruce you may be right. But there are others out there that do want to convert! I ask, that a main thread be started to Converts. Is that too much too ask? Why not let us Converters have some space? How about it Skip? In the name of safety.

Oh by the way, this pellet gun is going to get a whole lot of training time this summer. A single/double action. The double action is strong, just what I need and the gun is top of the line quality. I will, train and I will succeed. It is all in the mind. Make training a habit, just like brushing your teeth. It pays off.

Walther CP 88 (Get ready to saddle up Baby, you are going to get some serious workouts this summer)

Or the Dan Wesson

10. #9 Re: Becoming a CONVERT? Now as hard as you might think 
    That Umarex Walther CP88 looks like a lot of fun to me!!!
    davevabch likes this.

11. #10 Re: Becoming a CONVERT? Now as hard as you might think 
    Using the finger, and the dangers of giving the finger.

Is your finger really that good? Can you improve your finger for shooting? Can you make it more precise? HOW DO FINGERS RESPOND UNDER STRESS? NOTE: FIGHT OR FLIGHT, THE DANGERS OF A LIGHT TRIGGER.

Each time we press the trigger on a handgun, the bottom four fingers tense and grip slightly. Frequently this results in a downward and inboard movement of the gun. For instance, shooting right-handed, my right hand flexes and the gun wants to point slightly left and down. As you deal with stress this is amplified by the fight or flight response. The fingers move clumsily and contribute to moving the sights off target

Improving your trigger control one finger at a time - Aegis Academy -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads