Ruger Pistol Forums banner

Becoming a CONVERT? Now as hard as you might think

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  bld522 
#1 · (Edited)
message deleted

#2 ·
I guess you could say I was a convert from the very beginning. SA triggers only appealed to me at the range. They're fun to shoot and usually very accurate without a whole lot of practice. But from a carry standpoint they scared me to death. And they still do.

#5 ·
I've had every trigger type known, at least in terms of modern firearms, and I prefer a single-action the most, and that is followed by a good striker-fired action. I must say that double-action just holds no appeal to me at all.

I have always held that my mind and trigger finger are my most indispensable safeties, so just adding weight, L.O.P and complexity to the trigger mechanism does nothing more than hinder the best possible shot... At the range or otherwise.

Having said that... Good video and one that could help those who do carry a double action only or DA pistol.

#6 ·
I don't think talking common sense is going to do any good, Dave. Some people are just dead set on running what others would consider to be an unconscionable risk . . . not only to themselves but to others. They have every right to do that, of course. But in my view, right behind personal safety comes personal responsibility. Even if I truly believed that my gun handling skills were infallible, I'd owe it to my fellow man not to bury them with my arrogance. Carrying and more importantly, wielding a firearm in self-defense is a MASSIVE responsibility best carried out by those with some humility and respect for what that responsibility entails.

#8 · (Edited)
I found the predecessor to the video you posted from Lucky Gunner: https://youtu.be/daSYE1PughE

It's worth watching as he explains the history of the rise and fall of the double-action pistol.

In the final analysis, the argument really comes down to shootability versus safety. It doesn't take much to catch the shootability bug. Most folks including myself catch it the first time they fire a SA or striker-fired pistol. But safety is and has always been a hard sell. That's why, when I used to work in the Aerospace Industry, they would stretch massive banners from one side of an aircraft hangar to the other with the words "SAFETY FIRST" imprinted on them in big, red letters and give awards to departments with the best safety records. Interestingly, as Lucky Gunner pointed out, DAO and DA/SA pistols are experiencing something of a resurgence. If anything is responsible for that, it has to be the DAO Ruger LCP with 1.5M units sold since 2008. But I have to believe the writing was on the wall for that pistol the day it was introduced. It was inevitable that Ruger would release a SA version of that pistol for the majority of folks who worship at the altar of shootability and have been led down the primrose path of believing that their ability to handle firearms safely is infallible.

After researching the Glock-style trigger lever safety (AKA blade safety) pretty thoroughly, I have come to the conclusion that it's primarily for show. As opposed to a manual safety, it doesn't actually DO anything to make guns equipped with them safer to handle. It's there so that consumers who require that their pistols contain a "safety" can be shown that if somebody blows on the trigger, the gun won't fire. Heaven help them if they (or anything else for that matter) come into physical contact with the trigger, however.

From everything I can gather, I honestly don't think that a gun whose only safety is a trigger lever safety is any safer than a gun that contains no safety at all. And I wouldn't be surprised if ADs with guns equipped with trigger lever safeties are far more common than people realize. It's just that those who experience ADs with them are too embarrassed to report it.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
Why do you think grip safeties never became more popular? I never tried one but it seems to me it would work well.

I did hear of a bad AD where a guy was stuffing his 1911 in his pants appendix position and lets just say he won't be having kids again.

#12 ·
Why do you think grip safeties never became more popular? I never tried one but it seems to me it would work well.
Murphy's law. Any device that can fail will fail. But I agree that a grip safety would be preferable to a trigger lever safety from the standpoint of preventing ADs. At least the grip safety actually IS a safety. Unlike a trigger lever safety, if the grip safety is not depressed, the gun won't fire if the trigger is pulled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.