Some uncomfortable questions for those who carry a weapon

Some uncomfortable questions for those who carry a weapon

This is a discussion on Some uncomfortable questions for those who carry a weapon within the Training & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the General Category category; 1- With your current carry setup, can you draw your weapon to defend yourself and others to your satisfaction? (This will take some serious live ...

Thread: Some uncomfortable questions for those who carry a weapon

1. #1 Some uncomfortable questions for those who carry a weapon 
    1- With your current carry setup, can you draw your weapon to defend yourself and others to your satisfaction? (This will take some serious live fire practice to give an honest answer) I had to throw some kit in the trash.

2- Can you keep your eyes on the target/targets, shoot a whole magazine, reload and clear an occasional miss-fire without loosing focus? (Can you operate your firearm without thinking about it?)

3-Have you ever tested your shooting ability and decision making while inoculated with stress? (I'm talking about trembling hands, shaky knees, and all the rest)

There are 10 more questions that come to mind and I believe these first three are very important if we carry a weapon.
    I have my holster draw figured out for all 4 seasons, pocket draw is pretty good. I still take my eyes off target but only 5% of the time and weapon operation takes minimal thought. Shooting under pressure is the norm and not a terrifying "this is it" experience anymore.

Let me be the first one to jump up and shout that competition shooting has nothing to do with a real gunfight! Its a game and mistakes won't get you killed! I have been told that surviving a gunfight is 90% luck and 10% skill so my 10% must continue to be a work in progress.

I double dare you to find and shoot an IDPA match. This competition is designed for people that carry a concealed weapon. Safety and the use of cover are very important. And the fun is hard to explain. If your current practice/training is not enough for you, IDPA might be something to try. Most local club first matches are free. Mine are $8 a match. Denny

2. #2 Re: Some uncomfortable questions for those who carry a weapon 
    Some good food for thought there Denny! I've always said practice, practice, practice! Practice until it turns to muscle memory! IDPA match shooting is definitely on my bucket list if things to do! Thanks for you input!
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

3. #3 Re: Some uncomfortable questions for those who carry a weapon 
    Have to admitt I haven't accomplish all of this. But is is certainly something to work toward. Thanks for the questions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Some uncomfortable questions for those who carry a weapon 
    Yes
    Yes
    No
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

6. #5 Re: Some uncomfortable questions for those who carry a weapon 
    JD
    Short of getting into a gun fight I've done/am doing about everything I can to better my chances of success should I end up in bad situation.

IDPA is good as it presents different challenges and tests skills a lot better than static shooting but it has it's limits and drawbacks.

This is after all "The LCP Forum" and .380s are not allowed in IDPA save for the occasional BUG match.

If you get too caught up in the game it can have it's negatives. For those that shoot it using their carry guns and gear I salute you! There aren't enough out there.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to work on more IDPA stages for our 2013 season.

7. #6 Re: Some uncomfortable questions for those who carry a weapon 
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny4kids View Post
    1- With your current carry setup, can you draw your weapon to defend yourself and others to your satisfaction? (This will take some serious live fire practice to give an honest answer) I had to throw some kit in the trash.
    I've been carrying with my setup for many years now, and have practiced with every gun I own ad nauseam. That said, I can draw whatever weapon I carry no matter what the setup is. Of course, I'm a strong side hip kind of guy, and carry every weapon in that same position. I have also performed this drill with cloths over the weapon as well as the weapon fully exposed. It hasn't always been easy to get to where I am now. There are some holster options that I thought were good at the time, but never worked out for daily carry as well as SD style shooting.

2- Can you keep your eyes on the target/targets, shoot a whole magazine, reload and clear an occasional miss-fire without loosing focus? (Can you operate your firearm without thinking about it?)
    Yes. This comes back to the BSA style shooting I do primarily. I also handle my guns in a marshall manner at the range. That means I don't pick mags up off a table or pocket them. It means I train like it's real life. We never rise to the occasion. We fall back on the training we have mastered.

3-Have you ever tested your shooting ability and decision making while inoculated with stress? (I'm talking about trembling hands, shaky knees, and all the rest)
    One of the reasons we do our annual Winter Shootout is just for that. We also train with multiple targets and someone calling a number of which target to shoot. We also run-n-gun, which induces a ton of stress. We've also done kill/no kill drills where you have to identify the target before wasting it. If you kill a little girl, you put 1 dollar into the swear jar. It ain't perfect, but it's what we have, given our limited budgets and access to training facilities.
    -James
    My Blog Gear Reviews, Gun Rights Issues, Emergency Preparedness
    Now on Facebook

8. #7 Re: Some uncomfortable questions for those who carry a weapon 
    I really like this discussion! We both can do #1, #2 fairly well, but need more practice, #3 only experience I have is with hunting (ex. buck fever) and not sure about my wife's level of composure without her being in an actual situation.

My wife and I try and shoot at least a couple times a month. I wish it were more, but the current ammo situation proves to be a hindrance. Today we fired a few rounds on some new pistols I recently purchased despite the weather being sunny and in the mid twenties with 12-15 mph winds. My wife commented on how cold her fingers were after a few rounds and that it was hard for her to shoot. I reminded her that we needed to be proficient regardless of the weather. We both are learning as we go and getting more comfortable with each pistol we own each time we practice.

Our CWP instructor is a local LEO and has been trying to gather enough folks to do a tactical shooting class. We told him we were in when he sets a date.

9. #8 Re: Some uncomfortable questions for those who carry a weapon 
    When the weather permits I shoot outdoors, since we're having a winter storm it's airsoft today with my G26

I try to ride about 20 minutes on the stationary to get my heart rate up a bit, then head to the range and practice my draw technique.

I suck following the rules at IDPA, but I end up about middle of the pack after all the penalties.

10. #9 Re: Some uncomfortable questions for those who carry a weapon 
    A new Business just opened up close to me called Dual Action Tactics and they offer different types of tactical shooting classes. They said I will need 500 rounds, ouch with tax $200.00 for 500 rounds of 9mm plus the $80.00 for the class but I still want to do it. Maybe when income tax comes in, it will take several trips to different GS to get that many rounds. I talked to them and told them about my SR9c and my SR22PB they said since ammo is so high bring them both and split it up that they can work with me on that. I sure hope they can make it through this ammo crises. They seem like really good people. Like most people, for me #3 is an unknown, train, train, train.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

11. #10 Re: Some uncomfortable questions for those who carry a weapon 
    The 500 rounds are required here too. That's the biggest deterrent for us right now. I'd have to have 1000 for us to both take it. Seeing as how the price of ammo is close to double regular prices right now, I think we're going to wait.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads