SR22 Range Report

SR22 Range Report

This is a discussion on SR22 Range Report within the SR Discussion forums, part of the SR category; Picked up my SR22/threaded barrel last week at my LGS. Took three days for them to get it in after ordering. First thing I noticed ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ETS
  • 1 Post By toytraindoc
  • 1 Post By pennsy
  • 1 Post By Joenaper
  • 1 Post By Joenaper

Thread: SR22 Range Report

1. #1 SR22 Range Report 
    ETS
    Picked up my SR22/threaded barrel last week at my LGS. Took three days for them to get it in after ordering.

First thing I noticed was its similarity in size and weight to my LC9s. The .22 has a 1" advantage in sight radius. With pinkie extension, the grip is a true 3 fingers for my average size hand, instead of 2.5 for the 9'er. It has an accessory rail, which I doubt I will ever use, but, who knows?

The trigger is slightly wider and smooth in comparison with the LC9. There is absolutely no tendency to pinch the finger between the trigger and guard. On the downside, have not been able to remove the slip-off grip to exchange the one in place from the factory with the supplied, second one, which I am not sure is larger or smaller. Have not shot the two guns side-by-side to compare the SA/DA trigger pulls, but I think they are similar. The .22's single action pull is about 1# greater, but is still in the 4-5# range. Both have 3-dot sights, with the SR's rear being fully adjustable using a tiny screwdriver. The ambidextrous safety is brightly marked in "fire", but reversed in direction (ie., up is "off") compared to its center-fired brother. The overall grip and trigger-pull distance is nearly perfect for me.

Firing was done at both an indoor range (to adjust the rear sight and get a feel for accuracy), and an outdoor tactical range. Total rounds fired were about 500 and comprised of both some 35 yrs. old (I had written the date on the boxes when I bought them) and some newly purchased. Several observations were made. The older, high velocity ones had one failure to fire (I/100), apparently due to a bad primer charge. Both the old and new "target" loadings had numerous failures, mostly due to failure to strip the next round from the magazine. My gun definitely loves "higher velocity", ie. no failures in 200+ shots of new Winchester, Remington and CCI bullets. The latter ranged in velocities of 1200-1355 ft./sec. All fired bullets were 40 and 42 gr.

Needless to say, I'm very satisfied with the gun, thus far. It is very comfortable and fun to shoot and is very accurate. Field stripping is ridiculously easy--last night, I stripped it in my lap while sitting in my easy chair with no tools. The issue of shooting it with the SR Silencer is probably about a year in the future, due to expected delay in delivery to the dealer and all the "hoops" that I will have to jump through after that.
    Last edited by ETS; 05-09-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    pennsy likes this.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LC9S(semi-pro), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, SR 22, M77(.223), Mini-14
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

2. #2 Re: SR22 Range Report 
    Thank you for sharing your range report with us. It really sounds like you had a good time with it. If you are really considering a suspressor for your SR22, start the paper work now to get your tax stamp for it since it take a long time to get it. I hope Trump ends the tax stamp process soon.
    ETS likes this.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    μολὼν λαβέ

3. #3 Re: SR22 Range Report 
    ETS
    Quote Originally Posted by toytraindoc View Post
    Thank you for sharing your range report with us. It really sounds like you had a good time with it. If you are really considering a suspressor for your SR22, start the paper work now to get your tax stamp for it since it take a long time to get it. I hope Trump ends the tax stamp process soon.
    The delay is inherent in the "hoops" referred to. Am not holding my breath for the hearing act (HR 367) to pass. Even without holding my breath, at my age, a year is a challenge!

(The paperwork for the Federal stamp can't begin until the dealer has the suppressor in hand)

Yes, had a really, really good time.
    Last edited by ETS; 05-09-2017 at 05:25 PM.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LC9S(semi-pro), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, SR 22, M77(.223), Mini-14
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: SR22 Range Report 
    Good report Ed . Enjoy it to the fullest . Hope 22s keep coming down also .
    ETS likes this.

6. #5 Re: SR22 Range Report 
    ETS
    Quote Originally Posted by pennsy View Post
    Good report Ed . Enjoy it to the fullest . Hope 22s keep coming down also .
    Yep, price, availability and selection really poor right now.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free

7. #6 Re: SR22 Range Report 
    Good report and glad you're enjoying your SR22. I really enjoy mine a lot. I had a Walther P22 that was a jamomatic. Since getting the SR22, I've been very happy. My one very small pet peeve with the SR22 is the goofy backwards safety. Someone told me that was necessary to accommodate the decocker in that small form factor. You're right about the size compared to the LC9s - I have found all holsters to be interchangeable.
    ETS likes this.

8. #7 Re: SR22 Range Report 
    ETS
    Quote Originally Posted by Joenaper View Post
    Good report and glad you're enjoying your SR22. I really enjoy mine a lot. I had a Walther P22 that was a jamomatic. Since getting the SR22, I've been very happy. My one very small pet peeve with the SR22 is the goofy backwards safety. Someone told me that was necessary to accommodate the decocker in that small form factor. You're right about the size compared to the LC9s - I have found all holsters to be interchangeable.
    Thanks, Joenaper. I realized, after firing hundreds of rounds, my hand felt fine. Quite a refreshing change in comp. with the diminutive center fires.

None of my Kydex holsters for the LC9 fit the SR22.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free

9. #8 SR22 Range Report 
    Quote Originally Posted by ETS View Post
    Thanks, Joenaper. I realized, after firing hundreds of rounds, my hand felt fine. Quite a refreshing change in comp. with the diminutive center fires.

None of my Kydex holsters for the LC9 fit the SR22.
    I should have been clearer on holsters. I don't have any Kydex holsters for either of those two guns. Leather and remora only. The only pain you'll ever feel shooting that thing is your thumbs from loading so many magazines.
    ETS likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads