SR9c Stainless or Black? Can't decide.

This is a discussion on SR9c Stainless or Black? Can't decide. within the Semi Autos forums, part of the Other Firearms category; I've been searching for a smaller sized 9 mm for a few months. I've looked at and held quite a few. I've decided I will ...

Thread: SR9c Stainless or Black? Can't decide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 SR9c Stainless or Black? Can't decide. 
    I've been searching for a smaller sized 9 mm for a few months. I've looked at and held quite a few. I've decided I will get the Ruger SR9c. Now I just can't decide on which finish. I have no real preference either way so I'm looking for some help on the practical pros and cons of each. Info like maybe one finish scratches easier than the other, etc. or the glare of the lighter color makes sighting hard or Black is more stealth at night unless you drop it and are looking for it...

I did a few searches online and can't find any real issues with either.

The black version is called Alloy Steel with Nitrodox Pro Black. Some have guessed that it its a Nitride coating. It is not the black stainless material used on some earlier Rugers.

Either verson is available so it's not like I have to grab the first one I can find.

Worse case, lacking any real reason, I 'spose I can flip a coin.....

Thanks.
    Sent from a Windows 3.1, 88 Mhz 486 DX2 running Netscape 1.0 via 14.4 b modem
    [/quote]

2. #2 Re: SR9c Stainless or Black? Can't decide. 
    My SR-9 is a delight. Enjoy it often. Carry it often. Enjoy your choice.

3. #3 Re: SR9c Stainless or Black? Can't decide. 
    I know this won't help you decide because I can't really give you any pros or cons. I got the stainless SR9c myself mainly because I just like the looks of it. All the other pistols just have the regular blued finish. So I guess I just wanted something different this time. Anyway I really like it so far. Whichever is your choice I think you will enjoy it.

4. #4 Re: SR9c Stainless or Black? Can't decide. 
    I'm probably going to get a SR9 soon. I made the mistake of handling one in the gun shop. The SR9 comes in blackened stainless, but the SR9c is black alloy. I'm not sure why they do the slide different unless the alloy is lighter for the compact, more carry friendly version. I will probably go with the brushed stainless if I pull the trigger on a buy. Just like the look and figure scratches won't show as bad. They say the Blackened version is actually a harder surface. It may not scratch as quick but it will probably show when it does.
    .....if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you cannot have a gun problem. -Jeff Cooper-

5. #5 Re: SR9c Stainless or Black? Can't decide. 
    I'm so equally nondecisive on the color choice that getting one that is different colored is as good a reason as any. Then again, colors that match the LCP cound be a good reason, too.

Usually the choice in matters like this is obvious. Not so this time.

Thanks for input so far.

Thinking about selling blood so I could get it a few weeks earlier.....
    [/quote]

6. #6 Re: SR9c Stainless or Black? Can't decide. 
    id go stainless you can have it blackend at some later date
    NRA NAHC LCP SR9 MarkII MINI-14 1022

7. #7 Re: SR9c Stainless or Black? Can't decide. 
    Quote Originally Posted by fangus
    id go stainless you can have it blackend at some later date
    Yup, it would be hard to go the other way....
    [/quote]

8. #8 Re: SR9c Stainless or Black? Can't decide. 
    No pros or cons one way or the other , but I prefer black over stainless on most guns. My SR9 is black. However, there's always one that'll come along and look really good either way.

Whatever you decide, it's still an SR9C.

9. #9 Re: SR9c Stainless or Black? Can't decide. 
    I'm going with stainless. IMO, it just seems more aesthetically pleasing on this particular gun. Can't offer a better reason than that. OK, maybe the fact that my wife likes shiny guns...

10. #10 Re: SR9c Stainless or Black? Can't decide. 
    I'll chime in really fast.

I carry both stainless and blued guns for concealed carry. When they are under your clothing, it really doesn't matter which color it is because no one should see it. My experience with stainless guns is that stainless appear bigger, especially at night. This could come in handy in a situation if it is dark and you have to draw on a BG.

I'd buy the stainless version. As was posted before, you can go black at a later date if you decide a black gun is what you want. In fact, if I was in the market for a SR9c (I just bought a full size SR9), that is what I'd do. Get the best of both worlds.
    -James
    My Blog Gear Reviews, Gun Rights Issues, Emergency Preparedness
    Now on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads