Glock 29 or 29SF

This is a discussion on Glock 29 or 29SF within the Semi Autos forums, part of the Other Firearms category; Ok, so I'm thinking real seriously about picking up a glock compact 10mm for ccw and haven't been able to discern much difference in the ...

Thread: Glock 29 or 29SF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Glock 29 or 29SF 
    Ok, so I'm thinking real seriously about picking up a glock compact 10mm for ccw and haven't been able to discern much difference in the glock 29 and the 29SF. I know the SF means "short frame" but what does it mean in terms of actual gripping over the "regular" 29? I've heard that the 29SF has a slightly smaller or thinner grip which is better for smaller hands but wanted to know if anyone here has shot both and/or what what differences they percieved in grip and controllability between the 29 and 29SF.

Thanks for any input.

DEMOCRACY is two Wolves and one Sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
    LIBERTY is a well armed Sheep contesting the result!

2. #2 Re: Glock 29 or 29SF 
    I have a G29 and G30SF. My hands aren't the largest and I can control my G29 without any issues. Its the most accurate Glock I have. Either way it's a great gun.

3. #3 Re: Glock 29 or 29SF 
    Awesome. I am thinking from what I've researched that the SF in only marginally "less deep" on the grip than the regular model but works better for smaller hands. But I shoot several M&Ps, which are very close in size to the glock platform, with no grip issues at all and I find them quite comfortable in my average sized hands so I probably don't need the SF model.

Since you have the 29, do you find that the recoil is less, or at least "different" in that it kicks back rather than up like most others? I have read several places where people refer to this and comment on how the 29's lower design directs the recoil back into your hand rather then up which makes follow up shots easier. Is that what you find as well? I can handle a stouter recoil as I am used to high power rounds in my compacts but I am concerned about controllability with follow up shots with the 29 and wondered your thoughts on this.

4. #4 Re: Glock 29 or 29SF 
    with the G29 or G20 you are cheating yourself unless you use DT or BB ammo.

CB makes a nice mid powered load but is costly, Win makes a nice mid powered load, and Hornady makes a nice mid powered load.

but for full power self defensive ammo DT has them all beat for velocity and price. BB makes a good full powered load also but only offers the heavier rounds and at a steap price.

5. #5 Re: Glock 29 or 29SF 
    Yep, already going with the DT Gold Dots. Anything less is only marginally better than my current .40 loads so there's not much point in going to the 10mm with weak ammo. I've decided on the 29sf if I go compact but still haven't decided if I want the full size 20 or not. May just have to get both!!

6. #6 Re: Glock 29 or 29SF 
    Hey Buckeye Hope all is well?

Have you thought of the G27. or do you have your heart set on the 29. I have had great luck with the 27 and the 22.

Kevin
    Ruger LCP, Ruger LCR .357, Glock 22, Glock 27, Sig P290, Colt 1911 WWI,

Remington 870, Ruger M77 Ultra Light 30-06, T/C Triumph .50 cal Muzzleloader, Mauser 98K WWII. S&W M&P AR15, DPMS LR308

7. #7 Re: Glock 29 or 29SF 
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFreeOrDie
    Hey Buckeye Hope all is well?

Have you thought of the G27. or do you have your heart set on the 29. I have had great luck with the 27 and the 22.

Kevin
    Well I've got several .40s already so don't really want another one but wanted to up the ante with a 10mm for ccw.

8. #8 Re: Glock 29 or 29SF 
    Buckeye,

makes sense to me. I was not a big fan of the glock when I got out of the service carried the 92F, but then I started carrying the 22 on duty and I must say it "takes a lickin and keeps on shooting" I have a surefire light I carry on it with the Safariland weapon light holster. I will also say the same for the 27. I have been looking at the 45 ACP in Glock not sure what model, I just love the round.

Can wait to see the range report when you get one or both!!!!

Kevin

Ruger LCP, Ruger LCR .357, Glock 22, Glock 27, Sig P290, Colt 1911 WWI,

Remington 870, Ruger M77 Ultra Light 30-06, T/C Triumph .50 cal Muzzleloader, Mauser 98K WWII. S&W M&P AR15, DPMS LR308

9. #9 Re: Glock 29 or 29SF 
    I've got a surefire on my fullsize M&P in the nightstand - awesome light. I own around 15 handguns and none of them are glocks so I figured it was about time to see what all the hoopla is all about! I thought about a .45 also but the ballistic performance of the 10mm is off the charts so I figure if I'm going to spend the cash I might as well go big or go home and that's where the 10mm comes in. Much more firepower (200+ ft lbs energy) in basically the same size frame plus from what I've read folks seem to say some .45 rounds kick harder than the lower frame 29 10mm. I've heard it's a "different" kind of recoil with the glock 10mm, if that makes sense. Like it kicks back rather than up and therefore is more controllable than most 45s because you don't have the extreme muzzle rise. Don't know for sure but if that's the case I'd rather absorb the recoil into my arms and have more control on follow up shots than to deal with a flippy muzzle. But I've shot some full size 1911 .45s and didnt think the recoil was a big deal at all. Some folks say the .45 is not as controllable in a compact but I figure if I can handle my compact .40s very well, which I can with no trouble, then it's going to be a toss up with either a or a glock 30 or 29.

Anyway....gives me an excuse to try something new. Geeze thanks Kevin, now I have to get a 29 AND a 30!!!! Like I need an excuse!

10. #10 Re: Glock 29 or 29SF 
    Ok, decided on and picked me up a brand new Glock 29 10mm (not the SF) and got out to the range today. First off, this is my first Glock and first impressions are: Oh WOW! Holy Crap I love this gun - why didn't I get one sooner! The feel, the fit, the trigger, the mechanics of the weapon are awesome. The gun is quite accurate and easy to handle. My average size hands fit the standard grip perfectly and follow up shots didn't take any longer to reacquire than anything else I shoot. The trigger pull feels about the same as my M&Ps but seems to have less travel before break and less total travel overall, which really helps with follow up shots for a large bore gun. Mine has the standard glock sights from which it was quite easy to gain a proper sight picture. In fact, my very first shot at 21' pegged the center bullseye! Then I got cocky and had a few fliers! Hey gimme a break, I was like a kid on Christmas morning!!!

The recoil from the 10mm wasn't bad at all. I'd heard stories of how much it kicks and so forth but I'd also heard stories how it wasn't that bad. From my perspective it wasn't bad at all. I have grown accustomed to my M&P compact 40s with high power DoubleTap Gold Dots and was ready for an asskicker with the 10mm. But that wasn't the case at all. I used weak 200 grain CCI FMJ to start and then moved on to my defensive ammo - DoubleTap 180gr, 165gr, and 135 grain. While the 29 does have more recoil than my .40, it is not hard at all to control. It's just "different" as I had heard. More like it kicks back rather than up so muzzle rise isn't an issue at all. In fact, by my second mag I was rapid firing into the center mass circle at 21 feet and stayed on target quite well. As far as the overall recoil, it is more than my compact .40s but doesn't seem to have as much muzzle rise as my .40s. If I had to gauge it, I'd say there is just as much increase in recoil going from my .40 to the 10mm as there is going from my compact 9mm to the .40. Even one handed with the DoubleTap loads, it was no harder to control than my M&P even under one hand rapid fire.

As far as the ammo, the Blazer 200 grain ball felt less recoil than the DoubleTap 180 and 165 Golden Sabers. I could tell no difference in recoil between the 165grain and 180 grain Golden Sabers but the DT 135 Nosler rounds - holy crap those things kick way more than the others and make an incredible BOOOM and muzzle flash. Nice effect when the range is full of folks plinking .22s and you start firing those things off! Wow! As far as power, you're talking about velocities in the 1300-1400fps range with 700-750 ft lbs of energy with the high power DoubleTaps. That's more than twice the energy of a standard 9mm round and 1.5 times that of a 40 cal round and still 100-150ft lbs more than a .45. Talk about a man-stopper! And, all with less recoil than a couple 1911 .45s I've shot in the past. Personal note, if you're using watered down 10mm factory loads then you're not accomplishing anything beyond basically a .40 load. To realize the true potential of the 10mm you've got to step up and use some real ammo, like DoubleTap or Buffalo Bore or something with similar ballistics. Anything else is barely more powerful than the standard S&W .40. If you didn't know, a 10mm uses the same bullet as a .40 but with a longer cartridge.

So, bottom line...I love my Glock 29. Ran about 300 rounds through it today right out of the box without a hitch and felt no more hand fatigue than when I shoot my .40s, which is basically nill. Recoil is very manageable and the gun functioned flawlessly. For those on the fence about going to a 10mm, forget the horror stories. It just isn't true - at least with the Glock. Maybe other 10s kick more but Glock has this thing figured out!!

I'm pretty sure this baby just replaced my M&P for daily carry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads