Get ready for the S&W Bodyguard .380

This is a discussion on Get ready for the S&W Bodyguard .380 within the Semi Autos forums, part of the Other Firearms category; My PM9 fully loaded with powerball ammo and with some slide melt done to it etc. weight 18 ounces. I never caryr my 380's anymore. ...

Thread: Get ready for the S&W Bodyguard .380

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. #41 Re: Get ready for the S&W Bodyguard .380 
    My PM9 fully loaded with powerball ammo and with some slide melt done to it etc. weight 18 ounces. I never caryr my 380's anymore. have the P380 kahr which is super indeed and the lcp which goes bang every time, jsut that I can't hit jack sh-t with it..
    "JUST SHOOT IT LIKE U STOLE IT"!!

2. #42 Re: Get ready for the S&W Bodyguard .380 
    Hey Jocko I think that's probably one of the biggest reasons I don't carry my LCP anymore either - I have to work extra hard to even come close to the target, even with the CT, and I just flat out don't want to have to think about it or work that hard to shoot. Call me goofy but I want to just point and shoot and the hole should end up somewhere reasonably close to where I am aiming...you know, sort of like how ALL my other guns do!!

True story......I was the range on Friday testing out my new Glock 23 and the guy in the stall next to me peaked my attention when I kept hearing him fire but saw no holes in his target 15' away. Just prior to that he was tearing out the center ring on the previous target with a Beretta 9mm so I thought geesh, either this guy just went legally blind or he's trying out an LCP for the first time. After about 25 rounds or so he finally started hitting bottom paper and gradually worked his way up to the center ring. Lo and behold, no kidding, he just bought a new chrome slide LCP and it was the first time he shot it. He was beside himself thinking the gun was a dud. Had to reassure him it was the the trigger pull and all. Funny story because I know most of us have been there!
    DEMOCRACY is two Wolves and one Sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
    LIBERTY is a well armed Sheep contesting the result!

3. #43 Re: Get ready for the S&W Bodyguard .380 
    I alternate pocket carry between my Kahr P380 and my LCP with a CT installed. At 7-10 yards which is a realistic, practical distance for a gun like this and employing a VERY firm grip, I have no problem hitting center mass with the LCP and CT using a B27 or B21 target. That's good enough for me - I am no Annie Oakley and I no longer at 60 have the arm and hand strength I used to have but manage to fire the LCP competently nevertheless. The secret to this gun is a combination of firm grip and smooth trigger follow through. That and periodic practice - I recommend a shooting a box of 50 at least three or four times a year. Having said, when I want a wee bit more fire power but still want to keep weight and size down, my Walther PPS 9mm jumps to the head of the line every time. 'Just installed XS Big Dots on that sucker and with a trigger feel I am used to from owning Glocks, there is zero transition, very instinctive. It's also a very accurate weapon.

Bottom line, there is no one way for everyone - we are all different. Carry/shoot what works for you. As for pocket .380s, reliability is where the LCP really shines, problems are rare compared to some of the competition - I base that after reading so many mixed reviews about other newly introduced .380s but this is the internet after all so it's hard to quantify truth vs. perception. For the price though the LCP is hard to beat. And the Crimson Trace particularly for the older folks (never tried the Armalaser on an LCP), makes all the difference in the world. I consider it an "optional necessity" for the LCP and no separate step to activate like the Bodyguard.

Back to the S&W Bodyguard .380.....
    "Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars."

4. #44 Re: Get ready for the S&W Bodyguard .380 
    My problem with the S&W is the fact that the laser is integrated as part of the weapon. Call me old school, but in my opinion, lasers, lights, range finders, and other doohickeys that you can hang off your weapon are accessories. The weapon should simply be the platform. For that reason alone, I'd never buy something like the S&W. If indeed the laser does fail, and you've trained yourself to shoot it with the laser, then what? If you have not learned to manage the sights (as a lot of people will rely solely on the laser), then you are dead. If the laser fails and you have to send the entire gun back to S&W for warranty work, I hope you have a backup CCW, because if you don't and someone decides to mug you while your gun is away for repair, you are dead.

For my purposes, a gun should be able to accept any crap you want to hang from it. This is why I like that medium/large pistols now come standard with accessory rails. I like companies like CT that make accessories that are easy on easy off so if the product does fail, you simply swap out your grips.

In all practicality, the gun is simply a tool to send a projectile out a barrel really fast. It should not have crap integrated into it that makes it like a Swiss Army knife - in my experience, swiss army knives are jacks of all trades, but that masters of none. That's how I feel about guns with built in "accessories".
    -James
    My Blog Gear Reviews, Gun Rights Issues, Emergency Preparedness
    Now on Facebook

5. #45 Re: Get ready for the S&W Bodyguard .380 
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadbolt
    My problem with the S&W is the fact that the laser is integrated as part of the weapon. Call me old school, but in my opinion, lasers, lights, range finders, and other doohickeys that you can hang off your weapon are accessories. The weapon should simply be the platform. For that reason alone, I'd never buy something like the S&W. If indeed the laser does fail, and you've trained yourself to shoot it with the laser, then what? If you have not learned to manage the sights (as a lot of people will rely solely on the laser), then you are dead. If the laser fails and you have to send the entire gun back to S&W for warranty work, I hope you have a backup CCW, because if you don't and someone decides to mug you while your gun is away for repair, you are dead.

For my purposes, a gun should be able to accept any crap you want to hang from it. This is why I like that medium/large pistols now come standard with accessory rails. I like companies like CT that make accessories that are easy on easy off so if the product does fail, you simply swap out your grips.

In all practicality, the gun is simply a tool to send a projectile out a barrel really fast. It should not have crap integrated into it that makes it like a Swiss Army knife - in my experience, swiss army knives are jacks of all trades, but that masters of none. That's how I feel about guns with built in "accessories".
    Tell us how you really feel Deadbolt! On a serious note, I would not buy a gun with an integrated laser for the same reasons you quoted.

6. #46 Re: Get ready for the S&W Bodyguard .380 
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBill

Tell us how you really feel Deadbolt! On a serious note, I would not buy a gun with an integrated laser for the same reasons you quoted.
    LOL, you don't want to kow how I really feel.
    -James
    Now on Facebook

7. #47 Re: Get ready for the S&W Bodyguard .380 
    I read the comments about accuracy or the lack of it, but no one says at what distance. Mine hits where I aim at 15 feet and that is all I'm looking for. Have shot it out to 15 yards and no farther, I bought this for face to face up close situations. Only use when a pistol this small is required, otherwise it's a Para Carry 9 or a old Colt LW Commander. The LCP is easier to conceal then my old Chiefs Special, but not as accurate either. Some may have had higher expectations in the accuracy department, for one I'm satisfied with my LCP.
    Life Member of the VFW, NRA and Wisconsin Conservation Warden Assoc.

8. #48 Re: Get ready for the S&W Bodyguard .380 
    I think anyone asking for accuracy past 15 yards is asking too much. Personally, if I ever have to shoot past 30 feet, I'll be holding something like a shotgun or a rifle. I would never engage a moving target with a pistol at that distance. Too many lives can be lost if I miss.
    -James
    Now on Facebook

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads