Glock 43 review & range report

Glock 43 review & range report

This is a discussion on Glock 43 review & range report within the Semi Autos forums, part of the Other Firearms category; About six weeks ago I bought a Glock 43. I’ve never been a big fan of Glock pistols or the 9mm. I suppose the reason ...

Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Glock 43 review & range report

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Glock 43 review & range report 
    About six weeks ago I bought a Glock 43. I’ve never been a big fan of Glock pistols or the 9mm. I suppose the reason is, I never liked the fatter grips on double stack magazine pistols, and I never thought the Glock was the nicest looking pistol out there. Being a Colt 1911 Government Model .45 ACP guy, I guess that’s another reason why. Also, when I compared bullet performance in a FMJ configuration, I always felt the .45 ACP won hands down, and still do. However, I have always admitted that in a HP bullet configuration, there is little to no difference between the two calibers in terms of performance, wound channel damage, etc. Both HP calibers are excellent for self-defense applications…JMHO.

Before I bought the Glock 43, I had the opportunity to shoot many other single stack 9mm pistols in this class…Ruger, S&W, Kahr, and the Glock 43…it’s nice to have shooting buddies that own them and allow you to try them out. They were all nice pistols, but the reason I chose the 43 is because it felt the best in my hand, and pointed the best for me. I know that most of the other pistols hold a few more rounds, but this was not a big issue for me. After all, I have been carrying a Ruger LCP since 2011, and it only holds 7 rounds too. Furthermore, I’ve carried 5-shot snub nose revolvers since I got my carry permit 23 years ago (still do), and they only hold 5 rounds. So, I made the decision to buy the 43 because it was the best choice for me, but it may not be the best choice for you for a myriad of reasons.

I’m not going to go into a detailed description of the dimensions and weight of the pistol, as there are many online reviews of its specifications, including the Glock website, that you can take a look at. I will say the pistol is light, small, a single stack, and holds 7 rounds. It is extremely easy to take apart and put back together. The lines on it (excluding the sights) are nice and smooth. The finish is nice and appears to be as durable as anything else out there. The gun comes with two magazines, one with a pinky extension, and another with a flush bottom. I really like the pinky extension! I get a full three finger grip using it. I replaced the flush mount magazine bottom with a Pearce finger extension. It’s slightly longer than the Glock extension, but the difference is negligible. When I buy more magazines, I’m just going to get the Glock mags already equipped with the finger extension.

The trigger: Glock advertises the pistol has a 5.5 pound pull. Without a trigger pull gauge, I will never exactly know for sure, but mine feels heavier than that. I’m guessing 6.5 to 7 pounds, which is perfectly acceptable to me for a CCW. The trigger has very little take-up, and the break is very crisp…I like it, so that’s all that matters. Glock refers to their pistols as having a Safe Action, which is something between a double action and a single action. Its trigger pull is much heavier than my 1911 pistols, but much, much, much lighter than my LCP or snub nosed S&W 442. Many folks love this type of trigger, but many don’t like these type of striker-fired pistols and think they are unsafe…I get it. I’ve heard stories about people shooting a hole in their foot or leg drawing or re-holstering striker-fired pistols, but I’m of the mindset that the two best gun safeties are your brain and your trigger finger. I have carried a 1911 a lot over the years in a locked and cocked configuration, so the Glock Safe Action Trigger system is not an issue with me. This gun, like many others in its class, have multiple internal safeties which prevent the gun from firing when dropped. So, it’s not going off unless YOU pull the trigger.

That said, even though this pistol fits nicely in a soft Blackhawk pocket holster in my cargo shorts without printing, there is absolutely no way I’m going to carry it that way. It gives me a bad feeling. So, I bought a OWB Fobus polymer belt holster for it. The holster completely covers the trigger, and the tension is adjustable. I own another Fobus belt holster for the LCP and they do the job perfectly for me. I carry the Glock 43 at 3 and 4 o’clock on my right side, shirt tail untucked. I’ve got a kydex magazine holder for my spare mag. It’s made by a company call Kytex (based out of Texas). This system works for me.

Off to the range: Over the past six weeks I’ve put 300 rounds through it. Fifty rounds of what I carry for SD in it (Hornady 115 grain Critical Defense, standard pressure), and 250 rounds of different 115 grain FMJ ammo, including Winchester (WWB), Federal, and Blazer Brass. I have not had a single malfunction/jam, failure to feed, extract, eject, nothing…the pistol always went bang! The pistol is easy to clean. I’m diggin’ the price of 9mm practice ammo…approx $25 for a box of 100 rounds, as compared to the same price for 50 round boxes of .45 ACP.

I like the stock sights that came with this pistol. They are easy for me to acquire a good sight picture. There are many out there that hate the standard Glock sights and change them out immediately, but they work for me. I get as good as a sight picture with these sights as I do with the 3-dot Novak sights I have on my Colt XSE 1911. I see no reason for me to change them.

It took me a few magazines to get used to the Glock trigger, but after that it was smooth sailing. I initially was shooting a little low and to the left…operator error, as I’m sure I was jerking the trigger a little. After a few mags though, my groups tightened up considerably. In no time I was nailing the bullseye. I’ve attached a few phots of the pistol, along with a few targets. I was shooting 5-shot groups at 21 feet. It’s very accurate for its barrel length, which is 3.4 inches. After shooting 5-shot groups, slow fire, with a two-hand hold, I fired multiple mags rapid fire, one-handed, as fast as I could pull the trigger…both right and left handed (photo attached). This was strictly point shooting, not using the sights at all. I print my own targets on 8 ½ X 11 typing paper, then tape them to a full size silhouette target after I’ve blown the center and head out of those. I guess I can hit center of mass of the bad guy shooting rapid fire with either hand, but I’m hoping to get a little better as time goes on.

In conclusion, I am happy with the Glock 43. It works for me! Will it work for you? Maybe, or maybe not, for a number of personal reasons and preferences.

Hope you enjoyed my review and range report. Sorry for the length, but I don’t get on the forum as much as I used to…so I had to make up for lost time! LOL

God Bless America!

Sarge

Glock 43 review & range report-glock-43-after-getting-used-trigger.jpgGlock 43 review & range report-glock-43-first-rounds-through-pistol.jpgGlock 43 review & range report-glock-43-one-handed-rapid-fire.jpgGlock 43 review & range report-glock-43-fobus-belt-holster.jpg
    Colt 1911 in the nightstand...Elsie in my pocket!

2. #2 Re: Glock 43 review & range report 
    Enjoyed the range report, Sarge. Welcome back.
    Ruger Security Six, Ruger Mark III, Ruger LCP Custom, Ruger SP101, S&W 637, Springfield XDs 9mm, Beretta 92FS Vertec Inox, Sig p238

3. #3 Re: Glock 43 review & range report 
    Great report Sarge! I'm not a fan of the 1911...the grip is too thin. LOL it's funny how that works. I am also a fan of the stock Glock trigger for a carry weapon. They call it double action because as you pull the trigger the striker is cocked all the way and released. I think you picked a fine carry weapon. Den
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Glock 43 review & range report 
    Thank you Denny and Kudzu! These Glocks kind of grow on you. Now I'm thinking, double stack magazines with fatter grips be damned, I want a Glock 19! Lol

6. #5 Re: Glock 43 review & range report 
    Enjoyed your range report Sarge. Congrats on your new Glock!
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    μολὼν λαβέ

7. #6 Re: Glock 43 review & range report 
    Thanks for the great range report. Enjoyed the read.

8. #7 Re: Glock 43 review & range report 
    Nice write up.

I'll wait til it comes out in a double stack.
    *** Just Your Average Jewish Redneck ***

9. #8 Re: Glock 43 review & range report 
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    I'll wait til it comes out in a double stack.
    Your wait is over. Glock 26.
    lefty60 likes this.
    My wife accused me of being immature.
    I told her to get out of my fort.

10. #9 Re: Glock 43 review & range report 
    Quote Originally Posted by rpott3 View Post
    Your wait is over. Glock 26.
    You fell for my joke ;-)

When the 43 came out and the Glock forums were all ablaze with reviews, that "I'll wait for the double stack" joke was well liked.
    lefty60 and rpott3 like this.
    *** Just Your Average Jewish Redneck ***

11. #10 Re: Glock 43 review & range report 
    Interesting range report. I can't believe I missed it before this. Great Details. I picked up a new Glock 42 last week.

It's a 380 caliber. I know a Lady who bought one of these when they first came out and they were very hard to find. I snagged this one for $372. Then spent $60. for night sights, $54 for a holster made by John Medlin from St. Matthews, SC. Throw in $34.oo for the Governor and it's $460.08 which is just a few dollars above what Academy and other stores around are asking for just the pistol.

I've fired several Glock 19's in the past in 9mm and they were reliable. We shall have to see how their mouse gun works.

Glock 43 review & range report-g42-wruger-lcp.jpg

Here's the G42 stacked up next to the Ruger LCP. I'm going to give the Glock a range trip and see if she needs a glove and a pinkie extension on the magazine.
    I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads