Do you think Ruger should have a recall on the SR22p barrel screw?

This is a discussion on Do you think Ruger should have a recall on the SR22p barrel screw? within the Semi Autos forums, part of the Other Firearms category; Having it come apart in less than 24 hours and 260 rounds, I can't help but wonder if it's going to be a problem for ...

Thread: Do you think Ruger should have a recall on the SR22p barrel screw?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Do you think Ruger should have a recall on the SR22p barrel screw? 
    computerdynamics
    Having it come apart in less than 24 hours and 260 rounds, I can't help but wonder if it's going to be a problem for others? I really like the gun and it shoots great but is this going to keep happening? Maybe Ruger should supply the 9/64 Allen wrench with the gun so you can check it before, during and after? My wife shot it and liked it but if the barrel had come completely loose would it be dangerous? I would be sick if she got hurt because of a screw! I'm Ruger 110% and I know they will make it right but it's still a concern. Thoughts?
    Tony

2. #2 Re: Do you think Ruger should have a recall on the SR22p barrel screw? 
    Good question, I look forward to talking to Ruger tomorrow about it. Like I said I bought 2 - .49 cent 9/64 inch Allen wrenches yesterday and will keep an eye on it when I get it back and see if it will be a problem, if it is well I will call Ruger. But I shot 300 rounds through mine and the barrel stayed tight. I really look forward to see how myself, you and I can't remember who else sent theirs on here back to Ruger works out. Dave's is doing well I think, what ever is going on I hope it works out for all of us. Anyway we seem to me the pioneers for the SR22P for this forum. All we can do now is hurry up and wait. computerdynamics if you call Ruger about your please let us know as I will post what I find out.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

3. #3 Re: Do you think Ruger should have a recall on the SR22p barrel screw? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ptroxx
    I have read so much about the issues that the first thing im going to do when I get my SR in 5 days is going to take some blue toctite and fix the barrel issues.....fix it now and wont have to worry again ..
    Keep us posted please.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

4. #4 Re: Do you think Ruger should have a recall on the SR22p barrel screw? 
    I checked the screw on my daughters sr22pb after it's second outing (about 450 through her now), and found no play in the barrell screw at all. I'll keep an eye out, and post up anything that we find. The sr did have about 6-7 failures to feed using federal box ammo. Didn't seem to dirty up the gun too bad. I am going nuts waiting for MINE to show up! I could go online and get one coming...but I'm trying to get a good rapport going with a smaller local shop (Gunnies, Orem Ut). I'll give em two more weeks, and that 'll be it! :P
    Why is there air?

5. #5 Re: Do you think Ruger should have a recall on the SR22p barrel screw? 
    Quote Originally Posted by framedcraig1
    I checked the screw on my daughters sr22pb after it's second outing (about 450 through her now), and found no play in the barrell screw at all. I'll keep an eye out, and post up anything that we find. The sr did have about 6-7 failures to feed using federal box ammo. Didn't seem to dirty up the gun too bad. I am going nuts waiting for MINE to show up! I could go online and get one coming...but I'm trying to get a good rapport going with a smaller local shop (Gunnies, Orem Ut). I'll give em two more weeks, and that 'll be it! :P
    That SR22P does clean up nicely, one of the easiest guns I have ever cleaned. Doesn't seem to get that dirty either. I like it.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

6. #6 Re: Do you think Ruger should have a recall on the SR22p barrel screw? 
    Recall? Why? Just put some loctight on it. No big deal. About 1700 rounds through mine and shooting great. I would advise "RED" LOCTIGHT" especially if you have concerns that it might come loose. I specifically asked the Ruger tech and He said Red. It would have been nice if they had sent me a allen wrench in that size,as it was the only one I did not have, and had to buy a whole set to get it.

Dave@vabch

7. #7 Re: Do you think Ruger should have a recall on the SR22p barrel screw? 
    I purchased a SR22 last Friday. I plan to field strip it and check the barrel screw and clean it up before going to the range this next week. I have CCI, Federal 550 round box and a couple other brands to run through it. I am also a Ruger fan!! Will let you know how it does.

Johnboy65

8. #8 Re: Do you think Ruger should have a recall on the SR22p barrel screw? 
    Tony -

You have every right to be concerned...especially with the wife thing. But I wouldn't be overly concerned, since only a few out of many thousands of these pistols have had issues with the barrel unscrewing. No, I don't thing there should be a recall...yet anyway...not unless this appears to be an issue with more pistols.

Ruger will fix your problem. At the very least, this thread has wised you up to the fact that it may be prudent to keep a 9/64 allen wrench handy and to use red loctite instead of blue loctite if you encounter issues in the future.

I'm going to have to check these pistols out. They look too cool for school! I was only "giving you the business" Wally in my comments in your other tread about getting a Single Six.

Sarge aka Chris
    Colt 1911 in the nightstand...Elsie in my pocket!

9. #9 Re: Do you think Ruger should have a recall on the SR22p barrel screw? 
    computerdynamics
    Seems like everybody is having pretty good luck with the screw. I just got a weird one? I still question the red over the blue? I seem to remember having to heat a bolt with red on it to get it come loose? Long time ago in a distant land.... ; ) It would seem it's a user removable part according to the manual. I guess you could just leave it attached forever?
    Tony

10. #10 Re: Do you think Ruger should have a recall on the SR22p barrel screw? 
    I use it everyday in my business. Here is the tricky/confusing part for a simpleton like me. Loctite in the red tube is blue in color. It simply feels like removing an aircraft nut, the kind with the little nylon collar that keeps a nut from working loose. The Loctite in the blue tube is red. It dries hard as Chinese arithmetic and should be avoided. I use the blue Loctite in the red tube in my business and I (me, personally) would not be afraid to use it on a gun. Just use sparingly and wipe off any excess. Knowing what I know and hearing what I have heard, if/when I buy an SR22 I would probably do mine as soon as I got it.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads