New SIG P238 .380 Colt Mustang clone

This is a discussion on New SIG P238 .380 Colt Mustang clone within the Semi Autos forums, part of the Other Firearms category; http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...p238-380-1911/ The Shot Show revealed SIGs new .380 mousegun, and it's generally getting good reviews. Unlike the LCP it's a SA and roughly the same ...

Thread: New SIG P238 .380 Colt Mustang clone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 New SIG P238 .380 Colt Mustang clone 
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...p238-380-1911/

The Shot Show revealed SIGs new .380 mousegun, and it's generally getting good reviews. Unlike the LCP it's a SA and roughly the same size as the old Colt Mustang. I've read SIG recently bought Colt's old Mustang production facilities, I guess this is why.

From the press release:

SIG SAUER, Inc., the leading manufacturer of commercial, law enforcement, and military
    firearms, proudly introduces the P238, in .380 ACP; specifically designed as a concealed carry or backup
    handgun for legally armed citizens or law enforcement professionals.

Reacting to many requests from the marketplace for a subcompact SIG SAUER pistol, engineers designed the new P238 as a smart looking, small handgun built with the same accuracy and reliability as large frame SIG SAUER pistols.

With an overall length of just 5.5 inches a height of 3.96 inches, and weighing just under a pound, the SIG SAUER P238 is the ultimate firepower in an all metal frame concealed pistol. The P238 is built on an anodized alloy beavertail style frame with fluted aluminum grips for comfort and a secure hold during rapid-fire usage. The stainless steel slide features the popular SIG SAUER slide serrations and improves overall performance and accuracy.

Additionally, the contrast or SIGLITEŽ Night Sights are removable and adjustable for windage. The sear and trigger return spring are redesigned to prevent spring over-ride of the ejector during assembly.

Two finishes are available; Two- tone and corrosion resistant NitronŽ. The new SIG SAUER P238 is shipped in a lockable hard case with one 6 round magazine at an MSRP starting at $515.00 for the NitronŽ with contrasting sights.

I always kicked myself for not buying a Mustang new, I had at one time a Llama .380 SA which was sloppy and poorly finsihed, but it shot great and was a fun little gun.

2. #2 Re: New SIG P238 .380 Colt Mustang clone 
    other than those butt ugly sig grips, it should be a nice addition to thier line. Can't knock the 1911 look ever, Not sure it would be my choice for a 380 due to size and weight but for sig, this is small small and it looks like they took the easy way out of doing it to, They either copied the old colt version or bought the rights to it.. Maybe a set of colt grips would make it truly what it is..?
    "JUST SHOOT IT LIKE U STOLE IT"!!

3. #3 Re: New SIG P238 .380 Colt Mustang clone 
    I kind of like the grips...

Anyway, it's a good looking little sub-compact. I think the weight might be a discouraging factor though when there are much lighter .380's on the market. I'd look into maybe getting one. Depends on feel/weight

4. #4 Re: New SIG P238 .380 Colt Mustang clone 
    I like the looks of it! It sort of has a military look to it. Can't wait to get a look at one. I don't currently own any Sig's.
    Just because you know you're paranoid doesn't mean somebody's not out to get you

5. #5 Re: New SIG P238 .380 Colt Mustang clone 
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertPunisher425
    I kind of like the grips...

Anyway, it's a good looking little sub-compact. I think the weight might be a discouraging factor though when there are much lighter .380's on the market. I'd look into maybe getting one. Depends on feel/weight

plus single action also. not sure I would want this gun in category #1 and being in my front pocket. FWIW IMO

6. #6 Re: New SIG P238 .380 Colt Mustang clone 
    Jocko, what is the difference in size and weight between the Kahr PM9 and the P238? If they are similar, to me, the Kahr is the way to go. 9mm vs. .380? No brainer.
    "Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars."

7. #7 Re: New SIG P238 .380 Colt Mustang clone 
    Quote Originally Posted by kraigster414
    Jocko, what is the difference in size and weight between the Kahr PM9 and the P238? If they are similar, to me, the Kahr is the way to go. 9mm vs. .380? No brainer.
    sig says one pound for the P238, and it is bigger than the PM9, not by much but bigger, 2 ounces heavier and yes indeed 380 vs 9mm, no contest. I like the colt mustang looks, whats not to like about the looks of a 1911 but a singele action in a 380, just not my cup of tea, would make a nice range gun or home gun but I can't see carrying a SA pocket rocket. Maybe just me. compare that sig 380 at one pound to the taurus 380 at 8.5 ounces. tell me what you will carry if u had to..

and I ain't knocking sigs either. This for them is their first entry into the small compact world and it looks to me like they took the easy road into it by copying the Colt mustang.

I guess to me it makes me wonder how in the hell kahr could come out with a stainless version striker fired 9mm that weight 14 ounces. or for that matter their P380 in stainless and striker fired at 9.9 ounces..

Course you know me kraigster, I am alittle prejudice towards karhs but one has to give cred it where credit is due.

I think the taurus 9mm in 17 ounce version will be a sure seller. It looks good. Its only competition IMO is kahrs line and we all know kahrs are not low priced guns. Haven't a clue as to what the titanium 9mm in the taurus will cost, but they claim a $100 more for a titanium slide in the TCP 380, so at least that much if not more for the taurus 9mm titanium. Also not sure if either one is striker fired or hammer fired.. Not sure if they have dovetails sites on the 9mm either, no top phots yet, this would add to the overall production price also. They say the TCP 380 has practically no sites. I guess you can say my lcp has sites or bumps on top of the slide for reference points.

all in all I think Taurus has two possable hits here, price will not be as low as the lcp or the kt's but will be close in the standard steel version and I do like that extended 2 round magazine for the 380. I sure loved it on my kt 32, which on that little pea shooter actually gave me 11 rounds. Just think a possable 9 round 380 that will still fit in ur pocket. or better yet your back up magazine being an 8 rounder...

8. #8 Re: New SIG P238 .380 Colt Mustang clone 
    I wouldn't disregard the new SIG just yet. SIG is pretty well known for developing their line of firearms; this P238 may just be the first stop on a road to a 9mm or even .40 on the same basic platform. SIG also likes to offer loads of trigger options (DA/SA, DAO, DAK, SA), and generally speaking, most of their pistols can be had in any trigger option you want. I'd look for further developments in the design within the next year or two.

This pistol could turn into a real contender with some more development. Time will tell...

9. #9 Re: New SIG P238 .380 Colt Mustang clone 
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertPunisher425
    I wouldn't disregard the new SIG just yet. SIG is pretty well known for developing their line of firearms; this P238 may just be the first stop on a road to a 9mm or even .40 on the same basic platform. SIG also likes to offer loads of trigger options (DA/SA, DAO, DAK, SA), and generally speaking, most of their pistols can be had in any trigger option you want. I'd look for further developments in the design within the next year or two.

This pistol could turn into a real contender with some more development. Time will tell...
    u mioght be right, but I doubt if you willsee anychanges to this colt mustang. Just my opinion..

10. #10 Re: New SIG P238 .380 Colt Mustang clone 
    As I sit here, my Colt Pocketlite Mustang is laid on top of my PM9. With the beavertail the colt is about an eighth of an inch longer and the same height. The Colt slide is .75 in wide and the PM9 is .893 of an inch wide. Weight fully loaded is about the same with the Colt weighing just a bit less. For carry I prefer the LCP or PM9 to the Colt since I carry the Colt fully loaded with the hammer at half cock and safety on. That requires two steps in preparing to fire for the Colt that you don't have to worry about with the LCP or PM9.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads