SIG vs. KIMBER vs. KAHR

This is a discussion on SIG vs. KIMBER vs. KAHR within the Semi Autos forums, part of the Other Firearms category; Like most of you I own and carry an LCP. With the type of work I do (contractor), the LCP is the perfect work companion. ...

Thread: SIG vs. KIMBER vs. KAHR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 SIG vs. KIMBER vs. KAHR 
    Like most of you I own and carry an LCP. With the type of work I do (contractor), the LCP is the perfect work companion. I think I will always keep it as a work carry. However, I am considering a higher end 9mm pocket pistol for when I am not working. I have pretty much (by searching websites and forums) narrowed my search to 3 pistols. The Sig Sauer P290, the Kimber Solo and the Kahr PM9 or CM9. If you take price out of the decision making, which one would you trust your life to. Also, am I overlooking something?

2. #2 Re: SIG vs. KIMBER vs. KAHR 
    rayzer007
    I think they're all fine guns, and each would have its supporters; really your choice; can't go wrong with any of these! My 2 cents.
    Ray

3. #3 Re: SIG vs. KIMBER vs. KAHR 
    What Ray said.

4. #4 Re: SIG vs. KIMBER vs. KAHR 
    ROB S, I am in a similar situation. My LCP is great for work (I'm a sales rep and have to wear dress clothes) but I really want a small 9mm to carry when I can. I've held the Sig and both of the Kahrs you mentioned, but I can not get my hands on a Kimber Solo. The only gunshop in Southwest Virginia that has even had a Solo is Gander Mountain, and they have only had a couple that both lasted a matter of hours before being sold.

The only ones I can think of that you are overlooking (since you said to take price out of the decision making) is the Rohrbaugh R9 and R9S.

5. #5 Re: SIG vs. KIMBER vs. KAHR 
    The all stainless kimber is tasty looking. I have held one and liked it but it was for ordering display only and you can't find them anywhere.
    The LC9 is not much bigger ( http://www.armspost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108 ) and is half the price. I know it's not a cadillac gun but it hasn't jammed or failed once in 500 rounds at the range.
    You could try it out and then trade it in or sell toward a kimber when they become more available.
    I have not been carrying my LC9 much but it feels a lot heavier in the pocket loaded than the LCP does, so I'm sure the Kimber will be as heavy.
    This link shows LCP vs Kimber Solo and shows just how small the kimber is and makes me drool ( http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=878175 )

I would like a Kimber and almost bought one the other day but they wanted $799 + CC fee and FFL fee, which I know is price gouging right now and said no.
    Matter of fact I would take any of the guns you mentioned if the price was right

6. #6 Re: SIG vs. KIMBER vs. KAHR 
    I held a Kimber solo at the LGS. Fits my hand just right, but it's real slick. No checkering on the front or backstrap. With my sweaty hands, I'd probably have a hard time keeping it on target shooting 9mm out of a sub 3" barrel. I did a search for "checkered Kimber Solo", and that brought me to the new Kimber Solo CDP that will be released this summer: http://www.kimber1911pistols.com/tag/kimber-solo-carry/ That's a sweet gun, but it's hard to argue for it when it is well over double the price of a Kahr CM9 w/laser.

The Solo is definitely pocketable (as is the PM/CM) size-wise, but they are noticeably heavier than the LCP. I doubt you'd forget you have either of them in your pocket. I think the only pocketable 9 I've held was the Kel-Tec PF9. That gun feels like a piece of junk in my hand, but recently I've been looking at it more and more. NutNFancy has a long video where he has 4 or 5 guys shoot the PF9 and the LC9 and they all preferred the PF9 in terms of accuracy, trigger feel, and general like/dislike. I like the idea of carrying something that I won't really care about getting dinged up. My only real beef with the gun (besides the crappy feel) is that there isn't much room in the trigger guard in front of the trigger. They tried to put an accessory rail on the front and it really jams up the space. With a glove on, I'm not even sure I could get my finger in there.

7. #7 Re: SIG vs. KIMBER vs. KAHR 
    There have been videos on youtube showing the Solo mag popping out because of the ambi mag release....
    While shooting part of the hand hits the mag release and out goes the mag....
    Life is to short to shoot ugly guns....May Glocks live forever....

8. #8 Re: SIG vs. KIMBER vs. KAHR 
    The Kahr PM9 is a proven and reliable design, and has a great trigger. The CM9, being a very close brother to the PM9 is getting very good reviews.

If you want to carry one in the pipe, you have to be o.k. with carrying the SIG cocked and locked.

I've read mixed reviews on Kimber. Very pricey and new. She's a sweet looker though.

I am biased because I have and like very much a Kahr MK9, but given the same choice as you, I would probably pick either the PM9 or CM9.

Rob

9. #9 Re: SIG vs. KIMBER vs. KAHR 
    I've had a Kahr P9 and a P40 for more years than I care to remember. Stopped counting at 3000 rounds through each one and I've never had a problem after the first 200 round break-ins.
    Back then Kahr recommended not carrying one for self defense until you put 200 rounds through it. Took about 150 rds until the 9 settled down and only 3 mags thru the 40 and it has not missed a beat since. The other's mentioned are also fine guns. Probably can't go much wrong with any of them.

10. #10 Re: SIG vs. KIMBER vs. KAHR 
    Looked at a Sig and found it heavy. Found the Kimber to be generally unavailable except for the demo dummy pistol in a local shop.. PM9 has been an overall joy to own and carry. I've heard very positive things about the CM9, but have not seen one in person.

It's a tough choice, but it's nice to have so many options.
    Avid Mouse Gunner and author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads