Mark IV 22/45 range report. - Page 2

Mark IV 22/45 range report.

This is a discussion on Mark IV 22/45 range report. within the Ruger MK III forums, part of the Ruger Standard & MK Pistols category; Originally Posted by Verticoli Have you more than one magazine? Might be something to try. Aftermarket extractors help sometime but not in the way you ...

Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Mark IV 22/45 range report.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Mark IV 22/45 range report. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Verticoli View Post
    Have you more than one magazine? Might be something to try.

Aftermarket extractors help sometime but not in the way you might think.

The only time it actually extracts a shell is if hand cycled.

Otherwise, it's a pivot. And it may hold the shell rim against the breech face. Or, maybe not.

The bolt moves rearward by blow back. A Newton Law. The shell case drives it. when the case hits the ejector, the case pivots over the extractor.
    Yessir, both magazines seemed to be be equal. No extraction problems this time out. The problem came when feeding the next round. Only with the Velocitors. They are hollow points so maybe that was an issue. Next trip I'll be trying Mini-Mags, Stingers and standard velocity CCI. I have a nice stash of CCI so I was hoping to use it. Might have to save it for my 10/22.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2. #12 Re: Mark IV 22/45 range report. 
    OK, another thing about the extractor is that as the rounds are fed, the rim slides up the breech face and under the extractor.

IOW, if the breech face is rough, the rim will not slide up and under the extractor.

If the rim on a case is just a fraction thick, or if the extractor pushes the round over a fraction too far
    you may get that broken round look.

I would just find rounds that feed OK and load and shoot 'till good and hot, clean and repeat.

And order a new extractor or look at how to re - profile the stock one.
    "Throw me some chicken!"

3. #13 Re: Mark IV 22/45 range report. 
    Personally, I would not even put a "CCI Velocitors" in a 22.cal handgun. Nor judge any handgun by their use. Hand guns are short barrel and all that velocity is is lost in the first place as it needs more length for the ammo to burn. Just a waste of money and the size of the Cartridge in my opinion is not meant for any quality hand gun. Just rifles. Probably Bolt Actions. The Ruger should be built to more precision, closer tolerance's for handgun ammo. Not longer high velocity ammo casings
    Forget "STINGERS" in this pistol. Why are you looking for high velocity rounds to make the gun function? This gun should do well on target ammo, not high velocity ammo. Call Ruger if it is not functioning properly on on standard ammo. You paid a lot of money for this Pistol, and it is not living up to the Ruger standards. Even my SR22 eats anything you put into it like M&Ms. And I would never dream of putting a Velocitor, or stinger into this gun. And forget a after market Extractor. Seriously!
    xcrdr likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #14 Re: Mark IV 22/45 range report. 
    Cool, thanks. Good advice guys. I didn't plan on running the Velocitors or the Stingers on a regular basis just kind of getting an idea of what feeds. From now on following your advice I will stick to target ammo for the Mark and reserve the higher velocity rounds for my rifles. It is good to know in particular situations which rounds of ammo do and do not feed in your particular weapons so I will chalk this up as a learning experience. I still can't wait to get this out to the range again. I didn't think I'd have this much fun shooting a 22.

Last edited by xcrdr; 01-30-2017 at 07:24 PM.

6. #15 Re: Mark IV 22/45 range report. 
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrdr View Post
    Cool, thanks. Good advice guys. I didn't plan on running the Velocitors or the Stingers on a regular basis just kind of getting an idea of what feeds. From now on following your advice I will stick to target ammo for the Mark and reserve the higher velocity rounds for my rifles. It is good to know in particular situations which rounds of ammo do and do not feed in your particular weapons so I will chalk this up as a learning experience. I still can't wait to get this out to the range again. I didn't think I'd have this much fun shooting a 22.

Thanks for all your range reports and keep them coming. I am in the market for one of these and as much info as I can get helps. Hope things work out for you.
    xcrdr likes this.

7. #16 Re: Mark IV 22/45 range report. 
    Another trip out today. 140 rounds Federal Auto Match. Ran flawlessly for me. Still nice and accurate of course. Wife had 2 hang ups. A stove pipe and a FTE. I'm guessing limp wristing. When I told her to firm up the grip no more problems. Then I ran 40 Mini Mags. If course it was hitting higher than the Federal as expected but no issues that the Velocitors had. Still very pleased. The range now has the black Lite in stock so just maybe.....

davevabch likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads