Ruger Mark I - Standard

Ruger Mark I - Standard

This is a discussion on Ruger Mark I - Standard within the Ruger MK I forums, part of the Ruger Standard & MK Pistols category; I got a phone call from a friend this afternoon telling me that a local Lawmen’s had taken in some firearms on consignment. One was ...

Thread: Ruger Mark I - Standard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ruger Mark I - Standard 

I got a phone call from a friend this afternoon telling me that a local Lawmen’s had taken in some firearms on consignment. One was a Ruger Mark 1. I went over after doing some research. It was a Ruger Mark 1. She had a blue carbon steel finish, a 4 3/4s in barrel. The sights were partridge style, fixed and open, the rear sight mounted in a dove tail. You have to lock the bolt back by using the safety.

Ruger produced these from 1949 to 1982. Guys coming back from WWII wanting to do some range time with a 22LR caliber semi-automatic appreciated the cost of the new Ruger compared to the cost of a Colt, Smith &Wesson or Hi Standard. Back in the late 50’s and 60’s these sold for $25.00.

They were asking $400.00 and these guys aren’t allowed to negotiate. She’s in great shape and I reluctantly shelled out the bucks. I’d done my research before going over and although she had been made in 1973, she was in great shape. A couple of my references list it as starting at $850. NIB, $743. Ex and $572. Gd. These are lowball figures.

I brought her home and popped her apart. Inside I found manufacturers grease that had hardened like wax, in over 40 years of sitting in a drawer somewhere. The barrel is a little dim but she should shine right up. I’ve bought several old guns over the years that folks bought home and for whatever reason never fired.

Adding the Mark 1 or Standard to the collection gives me a Mark I, Mark II and a Mark III 22-45. I got to drag the I and II to the gun range and compare the two. They had a GP100 in 357 Magnum and a Single Six in the same caliber but since I’d just bought a GP100 last week I passed.
    I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

2. #2 Re: Ruger Mark I - Standard 
    Congrats on another great addition to your collection.

3. #3 Re: Ruger Mark I - Standard 

I’ve always wanted to get another Mark 1. I’ve been interested in how it compares to the Japanese Nambu Type 34.

I can see some commonalties between the two. The Nambu, German Luger P08 and Colt Woodsman inspired Bill Ruger in his initial designs but he added some original ideas that made it unique.

Now that I've found this one, just like with the Mark II, a couple of other one will show up. They're hard to find in these parts, until you get one.
    I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Ruger Mark I - Standard 
    Nice, very nice!
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

6. #5 Re: Ruger Mark I - Standard 
    Very Nice ......

7. #6 Re: Ruger Mark I - Standard 

I had a busy weekend with a beach trip to the Isle of Palms and then doing some shopping in downtown Charleston the next day.

Ruger Mark I - Standard-img336.jpg

I popped the Ruger Standard or Mark I apart and cleaned her up. The bolt is a before and after shot.

Ruger Standards and Marks I, II, III are easily disassembled, for me but the reassembly can be difficult. I've done all three now and found Ruger Mark III 22-45s to be the more difficult. The Standard or Mark I did give me some moments.

Here's a video with a Lady who uses an angled piece of wood for assistance and also swings a great rubber mallet. This by the way is one of the better videos on line about the Standard or Mark I.

8. #7 Re: Ruger Mark I - Standard 
    A few years ago, I was shooting steel plates with a S&W 22A at my local (members only) range when I noticed a young man beside me who was knocking down ten-of-ten every time with an obviously old gun. Walking over and telling him that he wasn't "that good" (lol), I asked him what the heck he was shooting. He told me his grandfather had passed away and left his Mark I to him. He offered to let me shoot it.

It was the sweetest .22 pistol I had ever shot. It simply didn't miss, even in my hands.

On the way home, I stopped at my LGS and bought a new Mark III (they obviously didn't have a Mark I). My S&W 22A has been in the safe ever since. That Mark X series is really nice, and I'm admiring your "find" of the Mark I in such fine condition.

Just sharing...
    It's not the wand. It's the wizard.

9. #8 Re: Ruger Mark I - Standard 
    Ruger Mark I - Standard-copy-08-14-13-fishing-trip-17-.jpg

I own a stack or two of firearms. The Ruger Standard-Mark I that I shot when I was a kid, inherited and lost has always been the one that got away. So finding one in this condition is a big plus. She's cleaned up nicely.

Ruger Mark I - Standard-copy-08-14-13-fishing-trip-13-.jpg

I went fishing yesterday and they were biting for a while. I've had a busy week and this weekends about the same. Next week I'm going to get a range trip in with the Mark I & II just to see how they work out on a range. The Mark III 22-45 has a red dot sight, I'm looking forward to some old fashioned iron sight shooting.

10. #9 Re: Ruger Mark I - Standard 
    Nice Mark I.

I have a Mark II that I don't shoot often enough.

11. #10 Re: Ruger Mark I - Standard 
    Began serious Bullseye with my Mark 1 model 512 the 5 1/2in. Bullbarrel......Was a great purchase that I still have. afish4570

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads