New SR22PB failure to feed

This is a discussion on New SR22PB failure to feed within the Rimfire forums, part of the Other Firearms category; I got this gun after seeing the great reviews, but it's been nothing but trouble for me. I've cleaned it before using it, both times ...

Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New SR22PB failure to feed

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 New SR22PB failure to feed 
    New User
    I got this gun after seeing the great reviews, but it's been nothing but trouble for me. I've cleaned it before using it, both times I've gone shooting, using a brush and Hopps M-Pro 7 cleaner. Shooting between 1 and 200 rounds of mixed Remington Gold JHP and Winchester copper jacketed. I am getting FTFs 1-2/10 rounds I put through, getting progressively worse the more I shoot, until I'm barely breaking 50%. The rounds are jamming up against the feed ramp. On one of the photos, you can see the dirty vs clean strip. This is my first rimfire, and only my second gun, so maybe I'm doing something stupid. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-=LeadIsTasty

New SR22PB failure to feed-sr22.jpgNew SR22PB failure to feed-sr22-2.jpgNew SR22PB failure to feed-sr22-3.jpg

2. #2 re: New SR22PB failure to feed 
    I had a few FTE with my SR22 after running around 400 rounds through it. The pistol does seem to collect a good bit of crud when firing, cleaning it every couple hundred rounds helps but the best cure was to fire CCI Minimag through it. Seems when it gets a bit of dirt or carbon in it the slightly stronger kick of the CCI makes it feed a little better. It is odd though, I had no problems with other brands of ammo for the first 300+ rounds.

3. #3 re: New SR22PB failure to feed 
    Be sure you aren't pulling the magazine button all the way down and dropping the rounds in. Just pull it down far enough to feed additional rounds and release it for tension against the follower between rounds. The ammo doesn't always stack properly if they're just dropped in which can lead to feeding problems.

I'm guessing that you've read all the posts regarding the loose barrel screw and take down lever so keep an eye on them as well. I've had mine since March and haven't had any problems at all. Good luck.

4. #4 Re: New SR22PB failure to feed 
    Quote Originally Posted by number2son View Post
    Be sure you aren't pulling the magazine button all the way down and dropping the rounds in. Just pull it down far enough to feed additional rounds and release it for tension against the follower between rounds. The ammo doesn't always stack properly if they're just dropped in which can lead to feeding problems.

I'm guessing that you've read all the posts regarding the loose barrel screw and take down lever so keep an eye on them as well. I've had mine since March and haven't had any problems at all. Good luck.
    Good advice. I had to break a range buddy of the habit of not loading single rounds and flexing the spring for tension on the follower. Actually he asked the quesion after he'd had a few mess up and bought the explaination. .22LRs are pickky.
    I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one in case trouble finds me.

5. #5 Re: New SR22PB failure to feed 
    New User

I don't load from the top, ... though something interesting about the mags, I have to give them a good wallop to get them to lock in. Never had to do that w/ any other gun. It's like the tolerances of this particular thing are just off a bit.

6. #6 Re: New SR22PB failure to feed 
    New User

Thanks, I do try and pull down for just 1 round. And I did not see anything about the barrel or td. Thanks for the heads up. Just pulled the thing apart and stuff seems solid. I got some wax covered rounds by mistake and I'm not sure if I even want to try them in this guy. But like I said in the other post, I think tolerances might be off in this particular one given the fact that the mag does not lock in w/o being smacked.

7. #7 Re: New SR22PB failure to feed 
    Before you give up on this gun, give Ruger CS a call and see if they have a better take on this. They may want to see it back home to figure it out. They're the ones who will ultimately repair it for you.

Has anybody else fired it and have they had any problems like you've experienced?

In the mean time, maybe someone else here may have a clue as to what the problem may be.

8. #8 Re: New SR22PB failure to feed 
    be sure the barrel is NOT loose! This is a big issue for many new owners. It has been discussed on this forum and others. A very simple fix. There is a screw under the trigger guard. simply unscrew it. Take off the barrel, clean out and use some blue loctight. Hope this solves your problem.
    Dave@vabch

9. #9 Re: New SR22PB failure to feed 
    Quit using Rem Goldens, They FTFeed and FTFire in my 10/22, my PT-22 and my 22A,%10 to %15 of the time. That's 1-2 per mag.

New User
    Try using mini mags for 200 to 300 rounds and then try different brands. I did that w mine and I have no issues.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads