Remington 1100 - Good skeet / Trap gun ?

This is a discussion on Remington 1100 - Good skeet / Trap gun ? within the Rifles, Shotguns, & other Long Guns forums, part of the Other Firearms category; Have been thinking about shooting some clays. Used to have a Remington 1100, 12 gauge and really liked the gun, but did end up selling ...

Thread: Remington 1100 - Good skeet / Trap gun ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Remington 1100 - Good skeet / Trap gun ? 
    Have been thinking about shooting some clays. Used to have a Remington 1100, 12 gauge and really liked the gun, but did end up selling it. Once also used an 1100 to shoot some clays at a resort and also thought that it was great shooting the clays.

Now that I am retired and thinking about things to keep myself busy, I have once again thought about shooting some clays, with my son-in-law.
    Have looked at quite a few over and unders, but keep coming back to the Remington 1100.

From you folks, I am looking for opinions on the Remington 1100 and or opinions on other shotguns that you would recommend for clay shooting. I am not really limited in budget, but might like to keep my purchase at around $1,000.00 or less.

Thanks in advance your your time and input.

2. #2 Re: Remington 1100 - Good skeet / Trap gun ? 
    I loved my 1100 Gran. Even though I never developed the skills with it as my skeet idle Gene Sears, It proved to be an all around wonderful shotgun. I loved the vented ribbed barrel, the relatively light weight of the weapon, and the fine mechanical design and craftsmanship. I ended up selling it nearly 28 years ago when I was expecting the arrival of my third child. I have longed to have another ever since and will undoubtedly acquire one within the next years or so. I don't get an opportunity to quail, pheasant, duck, or goose hut anymore but still remember what a great shotgun the 1100 was back in the day. I really felt the 1100 made me a much better shot/hunter than I every really was in reality. It was a really well balanced all around shotgun. I know the great skeet marksmen have used much finer shotguns to perfect their craft but for a mere wannabe, the 1100 proves a marvelous choice in my humble op pinion.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 of my neighbors than carried by 6 of my dearest friends. Be prepared!

3. #3 Re: Remington 1100 - Good skeet / Trap gun ? 
    As in my previous post, I shot the 1100 at a resorts skeet range. They put up 25 clays for me and I hit 25. Range officer made the statement to me that you must have been shooting clays for a long time. My reply to him was ......... NO, this is my first time.

But then again, I was shooting the 1100 of which I was accustomed to and that is another reason why I am now again leaning towards another 1100.

4. #4 Re: Remington 1100 - Good skeet / Trap gun ? 
    To answer your question, yes it is a good clays gun.

If you're serious about shooting a lot of clays, then you'll probably want to reload to save a few bucks and experiment with different velocities, etc. In this case, the 1100 is less desirable than an O/U due to having to chase the hulls. If you're like me, bending over to round up all the spent hulls becomes a bit of a chore, but I had major back surgery this year. The auto is a bit more trouble to clean than an O/U, but I never minded spending time with my guns to give them a proper cleaning.

Take a look over at shotgunworld.com and you'll find a lot of info on the 1100 and other guns.

5. #5 Re: Remington 1100 - Good skeet / Trap gun ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by valkrider
    To answer your question, yes it is a good clays gun.

If you're serious about shooting a lot of clays, then you'll probably want to reload to save a few bucks and experiment with different velocities, etc. In this case, the 1100 is less desirable than an O/U due to having to chase the hulls. If you're like me, bending over to round up all the spent hulls becomes a bit of a chore, but I had major back surgery this year. The auto is a bit more trouble to clean than an O/U, but I never minded spending time with my guns to give them a proper cleaning.

Take a look over at shotgunworld.com and you'll find a lot of info on the 1100 and other guns.
    Thanks for your input. And actually I was considering an O/U, but then again the question arises, what manufacturer ? Was at one of our local gun shops a few months ago and viewed some nice O/U's. But the strange thing is they were not made in this country. Can not remember the exact country but I am quite sure that is was one of the Slavic countries, or maybe even Russia itself.

Any suggestions on a decent over and under ?

6. #6 Re: Remington 1100 - Good skeet / Trap gun ? 
    A standard 1100 may not be the best choice. Remington does make an 1100 trap and an 1100 skeet model. Owned both and both were good guns. Skeet models usually have the shorter barrel and while you can get a shell catcher you usually shoot two rounds per station...so you would be picking up a lot of empties. The trap models have a middle bead which is useful for trap and since you only shoot one round at a time (except for doubles) a shell catcher would work. Always hated shooting trap next to an auto without a shell catcher!
    As far as over/unders either a Browning or a Beretta would be good choices. As my user name indicates I'm partial to Krieghoff K-80's...both over/unders and unsingles.

7. #7 Re: Remington 1100 - Good skeet / Trap gun ? 
    As far as autoloaders, the 1100 is fine for casual clays shooting. It is not optimized for the game, and its biggest disadvantage is that it requires more frequent cleaning to operate reliably than say, a Beretta. An 1100 really needs to be cleaned after about 100 rds, whereas a Beretta more like 400. Not much of a problem if you aren't shooting more than 100 a day because they all should be cleaned after a day at the traps. Could be a big problem on a dove shoot in Argentina, though! Benellis seem to shoot reliably after thousands of rounds without cleaning, and a lot of competitors shoot them (among those who shoot autoloaders). They are probably a little above your price limit, but maybe not much. The Remington will be the least expensive, and the Beretta falls between the Rem and the Benelli in price. If you want an all-around Remington that will shoot both 2-3/4 and 3 in. shells, go with the Rem. 11-87, which is basically the same as an 1100 but it will compensate for the difference in the shell lengths without any effort on your part. Just stick either type in and bang away.

For clays, I much prefer O/Us. The two barrels lend momentum (i.e. follow-through) to the swing, and a good one has great balance. They are simple actions with extremely good reliability, and can shoot as many rounds in a day as you can stand without the need for cleaning to remain reliable (still need to clean them or any gun at the end of the day!) Mossberg has a very affordable O/U out made in...Turkey (I think) as do a couple other manufacturers. However, like the previous poster I would recommend a Browning or Beretta. Their enty-level guns are just as solid as their upper-end ones (albeit less fancy). A Beretta Silver Pigeon or Browning Citori Lightning can be purchased new in the 11-1200 range, I think, with careful shopping - maybe a little more. A used one should be within your stated price preference. One of these is the route I'd go. They make great field guns, too (these models really ARE field guns that adapt well to clays). I also found that, after shooting an 1100 or 11-87 through most of my teens and twenties, my scores went up quickly (by a modest amount) when I switched to an O/U. I just shoot them better. I think this is a very common occurence, since a majority of serious clays shooters choose O/Us.

One other note - if you go the O/U route, you might want to add a couple inches to the barrel length than what you would want for your autoloader. I'd go with 28 in. minimum, and 30s are maybe even better. The latest fad is 32 or 34 in. in competition guns. The shorter receiver length of an O/U makes the total length of the gun shorter than an autoloader with the same length barrel. Longer barrels swing better, but the 32s and 34s can get a little unwieldy for field use if you take it hunting. My favorite all-around O/U has 28s.

8. #8 Re: Remington 1100 - Good skeet / Trap gun ? 
    Thanks VH20 for all the input. Presently I have been looking at and leaning towards an O/U.

I just talked to an office at a local shooting club that I intend to join, and he did state that most of their members are shooting O/U's. But I also questioned him about the gauge and he stated that most were shooting light 12 gauge loads and some were also shooting 20 gauge.

I am leaning towards the 12 gauge, but also considering a smaller gauge. Any input on the gauge size ? Also, I most likely go be going with a 28" barrel, even though I have read where a lot of shooters are leaning towards the longer barrels. But as one professional stated, " the longer barrel only puts you a couple of inches closer to the target ".

9. #9 Re: Remington 1100 - Good skeet / Trap gun ? 
    The 1100 is a great gun... you can't go wrong with it. However, are you planning on using it for anything else? If I could only have one shotgun (although I am a Browning man) it would be a semi automatic 12 gauge. You can do just about anything with it. Ducks, Dove, Quail, Rabbit, Deer, Home Defense, etc, etc, etc, etc. However, if I were looking for a skeet / trap gun... I would go with a 28" O/U. I currently have a 26" O/U 20 gauge that I LOVE (Browning Citori). Browing and Beretta both make some FINE O/U's. I also have a Browning side by side 12 guage, and a Browning 12 gauge Gold Hunter (semi auto). Out of all three of them, I prefer and shoot the O/U 20 guage the best.

As far as guage goes, if you ask me, there isn't a ton of difference between the 20 and 12 guage when it comes to skeet / trap shooting. I think the 20 will make you a better shot, and you will certainly be less painful to shoot than a 12. Good luck in your endeavor and let us know what you end up going with.

Glock 19, Glock 27, Taurus 85, Kel Tec P32, Ruger LCP, Taurus 1911

10. #10 Re: Remington 1100 - Good skeet / Trap gun ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Granpooba
    Thanks VH20 for all the input. Presently I have been looking at and leaning towards an O/U.

I just talked to an office at a local shooting club that I intend to join, and he did state that most of their members are shooting O/U's. But I also questioned him about the gauge and he stated that most were shooting light 12 gauge loads and some were also shooting 20 gauge.

I am leaning towards the 12 gauge, but also considering a smaller gauge. Any input on the gauge size ? Also, I most likely go be going with a 28" barrel, even though I have read where a lot of shooters are leaning towards the longer barrels. But as one professional stated, " the longer barrel only puts you a couple of inches closer to the target ".
    Go with a 12 gauge for starters. If recoil is an issue just buy lighter loads. For a relative beginner more pellets out of the barrel is better so go with the bigger gauge. 28" barrel is a fine all purpose length. If you get serious about it you can always move longer in length by buying another barrel or trading guns. Just jump in and get started. this sport is kind of like golf. Some guys spend a forutne on the best equipment and still get beat by some hillbilly with second hand stuff. Shoot often and then you can always spend more money on equipment later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads