New WASR 10/63

This is a discussion on New WASR 10/63 within the Rifles, Shotguns, & other Long Guns forums, part of the Other Firearms category; After talking my wife and my one year old's ears off over the past couple days with only a "cool, thats nice" and "goooo" for ...

Thread: New WASR 10/63

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New WASR 10/63 
    After talking my wife and my one year old's ears off over the past couple days with only a "cool, thats nice" and "goooo" for responses, I just had to tell someone....

Just bought a new WASR 10/63 ak-47 last weekend for $399.00. Came with one Tapco and one steel mag, both work great. The other surplus stuff were included as well: oil can, cleaning kit, and maybe some other piece of junk that I can't remember. After looking for a while, I believe this was a pretty decent deal. Slightly cheaper deals were to be found online, but I believe this CAI import really needs a hands on inspection. I chose this particular piece out of five WASR's, due to it's minimal mag wobble, no detectable sight cant, and the best wood (to refinish) out of the bunch. 1980 was stamped on the trunion along with that arrow in the triangle (some particular factory, not sure which).

Took her to the range today. 60 rounds (wolf military, steel case fmj) ran smooth with no ftf or fte or wierdness of any kind. No sight adjustment needed. 3" group at 50 yards, and I'm sure a better shooter could have shot tighter than that. It just ran smooth and I loved the feel of the thing. Gonna re-finish that wood soon (turned out well on my Draco). I have read a million bad century arms quality stories, but after buying, shooting, and loving two of their products- I think they are a good value. Maybe the newer WASR that they're sending out are of much better quality than previous entries.

2. #2 Re: New WASR 10/63 
    Congrats, Tex. I bought 2 SAR 1 Romanian AKMs about 8 years ago before Rep. Governor John Jailbird Rowland expanded the CT. State AWB to include all AK-types chambering 7.62x39. Had to register to keep the AK-types in CT. You'll hear more B.S. about the WASR AKM, but ignore it. My friends WASR 10 outshoots both of my SAR1s @100 and 50 yards. I'll guess the sights are reasonably square with minimal cant on your WASR? Both my SAR1s are slightly canted, but I can open a soda can @100 yards with ease with either rifle. The big complaint with the WASR is the remachined magazine well and canted sights. What's a little magazine wobble? It's an AK, it's made to rattle. My 2001 SAR 1 has well over 6000 rounds through it. I can remember maybe 2 or 3 jams with HP ammo. Enjoy your WASR. Can't beat the cool factor of an AKM. Sad note, back in 2002, you could get 1000 rounds of Wolf 7.62x39 FMJ delivered to your door for under $70 and 30 round surplus magazines were selling for $6 to $10 each. More expensive nowadays. Any trigger slap on the WASR? My 2001 had just a hint of trigger slap when I first bought it, but nothing of concern.

3. #3 Re: New WASR 10/63 
    Thanks. No trigger slap, it has a single hook Tapco G2 trigger installed, very nice and clean (haven't measured- but seems lighter than my LCP ). The job done on opening the mag well was a lilltle rough with magazine guides welded in (I guess it would be called a "slick-side" ak, kinda wish it had the dimples like the draco other ak's). Those ammo prices you mentioned make me sick- gonna keep an eye out at Academy for the next time they drop price on their Monarch brand.

What is the difference between your SAR-1 and your buddies wasr?

4. #4 Re: New WASR 10/63 
    That's right, the WASR has the G2 FCG. The SAR 1 was imported by Century from 1999 to 2002. The SAR 1 differs from the WASR in that it has the "dimples" to stabilize the magazine stamped into the receiver and the magazine well is stock, high capacity compliant. I believe the WASRs come over here with a magazine well that excepts single stack mags and Century reworks the mag well to except Hi-Caps. The Century SAR1 came with a notorious Century (US) trigger assembly (FCG). The trigger was/is terrible in the original SAR 1s because they are out of spec. My beater SAR1 still has the original FCG in it after 6000 rounds. It has a little slap, but it's never been an issue. The other SAR1 (2000) had such awful trigger slap it was actually painful. Back then there weren't many options with US-made trigger assemblies (FCG) so I bought a Red Star Arms FCG for $80. The difference between the SAR 1 and the WASR is minimal. Mag dimples and the WASR has a better FCG. Funny, you mentioned the LCP. I was just checking my paint job on my LCP. I painted the front blade sight with white enamel paint. I finally can get a good sight line. As far as 7.62x39 goes, the Sportsmans Guide usually has a coupon and decent prices on Wolf. Can't say from my own experience, but I've heard nothing but negative reports on the Herter's 7.62x39 sold by Cabela's.

5. #5 Re: New WASR 10/63 
    Rik
    Congratulations BB. That things a blast to shoot. I bought one about three years ago for $329.00. Like you I shopped around and
    found one with perfectly straight sights. They had just started using the Tapco triggers and thankfully mine had one. Also came
    with mag pouch, two steel mags., oiler can, a moldy leather sling and a bayonette. Mine had a head spacing issue out of the box
    and had to go back to the factory but got it back in just 3 weeks and not one hicup since through thousands of rounds.
    Every time we have shooting get togethers everyone wants to shoot it and even bring extra ammo.

As far as accuracy, I shoot 2 liter bottles at 100-150 yds. My son and his buddy (younger eyes) were shooting them at 300 yds.
    All with just the iron sights. What more do you need? They aint pretty but they darn sure work every time you pull the trigger.
    I was planning to refinish and dress mine up but ended up deciding I wanted to keep it original. Side benefit is you don't have
    to worry about being so careful with it. I might get another one to dress up later but I'm keeping one as is.
    Have fun.

6. #6 Re: New WASR 10/63 
    Ya, I can understand not dressing it up- pricey upgrades of any kind kinda goes against the "value" I was speaking of. But, refinishing the rough stock wood can be done for next to nothin and is rather enjoyable.

7. #7 Re: New WASR 10/63 
    Rik
    Very true and I'm stilll tempted sometimes to do that to mine.

8. #8 Re: New WASR 10/63 
    Funny, the aspect I envy most about the WASR when compared to my SAR 1s is the furniture. I'll trade anyone my Romanian orange furniture from either SAR 1 for that grainy plywood on the WASR. I love the rough WASR furniture and have seen some awesome tiger grain just waiting for a clear coat to bring out the grain. I dry rubbed my 2001 SAR 1 furniture just to reduce the glare of that horrible shellac. I'd strip the wood on both guns, but there isn't much grain in the birch stocks to emphasize with poly.

9. #9 Re: New WASR 10/63 
    Well, I think I am happy with her. Stained the wood, added a slant muzzle break. Here she is:

10. #10 Re: New WASR 10/63 
    Rik
    Great. Thanks a lot. I love it. Now, I gotta do mine. That looks real nice. What color stain is that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads